Do People Have a Right to Your Attention? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Do People Have a Right to Your Attention?

I can't really read into things right now. You'll have to write out a full sentence with the entirety of your message, not in pieces.
K.

Reactions: acd
if I am to interpret you correctly. I am human like anyone else. I don't actively look for a balance, but I will feel it. And no, trade isn't just about tangible things.
:)
Close enough.

If I'm blocking someone in a grocery store aisle, then yes, at least for the moment they have a right to my attention. As @Eventhorizon stated in one of his posts, in a work environment, it's a different situation. But as far as social interaction, no. It's been a challenge for me to learn to stand on those grounds, even going so far as to telling someone that they are being intrusive and that it's unwelcome.

Time to "dredge a thread" ...

What do others think? I partially quoted Flavus' question here ...
If someone wants your attention, do they have a right to it?

People can do stuff to try and get you to respond.... Like talking to you, or making their presence felt... But where is the line (or is there a line), where they have to settle down to the fact that you don't want to engage with them?
What rights do others have to our attention?

Time to "dredge a thread" ...

What do others think? I partially quoted Flavus' question here ...

What rights do others have to our attention?
Idk, shouldn't we first get into the question whether people have the right to crave others' attention or aim to get others' attention?

Reactions: QuirkyLemonFlower
Idk, shouldn't we first get into the question whether people have the right to crave others' attention or aim to get others' attention?
Well PS, tho I agree there are attention whores every where, my questioning relates to "what rights do others have to our attention?"
I'm talking adults here, not kiddos and tending to their needs

Well PS, tho I agree there are attention whores every where, my questioning relates to "what rights do others have to our attention?"
I'm talking adults here, not kiddos and tending to their needs
Let me get this straight, I think you're asking the right question. But if it were to be concluded people have no right to crave attention from their peers, it could imply attention is something which would be bestowed onto others without any prerequisites, like some altruistic action.

Which would make people who give attention junkies the sought after attention the baddies.

I was going to say, "No," except @Korg made a good point about close relationships and the economy of attention.

Those dependent on us, such as children, definitely have a right to our attention.

Let me get this straight, I think you're asking the right question. But if it were to be concluded people have no right to crave attention from their peers, it could imply attention is something which would be bestowed onto others without any prerequisites, like some altruistic action.

Which would make people who give attention junkies the sought after attention the baddies.
:unhappy: no, I asked who has the right to my attention.
I admit I should have explained in more detail. For instance, many here know I am my Dad's primary caregiver. I have two sisters, a neice, a couple of friends, and a boatload of associates that have become even more demanding, (at least as it is appearing to me), as my Dad's care needs increase. He has become exempt from demanding my attention 24/7. Primarily because he doesn't get it anymore that I'm entitled to me time. The others however, think that when I'm not in service to my Dad that my "free time" is up for grabs to them, which it's not as caregiving is a 24/7 job, really.
So out of the many people, who then has a right to my available time. They're not understanding that it is me. I get my time first. Bah. I just answered my own dang question I reckon. :)

If someone wants your attention, do they have a right to it?

People can do stuff to try and get you to respond.... Like talking to you, or making their presence felt... But where is the line (or is there a line), where they have to settle down to the fact that you don't want to engage with them?

I'm thinking about anything from disruptive strangers to full blown stalkers.

giphy.gif

:unhappy: no, I asked who has the right to my attention.
I admit I should have explained in more detail. For instance, many here know I am my Dad's primary caregiver. I have two sisters, a neice, a couple of friends, and a boatload of associates that have become even more demanding, (at least as it is appearing to me), as my Dad's care needs increase. He has become exempt from demanding my attention 24/7. Primarily because he doesn't get it anymore that I'm entitled to me time. The others however, think that when I'm not in service to my Dad that my "free time" is up for grabs to them, which it's not as caregiving is a 24/7 job, really.
So out of the many people, who then has a right to my available time. They're not understanding that it is me. I get my time first. Bah. I just answered my own dang question I reckon. :)
You're a good person @Sandie33 , and I mean this without irony, no shennanigans.
And yes, you're right, you deserve all the you time you want. I wish you, your father and other loved ones all the best in the world.

Those self-absorbed instagram stereotypes I was thinking of while posting deserve to stub their toes every once in a while though, as to remind them of their mortality.
That's the irony of life. People can get quite high on themselves at times. ;)