say what

I like soft things...so soft!
Jan 8, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4..maybe?
Drop out of university and tune in to yourselves

Hey students, drop out of university now! You can thank me later.

I am a university dropout, or at least I was for 10 years. Quitting was the best thing I ever did.

I’m 29 now, and after a lot of living (some successful, some not) I have returned to university as a mature student. And what I am seeing around me are a whole lot of students who need to drop out just like I did.

This might sound radical, even blasphemous, since parents everywhere are encouraging their teenagers to stay in school. But hear me out.

When I attended university for the first time, I was doing it because that was just what you did. I was accepted to Concordia University in communications.

I did great academically, but my mind and heart were on a different planet. I sulked through the hallways, talked through lectures and did assignments like a programmed robot. I cared more about what club I would be going to on Friday night than what was in my $100 textbook.

I did well, maintaining a 3.5 GPA, but emotionally I just didn’t care. I couldn’t — not because I was a bad teen, but because I just didn’t know any better. I didn’t know what I wanted to do with my life. I didn’t take university seriously, and I knew that I was wasting my time and my parents’ money.

So I spat out the institutional Kool-Aid and dropped out after the first semester. My parents were shocked but, to their credit, they let me be.

I floated around for a few months, worked at a bank for a year, then attended the National Theatre School of Canada in hopes of becoming an actor. After three years of rolling around on the floor and finding my inner child, I moved to Toronto to become a star.

Cue the real education: life.

I have had successes: a season at the Shaw Festival, commercials for Swiss Chalet, some walk-on TV gigs.

I’ve done a whole lot of waitressing and had a lot of doors slammed in my face.

I’ve had my heart seriously broken once and a half.

I’ve rented four apartments in Toronto, paid bills, budgeted, partied, broken down, travelled and tried all sorts of diets just to figure out in the end that a well-balanced meal and exercise program are the way to go.

I’ve endured the unspeakable pain of losing a parent and emotionally supporting another.

In short, I’ve learned to like and live with myself, for better or for worse.

Then all of a sudden, last fall, I knew I was ready to go back to the halls of greater learning and get that degree. I am now a journalism student at Ryerson University and, unlike 10 years ago, I am actually present.

Things could not be more different than the first time around. I now know who I am and what I’m good at.

I listen in class; I appreciate what the professors and teaching assistants have to offer.

I know that time is valuable and education is what you make of it. I balance life, school and work and still manage to get assignments done ahead of time.

Most importantly, I understand that I will have to work very hard to pay back my student loans.

I know that my degree alone will not guarantee me success or even a job.

My choice to drop out and return 10 years later is not free of fear. I sometimes feel old and out of touch; I have to work hard to relate to my younger peers.

I lose sleep wondering when I will be able to start having kids. That is if, by some miracle, I manage to get a job in journalism.

Fortunately, I know how to carry three plates at once if all else fails.

But even with the downsides, this is right for me.

I have learned grit, and I vow to beat out all these computer-genius 17-year-old kids for the best internships using my own personal super power — life experience!

So…

To the three guys in my Wednesday lecture who play computer games and watch hockey highlights on their laptops during lectures: Drop out! Come back when you care. You’ve got time.

To the girl next to me in writing class who is always chatting with her friends on Facebook: Drop out! Stop wasting your parents’ money. Come back when you have decided that this is where you want to be and that the teacher is worth listening to.

To the student who is getting an undeclared general arts degree just because his parents said he has to be in school: Drop out! You will go back, but it will be different the next time around because it will be on your own terms.

To the super-talented guy who never returns to class after his smoke break: Drop out! Go apply for a small-business loan, open up a coffee shop, start a great online blog that generates ad revenue, and get more tattoos.

University is not the only way. Some of the most successful and happy people I know are artists, small-business owners and app creators.

Instead of dropping out, it should be called dropping in.

So I double dare you: drop in! Drop in to who you are and what is right for you.

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ty-and-tune-in-to-yourselves/article17378934/

Reactions: invisible
I'm living proof of what happens if you stay in college :(

Graduated in a recession and went back to a trade school. Graduated trade school a few months before the IT bubble burst and got outsourced. Got fed up working a crappy job I hated for crappy pay and decided to do what I enjoyed for almost a decade. Disagreed with every senior director I ever worked with in that field. Got fired and lost my career.

