Disliking long vacations | INFJ Forum

Disliking long vacations

Artemisia

Community Member
May 20, 2014
MBTI
INFJ
Am I the only one disliking vacations or holidays? I live in Europe and in most countries, this is vacation month when most people can´t be reached, don´t answer email, some stores are closed for weeks, etc.
I realise that for those of you living in the US, two weeks of vacation is a big deal, but in some European countries taking 5-7 weeks off is the norm.
I absolutely hate waiting for people to come back and get back to work since I am working (i.e., doing research) almost every day during vacation time anyway. I do not work for many hours but still, I do SOME work every day, even when I am sitting in a cafe by the sea.

@Artemisia - Don't forget that the vast majority of jobs are more backbreaking and stressful than yours (and mine), and that gains in holiday time are evidence of social progress rather than the reverse.

I think that in this case, it is (with all due respect and in a non-pejorative sense) your neurotic relationship with time that is the issue, not people who dare go on holidays with their families for a few weeks.

I realise that for those of you living in the US, two weeks of vacation is a big deal, but in some European countries taking 5-7 weeks off is the norm.

Correction: Many working class people in the US don't get any vacation time. 10 days (2 weeks) is supposedly the "average" but is more likely the median (i.e., for those who receive time off, it's normally two weeks). Employers in the US who pay their workers by the hour are required to pay them 1.5x their wage for every hour they work over 40 per week. That's pretty much it where labor laws in the US are concerned. While some time off here is a general expectation, none is mandated by law, as it is in many parts of the world.

And that's not even accounting for the fact that in US office culture, actually using your allotted vacation time is seen in many circles as a sign of a lazy or less-dedicated work ethic. Even in my office, which by comparison to many is fairly casual, I have a co-worker who's been here 7 years and just this year took her first full-week off (to visit Europe, ironically enough).

I absolutely hate waiting for people to come back and get back to work since I am working (i.e., doing research) almost every day during vacation time anyway. I do not work for many hours but still, I do SOME work every day, even when I am sitting in a cafe by the sea.

How truly horrible your life must be, having to deal with these inconsiderate jerks who dare to unplug from the stress of their working life! Damn commie Europeans and their filthy leisure. Pffft!

paid vacations . . . time to take off 5 weeks from work . . . get away from everyday life . . . not feeling guilty for taking time off . . .

*watches pigs fly*

Yes Deleted member 16771, thank you for fixing my punctuation. That's exactly what I meant. :lol: :thumbsup:

My SO and I don't have vacation time at jobs and never have. We've never had jobs that offered vacation time.

An acquaintance of mine (a chiropractor with his own office), who is otherwise a pretty cool guy in all respects, is a complete dick when it comes to the idea of providing vacation time for his employees.

"Why should I have to pay money to people when they're not doing any work?" Oh I dunno, maybe cause it's a decent thing to do? They'll be better motivated and more effective at their jobs? :wateven:

Oh sorry, LJ, I think you missed some punctuation, there. Let me correct it for you:

'I wish I had your "problems" Artemisia'

Yes Deleted member 16771, thank you for fixing my punctuation. That's exactly what I meant. :lol: :thumbsup:

*cough* first world problems *cough*

images

I follow an academic calendar. I can’t say that I’d care that everyone else is on vacation, but I will say that I had difficulty adapting to having a lot of unstructured and unpaid downtime for several weeks. On many occasions I wished that I was working, and despite making lots of productive goals it was difficult to stay motivated.

Yes, bloody plebeians who are slouching by in their cheap sandals and Eminem T-shirts while I'm sitting on my yacht waiting for someone to bring me margaritas. Every day I make calls to my broker to buy or sell shares, so how hard is it for these people to continue working as well so that I wouldn't have to wait? Frankly I get so annoyed by their laziness that I have to relocate to a different city every now and then. The problem is that whenever I move, it causes a setback when I'm trying to mold my girlfriend into the person she should be, since every time she needs to go through an adjustment period. Do all INFJs dislike having to look for competent servants?

Yes, bloody plebeians who are slouching by in their cheap sandals and Eminem T-shirts while I'm sitting on my yacht waiting for someone to bring me margaritas. Every day I make calls to my broker to buy or sell shares, so how hard is it for these people to continue working as well so that I wouldn't have to wait? Frankly I get so annoyed by their laziness that I have to relocate to a different city every now and then. The problem is that whenever I move, it causes a setback when I'm trying to mold my girlfriend into the person she should be, since every time she needs to go through an adjustment period. Do all INFJs dislike having to look for competent servants?

Ooooooh! Buuurn!

How truly horrible your life must be, having to deal with these inconsiderate jerks who dare to unplug from the stress of their working life! Damn commie Europeans and their filthy leisure. Pffft!

europe got a 5 day working week through trade unionism not communism

china is communist. they put nets around the buildings there to catch the workers who try to commit suicide to escape the long hours

that's the problem with communism. You don't get to decide what work you do or how and when you do it

the politburo tells you what to do. if you don't obey the politburo in china they down rate your social credit score and then you can't travel on trains and suffer other penalties. The government actually leaves a message on your phone telling people who call you not to speak to you as you are blacklisted

europe got a 5 day working week through trade unionism not communism

china is communist. they put nets around the buildings there to catch the workers who try to commit suicide to escape the long hours

that's the problem with communism. You don't get to decide what work you do or how and when you do it

the politburo tells you what to do. if you don't obey the politburo in china they down rate your social credit score and then you can't travel on trains and suffer other penalties. The government actually leaves a message on your phone telling people who call you not to speak to you as you are blacklisted

Pretty sure @infinite dreams was being ironic about the commie thing ^^

Props for using the term "politburo" on a vacation thread though, I would not have expected that to happen!

Am I the only one disliking vacations or holidays? I live in Europe and in most countries, this is vacation month when most people can´t be reached, don´t answer email, some stores are closed for weeks, etc.
Do you complain about everything, or just what other people do with their personal time?
I love how some Americans think that Europe is communist. :)
I love it when @Artemisia assumes things. :blush: