Do you ever just have a blank mind? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Do you ever just have a blank mind?

also, there are moments when words and mind are transcended by the happenstance and one must simply gaze.

Oh definitely! Thinking is the last thing one can do, and should do, in such moments :)

I quite often zone out ( especially if I'm a passenger in a car ) people can often think I'm in a mood as I tend to just stare out my window and into the horizon.

Lol. Sames.

Do you ever just have a blank mind?

I.e. In the course of the day, or during conversation, does your mind just 'go blank'?

This is a common occurrence for me. It doesn't trouble me, though it can make conversations a little awkward at times for the other person haha. I usually just say: sorry my mind is blank, I'd say something if I had something to say. At least that's something. It's a blankness of mind that dominates, whilst after an interval I then begin a mental commentary - a narration voice over if you will - like one who walks into an empty room... "So... my mind is blank ey, what can I say... okay, still nothing... there's no movement at the station... I'll just wait it out or wait until they say something I can latch unto."

Hence here I am drawing a distinction between conscious higher cognitive processing and what one might call lower cognitive processing - experientially, they're both tangibly different in a very clear and distinct manner. Perhaps the terms active thinking and passive thinking descriptively help. All of these terms might be used with slightly different understandings attached in the scientific and psychology field, than I am using them here, but perhaps people can relate (or not) to the blankness of mind I am describing. Bearing in mind I am not speaking of a state of mind I bring about through conscious efforts, i.e. It's not a result of eastern style meditation, it is just a natural phenomena/occurrence in my daily experience - it's never disabling or disorientating, quite the opposite really, though socially awkward at times, and it's too hard to say 'how long' such 'episodes' or moments last, but never too long, and sensory or mental stimuli can get me out of it.

Yes I can get the blank mind in several instances. Sometimes because I am bored or overwhelmed by incessant meaningless chatter and noise in general.

Sometimes it is because feeling is overtaking my thinking. I can find myself hypnotized by music & synchronicities in the moment for example because they often have messages for me.

Or I can be feeling someone else's energy or feelings or feeling my own feelings, or memories. I stare intently at people while they are speaking as I absorb their energy but often cannot look people in the eye as I am speaking because I get sucked into their world and start speaking what they are thinking instead and lose myself.

Ive gone blank when I am attracted to someone and I go blank when confronted by comments from toxic people that are appalling. Really, having learned that I am hsp & empathic in an unpredictable human world has gone a long way in helping me understand why I can go blank and sometimes shell shocked. And that grounding is important in self-preservation.

Reactions: Night Owl
Yes, definitely. Too often for comfort but....my subconscious is trying to retain my sanity and for that I am forever grateful.

Reactions: Night Owl