Death of Democratic Party | INFJ Forum

Death of Democratic Party

Stu

Town Drunkard
Donor
Oct 30, 2009
MBTI
Enneagram
Somebody explain to me why the Dems are so inept and why it is good that they have initiated the total destruction of their party.

Reactions: CindyLou
I was really hoping the republican party would fragment before a tipping point like this now I'm not too keen on where the world is going:m162:

Um...ok.

Could you at least wait until November before you begin spelling doom? It's kinda hard to take the argument seriously when they still control Congress and the Presidency.

As to why the Democratic party is inept, I would say because they don't really explain what they are doing and they let sensationalists distort the public's perception of what they are doing.

...And look at how much they've accomplished!

Quite a bit actually. They managed to stave off the worst recession since the Great Depression while keeping the percent of GDP that goes towards government spending under 50%.

So the resume for their short lived super-majority consists of the country not collapsing during said period of time?
Not too impressive, frankly.

I have no stake in the Democrats doing well or terrible.
That being said, it's still quite a lot of fun to watch the latter happen.

So the resume for their short lived super-majority consists of the country not collapsing during said period of time?
Not too impressive, frankly.

Given the animosity that was generated by News Corp, I would have to say they did fairly well given the circumstances. Plus, I would say it is incredibly unrealistic to believe they ever truly had a super majority. The Blue Dogs and Lieberman had the party in tote.

I have no stake in the Democrats doing well or terrible.
That being said, it's still quite a lot of fun to watch the latter happen.

I'm not particularly fond of the Democratic party. In a way though, this is the worst thing that could have happened to the Republicans, because now they are accountable for helping push through a much needed bipartisan health care plan. They can't simply argue that the Democrats messed it up.

I'm in favor of anything that weakens the Republican party, generally speaking.
I think the sooner they outright collapse, the sooner the fiscal conservative/libertarian element will be able to branch off as an independent power.

The fragmentation within the Republican party makes the Democrats look like a fucking North Korean infantry regiment.

The fragmentation within the Republican party makes the Democrats look like a fucking North Korean infantry regiment.

Unfortunately a fair comparison given that North Koreans are instructed to immediately shoot anyone who tries to desert.

I'm starting to think the political parties are held together by chewing gum.

"Held together" in quite the literal sense...

The "differences" between the Republicans and Democrats in modern day are basically not a lot more than theatrics and vacuously worded mission statements.

The platform upon which George Bush Jr was elected for was almost diametrically opposed to the one he executed in office.
Obama's is off to a similar start.

I don't like how there's no 'third way' as it were in American politics. Whether someone votes Democrat or Republican it really doesn't matter, essentially they'de be voting for the bankers either way since they are really the ones that hold the reins of power. Just look at the federal reserve system.

I suggest you all vote to come under the yoke of the British monarch again :)

I'm in favor of anything that weakens the Republican party, generally speaking.
I think the sooner they outright collapse, the sooner the fiscal conservative/libertarian element will be able to branch off as an independent power.

You want true liberty? Go to Liberia or Rwanda.

If you're going to make a brain addled comparison of liberty/anarchic chaos, at least get it right.
It's Somalia.

The "differences" between the Republicans and Democrats in modern day are basically not a lot more than theatrics and vacuously worded mission statements.

I can agree with this. Especially on the extreme ends of it that a pretty hefty percentage of folks seem to enjoy resting on here in the states. It's actually kind of entertaining to listen to the banter between the two sides, and that essentially all of their insults towards each other are the exact same things anyway, simply replacing "right-wing" with "leftist" and "conservative" with "liberal".

What I really love, is that just out of interest, I've suggested a few topics to aqcuaintances from the party they oppose, without ever having revealed to them that I'm in one party or another. If I've agreed with them in the past on a few points, they have a tendency to more often then not be more for it than they might have last time I saw them ranting. This kind of leads me to wonder if anyone actually has any idea what they support or if it's turning into some sort of team pride. Is politics just a sport? Regardless it's interesting to see people unwittingly agree with a point from the other party that they refuse to accept could ever be right.

Now, I heavily doubt either party would 'die', at least in an absolute sense, and it's primarily due to the fact that there are plenty of folks who are dead adamant about being a Republican or Democrat. A bit of a reduction in their influence would be a great thing to test out though, since I really do think that it would allow more individual thinking to show it's face, rather than two opposing(?) viewpoints trying to kill each other center stage. I'm sure it's not possible to vouch that either way would necessarily turn out better, but it would at least be fun to observe.

I'll definitely agree with Krumplenump too on the lack of a true 'third way'. Regardless of if your beliefs may be a bit closer in actuality to one of the smaller parties that no one has heard of, either a Democrat or a Republican WILL take office. Giving you two choices.

I dunno. My two cents. Politics get me a bit annoyed in general though, and it's too early in my day to go much further in my personal thoughts.

Ah, I remember when certain people (you know who you are) were saying that the Republican Party was on the verge of collapse about 18 months ago. And now some other people are saying that the Democratic Party is on the verge of collapse (or colossal defeat), just because Massachusetts elected a Republican Senator.

Calm down. Really.

Reactions: jn56uytrx
Ah, I remember when certain people (you know who you are) were saying that the Republican Party was on the verge of collapse about 18 months ago. And now some other people are saying that the Democratic Party is on the verge of collapse (or colossal defeat), just because Massachusetts elected a Republican Senator.

Calm down. Really.
^^^This^^^

I am calm

There is no way that significant health care reform is going to take place now. That means huge numbers of Americans are going to continue to go without it. There is little chance that real action is going to be taken to eliminate green house gas emission. There is not going to be any real oversight of the cowboys running the financial markets. Especially now that the Supreme Court as eliminated any controls on corporate spending during elections. All of these things are core Democratic Party values. Since they were unable to pass a health care reform bill, something they have campaigned on for forty years, they will see their base wither away.

There is no way that significant health care reform is going to take place now. That means huge numbers of Americans are going to continue to go without it. There is little chance that real action is going to be taken to eliminate green house gas emission. There is not going to be any real oversight of the cowboys running the financial markets. Especially now that the Supreme Court as eliminated any controls on corporate spending during elections. All of these things are core Democratic Party values. Since they were unable to pass a health care reform bill, something they have campaigned on for forty years, they will see their base wither away.

They currently have 58 with 2 independents and possibly a couple of reasonable rep.(last is a pipedream) and is need be they can force the simple majority vote it isn't dead until they are out of power and simply put... Put up a candidate that isn't just a warm fucking body.