Death & Dying | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Death & Dying

Any thoughts on "The Death with Dignity Law" that enables terminally ill people with six months or less to live to opt for a quick physician assisted death as opposed to a natural death or a starvation induced death while being kept asleep?

I wish we were free enough here in the US to purchase our own dignified way out (barbies and benzos) without the sanctions/involvement of doctors. Death is easy, healing is hard. Do we need to send people to years of medical school just so they can switch on a death drip? I don't like how it is working out in places like the Netherlands. It is disturbing. I definitely want a good/dignified death. I also don't want my death to be medicalized/institutionalized via the involvement of physicians and death panels.
PS
Jack Kevorkian was a sick psycho.

Last edited:
When faced with your own mortality would you fear it or embrace it?

There are many different ways to die. I almost died and believed that I was going to sooner than later. I have said I do not fear death, I now know its possible to fear the lead up. I now know there are things worse than death.

Death has always been more or less in my mind in these past 5 years or so... Deaths, cancers, illnesses etc. I don't know how I really feel about death to be honest. There's a part of me who's afraid of it a lot and part of me who finds it really peaceful, beautiful... Hard to explain. It's something which could come really unexpectedly and fast without any warnings, every moment can be our last moment, we don't know. I hope it will come without suffering, calmly, sleeping away.

I'm not so much afraid of my own death, than the deaths of the ones I care about. I've come face to face with my own mortality quite a few times and fear of oblivion wasn't the most powerful emotion there. The loss of control, of meaning were much more intense. I suppose you could say that those experiences were just symptomatic of the fear of death. I don't know.

I still don't feel any dread over it, but it's hard to say exactly how you'll react when the time comes. It's all theoretical at the moment and hopefully it'll stay that way for quite some time

Do you perceive death as final, or the beginning of a different journey, or both, or something else?

I wonder if we have the option of sticking around for awhile after we die. There are some people I would like to haunt.

I believe if any such thing is true, it is more in the vein of an imprint that is left than actual staying behind. Like the footprints left on the Moon.

When faced with your own mortality would you fear it or embrace it?

It is natural to fear death. Panic, however, is not required, though could occur based on circumstance. Death itself is natural but the circumstance in which it occurs may not be.

Any thoughts on "The Death with Dignity Law" that enables terminally ill people with six months or less to live to opt for a quick physician assisted death as opposed to a natural death or a starvation induced death while being kept asleep?

People should have the right to choose. We choose to end other animal's sufferings, but we can't make that choice ourselves? What kind of fuckery is that? It should be done in a way that is as humane and quick a way as possible though. Starvation seems barbaric, but if the person is comatose that is quite a grey area. There are better methods.

Would you go out guns blazing, take a more conservative approach, run through a bucket list, or?

Highly circumstantial. Given a terminal illness, definitely some sort of bucket list. Given a no win situation in a battle or something, definitely guns blazing. Otherwise, I'm happy to go quietly and peacefully.

What are your beliefs about where we go after we die? To an afterlife of sorts, in the ground pushin' up daisies, reincarnated, etc.?

No idea. I've died before and seen the afterlife so I absolutely believe there is something "beyond" but how that all works... no clue. My best guess and the thing that makes the most sense to me is that it has a lot to do with our perception of time. Time is infinite. Our human journey is a blip of infinity, even assuming we are reincarnated thousands of times, we are just a blip. We hugely underestimate our insignificance in the face of infinity. Our molecules gathering and separating in an infinite number of possible ways, becoming new things, becoming everything and nothing. What even is an after... is it a parallel time or no time, or the end of time or all of time? Who knows these things.

From the standpoint of being a person left on the planet, I would like the opportunity to say goodbye. From the perspective of the person leaving the planet, well, I would also like the opportunity to say goodbye. But that's just me.

I was reading a very interesting article about when people die. It implied that people left when they had finished everything they had to do in this particular life. Maybe the folks who linger have more to do in their life, and the ones who leave us too early did what they came here to do in a short amount of time. Children die. It's hard to wrap your head around that.

Or perhaps it is all part of a larger process. Parts of us rebel and remain for a time, or have some other part to play that involves being a ghosty ghost.

I like the idea of a celebration of a persons life as opposed to a funeral. I recently saw a movie about a woman who was dying and she planned her own funeral, she said, "I'm going to put the FUN back in funeral". She threw a party that was a wonderful celebration of her life. It was for the people she was leaving behind.

Hell yea.

Then there is the concept that death and dying does not have to be physical. Parts of our life or personality can die many times in a lifetime.

