Do you think there are some things which can not be put into words? | INFJ Forum

Do you think there are some things which can not be put into words?

Lark

Rothchildian Agent
May 9, 2011
MBTI
ENTJ
Enneagram

There's an episode of Suits in which one of the main characters argues the point of ballet performance is that it is an example of something which can not be put into words, would you agree or is it just want of eloquence to speak that way?

There's an episode of Suits in which one of the main characters argues the point of ballet performance is that it is an example of something which can not be put into words, would you agree or is it just want of eloquence to speak that way?

Nothing can fully be put into words. Communication is only makes another see a similar thing but not the exact thing you see in the way you see it.

If I say cow you dont see the same cow as me.

Why should everything need a word?

Why should everything need a word?

So you can share a resemblance of the unexplainable feeling.

Could you imagine if fear has no word. How would you describe it with words? Having a name for the feelings that we see allows us to share them. If there are no words to describe the dance it is A. because it is too subjective to share since the experiences will never be similar or/and B. The emotions are too complex and the true value and potential of them is lost in translation making the words just seem stale.

So you can share a resemblance of the unexplainable feeling.

Could you imagine if fear has no word. How would you describe it with words? Having a name for the feelings that we see allows us to share them. If there are no words to describe the dance it is A. because it is too subjective to share since the experiences will never be similar or/and B. The emotions are too complex and the true value and potential of them is lost in translation making the words just seem stale.

So in conclusion given B, not everything needs a word which was exactly my point.

That moment right before the free fall park ride drops you. No words can describe that. Vomit can, though.

Yeah, there something that is unspeakable. However, we can interpret it. But those language cannot be understood with just human depths, for those words are extremely vivid. But nothing will be left mystery by the one omniscient.

Well, I guess so as is it 90 per cent (?) of communication is non verbal but we understand what is being said within what is unsaid.

Well, I guess so as is it 90 per cent (?) of communication is non verbal but we understand what is being said within what is unsaid.
Like, I can't understand how was life concepted & the world in it's balance. It's marvelous yet amazing.However, existence of things and it's maintainance of various diversities is still enigmatic.

Nah, that's what the word ineffable is for.

This is getting into the realm of spirituality beyond the 'physical' realm

It is the things that cannot be measured that make life worth living; they are the seasoning to the dish!

There are definitely lots of experiences that cannot be put into words. You can try but it will never do them justice.

It just takes effort/energy to put anything into words. How much effort, and whether it is worth it, are questions to consider.

Reactions: Wyote
Personally I believe that it is usually more a question of it is difficult to put into words rather than can not be put into words, communication is difficult but not impossible and I think there is a tendency among a lot of philosophy, psychology, social sciences to conclude that difficulty equals impossiblity.

Like I think that subjectivity and intersubjectivity shouldnt be dismissed but they exaggerate the difficulties associated with communication and objectivity too.

Both the truly horrifying and the truly exaltant or good are difficult to put into words and words can prove inadequate but even the action of describing language as inadequate or falling short is effectively using words and language to some effect.

There are words, however they sound corny to describe a feeling that is not that they have fallen out of use. However, that is why inventing new words exists, or borrowing them from other languages where the words do exist.

A mother's love, I found out, is something that can't be put into words.
If love was already an enigma, then a mother's love is doubly shrouded in mystery.