I kid you not when I now say I work a job where the person above me in the seniority ranks was a high school drop-out who makes more than I do. And the saddest part - no job I've ever worked has ever required a college degree. So if my views of college seem rather bleak, it's probably because I've never witnessed it have any benefit in my career/enjoyment path.

Cue the real education: life.

The man just spouted on of the most cheesy clichés out there. I would take life advice from the hobo who drinks his own urine before the person who wrote that.

Reactions: the and say what
i think shes got a point. its not worthwhile doing it if you cant engage or youre just there for some sort of reason that is extraneous to your legitimate direction in life, if you havent found your direction yet. it makes sense that a lot of people are there just because of social pressure. when i graduated from highschool i enrolled in psychology for reasons that had nothing at all to do with my own genuine inclinations. just like her i went away and did other things before i finally chose a discipline i could commit to in a meaningful way.

i do think university is really great though, when you can engage in it properly for some meaningful reason. when i really committed to my undergraduate work, it was difficult, but i knew i was getting a lot out of it. a couple of years later i pretty much remember it as the best time of my life. what im doing now is more of a trade qualification really because i cant make money out of my undergrad work, which was literature. but that definitely doesnt mean it was worthless to me, there are other things that are important apart from the cash. i learned so many fundamental skills, as basic as how to follow direction, how to listen to other opinions, and i became so much more literate its ridiculous. its almost like i couldnt think before, but it taught me to think. at times i could feel my mind opening up, like as if a door were opening onto a night sky and i had never seen a night sky before. it really really helped me, it taught me that i can be competent in things that i want to do, and how to go about doing things i wanted to do. it was awesome.... would love to go back and do more postgraduate work in literature, it is such a fascinating art form to study, and so rich in knowledge, and so entwined with other critical and theoretical apparatus... <3

It's interesting, because I see it on two sides.

I think first year students are often too young to really know 'what they want in life' and haven't really had a lot of life experience. Looking back to when I was that age, I was still a child! So my first year or two of university really gave me a safe place to grow, and experience a bit more of life and responsibility. I wasn't told I had to go (although, maybe I was, I just always assumed that's what I would do!), so I was really excited for the experience, and LOVED it!​ I think on one hand, continuing education is a great opportunity to ease into adulthood for a lot of student.

However, as an educator it gets really overwhelming and a bit disheartening to see so many students not enjoy or really take advantage of the opportunity. There's even graduate students who seem to only be here because they have to- which is kind of sad. I've been lucky that I was always told that I could pursue anything I wanted too (perhaps I would have gotten different encouragement from my mom if I wanted to be a rockstar or some other profession that has rather limited prospects!), so I feel bad for students who feel pressured to be here- it must be very exhausting. I agree with the writer that you more out of your education if you want to be there, which is why it seems so many students waste those years.

They need to have a 'training wheels' stage between highschool and university.

2e6hp5f.gif

Meh I dropped out of high school. Nipped that one in the bud I did.

ifn2q8.gif

Reactions: rawr
i have nothing too informed to add to the discussion, only a few opinions & thoughts, which for the sake of brevity will be bulleted:
  • In many fields, degrees mean little; they are an HR filter, but, as i heard once put "...more of a measure of obedience rather than knowledge [aptitude, skill, etc.]"
  • Education is not confined to school, regardless of the field. Aside from the cliche that life is a teacher, in many fields you learn the majority of what you need on the job
  • Many workplaces are happy to provide training & certifications that come outside of secondary/higher education. It's still studying, but not in the confines of the classroom/school system
  • All this isn't to say degree's aren't worth it - in many fields - teaching, engineering, medical etc. they are often needed and/or a must.
  • I'm still deciding whether mine is/was/will be worth it - it's useful, but not sure about return on investment - only the future will telll.

I may add more as i think of it.

i have nothing too informed to add to the discussion, only a few opinions & thoughts, which for the sake of brevity will be bulleted:
  • In many fields, degrees mean little; they are an HR filter, but, as i heard once put "...more of a measure of obedience rather than knowledge [aptitude, skill, etc.]"
  • Education is not confined to school, regardless of the field. Aside from the cliche that life is a teacher, in many fields you learn the majority of what you need on the job
  • Many workplaces are happy to provide training & certifications that come outside of secondary/higher education. It's still studying, but not in the confines of the classroom/school system
  • All this isn't to say degree's aren't worth it - in many fields - teaching, engineering, medical etc. they are often needed and/or a must.
  • I'm still deciding whether mine is/was/will be worth it - it's useful, but not sure about return on investment - only the future will telll.

