Death

Spiritual Leo

On Holiday
Apr 14, 2011
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Thinker
Death is an inevitable part of life which we will all have to face one day. We must understand that death is a natural process for human beings and it isn't to be feared; however, most of us, throughout our lives, will develop grandiose thoughts of fear about death, so I ask one question: Why?

Personally, I think that if you fear death, then you must also fear living because life consists of unpredictable occurrences- these unpredictable occurrences can bring you closer to this inevitable part of life.

Wouldn't you rather take chances and live without regret, even if your life is shorter as a consequence?

When you are an elder, do you want to look back and say, " Oh, I wish that I would have done that," or would you like to say, "Damn, I can't believe that I did that?"

Make your life a work of art that way when you are passing away, you can look back without a regret in your mind; you will rest in peace knowing that you lived your life to the fullest.

Reactions: invisible
So true :)

Earlier this year I decided to do something which was quite confronting... I decided to do a skydiving course, it was a bit confronting to commit myself to... and really interesting to interact with family, friends and strangers alike... that core aspect of "living is about risk" was right there staring us all in the face.

It was so interesting to see people that are normally quiet and reserved becoming quite emotional about the idea of jumping out of a plane... even though they weren't the one doing it! I tried to explain the risks in terms of statistics (my favourite was the risk of death is about the same as the risk of death from giving birth) but that didn't seem to help much.

I am the last person to be superstitious, but jumping on Friday the 13th May this year with a parachute that was the first parachute I had ever packed was an experience I won't ever forget... oh, and I was seriously a second away from cutting the main chute (that was my first pack) because it was ruffled up not opening for aaaagggggeeeeesssss.

I think rationalising the risk is important, it's silly to say "hey, I'm going to try jumping out of a plane with a table cloth!!!... yeeee haaaa!!!". Hmmmm... what degree of risk seems sensible? I don't know... that's a tough one o_O

I lok forward to finging out what's on the other side. . there is much I dont know. . some that I do. .while I do not wish cross over any sooner than I shold I dont fear the crossing. .deathis indeed part of life. . the goal if life is to learn what we needed to before moveing on. . at least in my mind.

I don't fear death like I used to. Just recently I was in a plane that "bounced" - very rough landing in crosswinds and rain that hit the runway and bounced off a couple times before actually landing. Ten years ago I may have been horrified by it but this time I just laughed and enjoyed the ride.

Skydiving is one of those things I should do at some point just for the sake of it.

The only fear I have of death are for the other people I would leave behind.

I have always wanted to try sky diving just for the thrill of it.

I have noticed that the older I got, the less I began to not take life so seriously (within reason).
I found that this feeling to be in direct variation to how much I fear death.

There is a reason that the time comes for one to take that last breath.
It may not necessarily be a positive reason, but it is inevitable, unavoidable.
When the Death's Hand grabs you, your time is up. It's just a natural part of being human, of being alive.

I have always wanted to try sky diving just for the thrill of it.

I have noticed that the older I got, the less I began to not take life so seriously (within reason).
I found that this feeling to be in direct variation to how much I fear death.

There is a reason that the time comes for one to take that last breath.
It may not necessarily be a positive reason, but it is inevitable, unavoidable.
When the Death's Hand grabs you, your time is up. It's just a natural part of being human, of being alive.

I completely agree with you, so go skydiving because you only get one life.

This is a spirit that we need to see more of these days. Life is becoming such a waste... with people only living to keep living.

Interesting motivational thread. (=

I consider myself to be quite impulsive so this helps a lot with not getting that feeling of not doing enough. But I also don't try and over do it. I am not here to have the best life ever. Just here to live and live as I do. Simply catching the biggest waves as I surf across them. I doubt I will ever look back and think "I should have done that." If I do I will probably be quite angry at myself because it's not the best way of thinking. ^^

For me, the sheer inevitability of death discharges the negative feelings (fear, mostly) that seem to plague others. To be clear: I'm not saying I'm a courageous hero, just that I resigned my struggle against death long ago since it would be so futile to do otherwise.

But I will tell you what really scares me: not living before I die.

I'm still fearful.

Mostly related; yes, the grandiose is because no one I know ever -knows- Death. Stories have been made and told, Songs being cried, and paintings drawn, but no one ever knows what is death. What happens afterwards? What waits next?

And to the whispers of infinity, the endless sea we're (admittedly) been taught about, life becomes a commodity so rare.
Some go forward. Others stay back. Same force, different direction.

But I agreed, to not live before dying is a doublefold fear. >_>; However, I would like to gently remind that the thirst of living is equal.

Death actually doesn't bother me. However, the possibility of getting all physically mauled or ending up paralyzed or something has a definite impact on the level of risk I'm willing to take.

Thank you all for the kind responses. I appreciate it!

Socrates once said that, "worthless people only live to eat and drink, people of worth only eat and drink to live."

death does not concern me in any way. it's the five or so minutes just prior that have me a bit worried.

death does not concern me in any way. it's the five or so minutes just prior that have me a bit worried.

What? you're speaking as though you've experienced death.
Death concerns everyone, no-one could say, "I like death".

as far as i know i haven't died before.
i did not say i like death. i don't like watermelon, but i'm not concerned with that either.
death is inevitable for everyone, but it's just another event in life. no cause for concern.

Reactions: Norton
What? you're speaking as though you've experienced death.
Death concerns everyone, no-one could say, "I like death".

Do you want to read that again?

Arguing semantics are generally not good points to get across unless part of a larger context.

I hope to greet it as a long lost friend. .