desensitization: does it work? | INFJ Forum

desensitization: does it work?

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
desensitization: does it work?

this is a theory which says if you're struggling with, nervous or anxious about a situation, gradual exposition to it over a period of time will lessen the negative effects and make you better able to deal with it or handle it. But how often does this work? Do you think it's effective?

In psychology, desensitization (also called inurement) is defined as the diminished emotional responsiveness to a negative or aversive stimulus after repeated exposure to it. It also occurs when an emotional response is repeatedly evoked in situations in which the action tendency that is associated with the emotion proves irrelevant or unnecessary. Desensitization is a process primarily used to assist individuals unlearn phobias and anxieties.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desensitization_(psychology)

yes it does. I assure you for my own personal experience.

could you explain?

how could i explain you? i would have to recite my personal stories xD. But the thing is that you get used to pain and discomfort the more you suffer it. Be it physical or emotional. A rough environment makes tough people!

Ever heard of exposure therapy? It's arguably the most important/functional piece of cognitive/behavioral therapy (particularly for those with anxiety/panic disorders).

...and yes, "most" who suffer from anxiety disorders/phobias will find this therapy quite beneficial.

I'm not sure. I've tried it to lesson panic while flying and it never helped. Eventually I just got scripted some xannies for flying.

Yes example: public speaking.

I think it can work sometimes, but not always. It's not a complete cure. Works in spurts rather than completely taking away the anxiety. My job is based around public speaking and sometimes it sucks because of the feeling of being in the spotlight. And although I've been doing this for years, my anxiety has only gotten worse. It think it's because it was sink or swim thing. I got thrown into it, had no time to really practice before I had to do it. So, I fiddled my way through it. But over the years, although my comfort level with speaking has gotten better, my discomfort standing in front of people (that spotlight effect) has only gotten worse. It's a day by day thing managing my anxiety for it. Exposure has only made me more distant and wanting to avoid any profession with public speaking. I'm sure desensitization works for many but for me, it would work better with smaller tasks or obstacles.

Reactions: endersgone
I don't know of anything in psychology that is a "complete cure". When people, or the literature suggest that exposure therapy or systematic desensitization 'works', it is meant in probabilistic terms. The "success" rate and how one operationalizes success (i.e. is it success if it works in the short term?) are certainly important considerations. It might be worthwhile to look into alternative options if you found that this therapy was not satisfactory for you.

[MENTION=4798]Endersgone[/MENTION] is correct. It is continual exposure.

I can relate to this in many ways. Probably the one that stands out the most is reading/hearing stories/cases regarding child abuse without it having the emotional effect it DID have on me long ago. This keeps me focused on my work.

I have gotten over a myriad of things through the form of desensitization, but not only through desensitization alone, as I rely very heavily on the use of logic to overcome irrational fears.

Desensitization can help- being exposed to something until it becomes familiar, but for me the real break through came when I was able to reason through the fear, control my breathing and think my way out of mental entrapments.

The way that I see it, the brain can create feedback loops, similar to the idea of Eternal Recurrence "eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence") is a concept which posits that the universe has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the western world, though Friedrich Nietzsche resurrected it as a thought experiment to argue for amor fati.
In addition, the philosophical concept of eternal recurrence was addressed by Arthur Schopenhauer. It is a purely physical concept, involving no supernatural reincarnation, but the return of beings in the same bodies. Time is viewed as being not linear but cyclical."
-wikipedia

In this sense, thought patterns tend to come back or repeat, until they are properly dealt with. In my case, I experienced severe anger and depression from an event that happened shortly after high school. I also suffered from low self-esteem in relationships due to experiences as a child. Every time something triggered that fear or anger or self-hatred, a loud voice in my head would repeat self-defeating phrases over and over again. I would find myself in the dark listening to the same depressing songs over and over again. I would not be able to muster energy to go out and be with friends, or if I did I drank way too much. I thought that the world was an evil place, where people were just looking to hurt others. Since learning more about personality types and observing human behavior I realized that this was not the case. But, knowledge, armed with the logic to cut through my raw emotions was ultimately what saved me. Being "desensitized"- seeing the evils of the world, just depressed me or made me numb. Numbness helped lead to a state where I was able to develop logic and reasoning, but numbness alone would just subside and eventually lead back to fear and negative thoughts- because numbness is an emotional state too.

If you are just "desensitized" it is not solving the root of the problem. It will come back. The best thing to do is to address it rationally, find the root of the problem and create an argument against it.

An example with spiders- say every time you hear the word spider you freak out and jump. Certainly, spiders can be harmful to us as humans, but is it rational to become hysterical upon hearing the word uttered- no. So we have to calmly face our fears in addition to becoming more worldly and experienced.

It seems to work, but I may be confusing it with just generally getting experience and proficiency.

Yes; although I think it can be dissected into (at least) two:

a) Numbness
b) Proficiency, just as [MENTION=2746]Tactical Panda[/MENTION] had said.

For certain trauma / abuse, I'd say the a) part would be more prominent.
For other things, though (public speaking, shyness, work issues, techniques), having more b) would be better. Far far better.