I may add more as i think of it.

Yeah. I some times would have liked to go for a degree. Might have been more organized, I dunno. Could be nice to have I guess. I don't regret not doing it though.

When I had my first job though it was basically "You taught yourself to do all this? You're hired."

Reactions: rawr
It's interesting, because I see it on two sides.

I think first year students are often too young to really know 'what they want in life' and haven't really had a lot of life experience. Looking back to when I was that age, I was still a child! So my first year or two of university really gave me a safe place to grow, and experience a bit more of life and responsibility. I wasn't told I had to go (although, maybe I was, I just always assumed that's what I would do!), so I was really excited for the experience, and LOVED it!​ I think on one hand, continuing education is a great opportunity to ease into adulthood for a lot of student.

However, as an educator it gets really overwhelming and a bit disheartening to see so many students not enjoy or really take advantage of the opportunity. There's even graduate students who seem to only be here because they have to- which is kind of sad. I've been lucky that I was always told that I could pursue anything I wanted too (perhaps I would have gotten different encouragement from my mom if I wanted to be a rockstar or some other profession that has rather limited prospects!), so I feel bad for students who feel pressured to be here- it must be very exhausting. I agree with the writer that you more out of your education if you want to be there, which is why it seems so many students waste those years.

They need to have a 'training wheels' stage between highschool and university.

Grade inflation is part of the problem. Teachers have an incentive to pass kids because it makes them look like better teachers. I had classes in college where the teacher sucked and nobody learned jack shit. Still we all passed because the class was curved and the teacher didn't want people to know the average grade in her class was 30% range.

I think one year of resting after high school is good for the mind. My bro did that and I feel he is much more appreciative of the opportunity at hand than he would have been if he just jumped straight into it. It gave him a year to work full time and watch his friends all get educated. Gave him a year to smoke weed and do nothing and know what it feels like to be a loser that way he knows he doesn't want to be one. hehe.

Grade inflation is part of the problem. Teachers have an incentive to pass kids because it makes them look like better teachers. I had classes in college where the teacher sucked and nobody learned jack shit. Still we all passed because the class was curved and the teacher didn't want people to know the average grade in her class was 30% range.

I think one year of resting after high school is good for the mind. My bro did that and I feel he is much more appreciative of the opportunity at hand than he would have been if he just jumped straight into it. It gave him a year to work full time and watch his friends all get educated. Gave him a year to smoke weed and do nothing and know what it feels like to be a loser that way he knows he doesn't want to be one. hehe.

I wonder if this is the reason that some people seem to have a PhD that they must have gotten as a prize out of a wet Cracker Jack box.

This isn't really a teacher incentive. At least in Canada, teachers aren't given money when students make better marks. This is largely a departmental/institutional issue- a lot of times professors/instructors are told to curve marks, and if they don't, they might lose their teaching position. A lot of times professors are pushed to waterdown the content- and they resent it.

Higher education is a business now that cares very little about the content and values they teach their students - BUT, this doesn't mean that teachers feel this way...what it means is that teachers who are passionate about education and students are often marginalized and pushed out because they are unable to appropriately teach-but that's a whole other issue.

I do agree that there should be a 'working' year between highschool and university. It would be great if there was a system in place where internships were created in fields of potential interest.

I think there's experiences and values that students need to have to really be prepared for 'life'...it's unfortunate that higher education is most often unable to provide that - which seems counter intuitive to their goal.

Mmm... I don't think you really need a college education unless you have a job where the well-being of others lies in your hands: Teacher, Doctor, Lawyer, Therapist etc. and for the exception of the Doctor you really just need that piece of paper to hang up in your office cause the only thing you can't learn to do, or rather is frowned upon, is cutting people up in the real world lol... Other than that, most jobs need years of experience along with the education, if they specifically ask for educated employees. And a lot of times that experience outweighs miles of education. It has been said that people with a college education get paid more, but I don't see that as a factor between an experienced employee that gets the company money vs an educated employee that is mediocre. Besides that there's not much you could learn in school that can't learn in life, or even the internet with their free education services. From there you just educate yourself.

I think, in America, schools pre-college have just turned into glorified day cares. You ask a high school-er what they've learned and they've learned how to sleep with their head up looking alert. You ask a fifth grader what they've learned and they know more than most, even if a lot of it isn't accurate anymore. (The high school-er to fifth grader comparison is that of being young and wanting to absorb everything vs being older, possibly bored in a lot of cases, and not being pushed to learn.) In America it's really just how our schools are, how they've decided to make them. You give everyone, rich, poor, middle class, a summer long break -along with 5-10 other breaks- you're letting them deiced if they want to un-memorize everything they've learned by vegging out in front of the TV or if they want to pay for summer activities that may or may not challenge them. More often than not people can't afford any such activity during their summer vacation, or ever for that matter.

Now is it better to educate everyone freely and constantly or make them depend on educating themselves else they're close to homeless, or homeless even? I don't know, but I'd say Americans are in a pretty bad place and will continue to be until people start smartening up along with doing something about it. The biggest thing would be doing something about it.

I needed to read that. It makes a lot of my decisions seem more logical :)

This country (USA) needs more Technical College grads and fewer liberal arts grads.

If I did not get a graduate education, I would not have a career which allows me to make use of my natural preferences, skills or talents, so saying it isn't necessary is too absolutist. Making universal statements about higher education as if it's either all bad or all good is not helpful. Yes, getting a college education may not be for everyone but claiming it's not useful or necessary at all is narrow and missing the point. Just because one person doesn't need it, doesn't mean others won't. Many of the people who learn on the job often only learn what the job permits them to learn. They don't often learn anything outside of what their specific job or life experiences teach them. For many, experience is a comfort zone. Of course, you don't need a degree to be smart or capable or successful. However, higher education can open your perspective and understanding in ways everyday experience sometimes can't. Often, people think experience is everything, yet many of the people who say life experience has taught them everything they know are some of the most closed people I've ever met. They only listen when what is stated reflects their own feelings or experiences. They are unable to appreciate much outside of this. They think they know everything because of their "life experiences" but often unwilling to consider other experiences or perspectives. Higher education has taught me not to assume but to be more open and understanding and not be limited by experience. Yes, you may not need higher education to learn this but claiming it's unnecessary or irrelevant shows a quite narrow and limited view. Higher education wasn't originally about simply getting a job. It was about enlightenment, not being limited by your everyday circumstances but learning how to see possibilities outside of our worldly experiences. This was usually because it was the experience of not being able to rise above circumstances that made people feel limited or alienated. That's why we had the "knowledge is power" mantra for a long time. It was closer to the original purpose of higher education especially in the humanities. It's ineffective to throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because one person may not find it useful doesn't mean it won't be useful for someone else. Clearly, changes need to be made to the current higher education system. It's not perfect. However, education begins at home and in our social experiences, not meant to be restricted to the four walls of a classroom.

Last edited:
Reactions: say what
If I did not get a graduate education, I would not have a career which allows me to make use of my natural preferences, skills or talents, so saying it isn't necessary is too absolutist. Making universal statements about higher education as if it's either all bad or all good is not helpful. Yes, getting a college education may not be for everyone but claiming it's not useful or necessary at all is narrow and missing the point. Just because one person doesn't need it, doesn't mean others won't. Many of the people who learn on the job often only learn what the job permits them to learn. They don't often learn anything outside of what their specific job or life experiences teach them. For many, experience is a comfort zone. Of course, you don't need a degree to be smart or capable or successful. However, higher education can open your perspective and understanding in ways everyday experience sometimes can't. Often, people think experience is everything, yet many of the people who say life experience has taught them everything they know are some of the most closed people I've ever met. They only listen when what is stated reflects their own feelings or experiences. They are unable to appreciate much outside of this. They think they know everything because of their "life experiences" but often unwilling to consider other experiences or perspectives. Higher education has taught me not to assume but to be more open and understanding and not be limited by experience. Yes, you may not need higher education to learn this but claiming it's unnecessary or irrelevant shows a quite narrow and limited view. Higher education wasn't originally about simply getting a job. It was about enlightenment, not being limited by your everyday circumstances but learning how to see possibilities outside of our worldly experiences. This was usually because it was the experience of not being able to rise above circumstances that made people feel limited or alienated. That's why we had the "knowledge is power" mantra for a long time. It was closer to the original purpose of higher education especially in the humanities. It's ineffective to throw out the baby with the bath water. Just because one person may not find it useful doesn't mean it won't be useful for someone else. Clearly, changes need to be made to the current higher education system. It's not perfect. However, education begins at home and in our social experiences, not meant to be restricted to the four walls of a classroom.

10000% agree.

So many people go into higher education with the mentality of: "I'm going to get the degree and then get the job"

The degree is only one part of it, it's the softer skills that are so important and was really the goal of education - instilling the desire to learn, enabling a student to think critically, teaching them to be ethical and compassionate community leaders....these are all general skills that students should learn- regardless of their disciplinary content...but you don't learn them if you're not there to get an education, rather than a degree.

Reactions: Gaze
Being a teacher, I didn't really have a choice. That being said, after realizing how long I'll be in debt and seeing all of my unemployed friends and peers in the field, it's hard to whole-hardheartedly advocate higher education to my students on a day-to-day basis. I think it's important and obviously place great value on it myself, but it's not for everyone, and may people who aren't "highly educated" in the traditional sense are incredibly intelligent and educated in ways I could never imagine. Different strokes for different folks. What we definitely need is to rethink our approach to higher education. It shouldn't be a dividing issue between classes. It should be free and freely accessed by all who desire it.

Sidenote/soapbox- I believe that my biggest role in the classroom isn't to make sure my students know their verbs and their nouns, but that they're individuals who can think for themselves and who can exist and interact in an ethical and fair way. If they can remember my interpretation of Huck Finn, all the better.

Union trades are where it's at.

Being a teacher, I didn't really have a choice. That being said, after realizing how long I'll be in debt and seeing all of my unemployed friends and peers in the field, it's hard to whole-hardheartedly advocate higher education to my students on a day-to-day basis. I think it's important and obviously place great value on it myself, but it's not for everyone, and may people who aren't "highly educated" in the traditional sense are incredibly intelligent and educated in ways I could never imagine. Different strokes for different folks. What we definitely need is to rethink our approach to higher education. It shouldn't be a dividing issue between classes. It should be free and freely accessed by all who desire it.

Sidenote/soapbox- I believe that my biggest role in the classroom isn't to make sure my students know their verbs and their nouns, but that they're individuals who can think for themselves and who can exist and interact in an ethical and fair way. If they can remember my interpretation of Huck Finn, all the better.

I think this is so true. The biggest misconception of higher education is: it's not for everyone. I think this is where [MENTION=1355]MindYourHead[/MENTION] makes such a great point- more trades and craftman degrees are needed. So many 'trades' have been pushed into 'higher education' that don't need to be. We need to place more value and emphasis on apprentice and trade programs that integrate handson experience with their degrees.

As someone who has been in higher education for over a decade, I can say that if I could do it over, I might not have picked university....I think I would have picked a community college where I could get a 2-year diploma and work for a few years. Then go back for more education if I wanted it.

An undergrad really doesn't get you more than a HSD now. You're looking at going into a graduate degree to get a job through higher education.

Reactions: Gaze
I been to university three times, been to technical college once, studied two years at tech, two years at uni, one year at another uni, two years at a different campus of the first uni.

Working as a professional in my choosen field, have a diploma, a degree and a masters, it is the diploma which was the gateway qualification for my current trade.

I never regretted any of the times I was at uni, in fact would love to go and study again, if I could have my own design for life it'd be one long series of uni training episodes interspaced with the different periods of work necessary to finance it all and I would have done this if I'd had a plan when I was much younger, ie at school, but I didnt.

I was the first to study at uni from my family, all the others did after me, although there was no expectation that any of would or could prior to my enrolling and I only enrolled because it was a module on my studies at tech to do so, this was also before the successive government here wound up all the financial assistance to students. There was a time here when if you were a student you got a subsistence grant, got your tuition paid, got housing benefit, got unemployment benefit too, if you applied for it, and I figure you could have arranged student loans, although they did not exist prior to the abolishing of all those benefits to students. I dont know why people didnt just remain students their whole lives at that time with those conditions but there was a huge psychological barrier to university with most people at the time, it is still there in most people I meet now.

It could be because I've got such qualifications, and know I could get more, that qualifications, titles and studies dont impress me at all, not in the least. I put much greater store in character and obvious skills. I've known people who were intellectually bright, or at least academically gifted, who are lousy communicators, some of them dont know it, some of them dont care and then besides that there are those who compound the matter with really bad social aptitudes too. I'm not talking about people being jerks or the whole "if they knew good they would do good" idea, not simply in any case, but individuals who fail to communicate key points, either in writing, verbally, e-mails, messages or whatever means open to them, and who wonder then why others did not know what they did or made decisions differently from what they would have expected, people can not read your mind. This lack of what is paradoxically called common sensical is something I've known people to succeed in spite of in academia or studies, so they dont impress me and dont say a lot.