Indeed. Not only that but our physical cells die en masse, yet somehow we do not ever entirely lose ourselves.

Do you perceive death as final, or the beginning of a different journey, or both, or something else?

It is final. There is finality. To what end is the question. Humans will go on for a time but we will also one day have an end. Will there at that point be a new us? A new me? Or will I remain in some other place/time forever? What is forever?

Reactions: #@&5&49
Would you want to be buried, cremated, donate your body to science, or some other option?

Thoughts, experiences, feelings, and questions about death and dying.

When I was 8 I asked my step father if I was going to die one day, and you know what he said? Yes! He's so evil! I cried all night. :m033:

When I was 8 I asked my step father if I was going to die one day, and you know what he said? Yes! He's so evil! I cried all night. :m033:

Is this a joke? Are we not supposed to answer that truthfully?

Whoops.

Is this a joke? Are we not supposed to answer that truthfully?

Whoops.

I think the truth is always preferable. Your children will eventually have to shed the nonsense you tell them, after all. It's better not to tell them nonsense to begin with.

I'm more afraid of losing loved ones than I am of my own death. But I'm also afraid of dying because I feel I'd be leaving my family high and dry. I want to believe that there is another plane of existence that we travel to and reunite with other souls. I want to return as a spirit and collect my loved ones when they are ready to pass after I have already moved on. My mother watched my grandfather die at home and said he called out to his mother before passing. She also was with her grandmother when she passed and said my great grandma called out to her parents.

I found a creepy site where people recounted their near death experiences. Fascinating stuff. One account scared the daylights out of me when someone described their NDE consisting of horrifying clamouring noises and feelings of despair and loneliness. Other accounts were much more peaceful. Here is the site: http://www.nderf.org/

I have had one experience where I really thought it was over for me. I was driving in a storm and took a curve and my car spun out of control. A truck was approaching on the other side. I remember it feeling like time had slowed. I remember thinking, "OK, this is it." And oddly enough, in that instant, it was like I accepted it and was not afraid. I should clarify that the acceptance was not a conscious decision on my part. It just happened. I panicked then suddenly, acceptance overrode that panic. I don't understand it.

Anyway, somehow, I gained control of my car without incident. It was all within a few seconds but I'm telling you it felt like it took minutes.

Last edited:
Once in a bar I talked to this funeral director (undertaker) who was telling me about a young man he was taking care of who sat up and looked around, then lay back down again. (Just a few chemicals in the brain, I guess.) But the undertaker said that there was nothing scary or frightening about it, that it was more like as though the young man was taking a last little peaceful breath, like it was his little moment of goodbye to the world. He said that it was a peaceful and serene moment.

Reactions: PintoBean
I'm more afraid of losing loved ones than I am of my own death.

I feel that also. When I die, there will be an end to my suffering. My loved ones will have to live with my death for the rest of their lives. My death will become a part of their life.

My mother watched my grandfather die at home and said he called out to his mother before passing. She also was with her grandmother when she passed and said my great grandma called out to her parents.

I've heard of people calling out to loved ones that have already passed. I wonder if that's because for a moment they are in the physical and ethereal planes.

I found a creepy site where people recounted their near death experiences. Fascinating stuff.

It is fascinating. I had an NDE. It was peaceful. Didn't feel like anything to be afraid of.

I panicked then suddenly, acceptance overrode that panic. I don't understand it.

For me, it's all about acceptance. Getting to acceptance is another story though. I attribute that to going through the five stages of grief; denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. At least that has been my experience when I've experienced any type of "death", whether physical or conceptual.

I probably fear how it happens rather than the reality of it.

Me too. A lot of folks who posted seem to feel that way - interesting.

Anticipating death is not healthy. Worrying about it and stressing about how or why will only make the fears worse.

I agree.

If I can go peacefully with a level of awareness at the end.

I would like that also.

I had a family member pass in their sleep last year and its tough because they just left, and didn't get to say goodbye. I still can't believe it. His family didn't get to say goodbye. So, it makes you question, does the soul feel that sense of loss or discomfort with leaving things unsettled?

Awhile ago someone very close to me passed. We didn't get to say goodbye to each other. Right after the person passed, I saw a light and felt this persons presence and their feelings for me envelop the entire room. I knew it was this person and even spoke their name. After this experience I was told the person had passed. I didn't know. I was half way around the world from where the person passed.

I forgot to add the option of giving everything away before death, if a person has the time. Inheritance tax is very high.

That's what trusts are for. gifting is an option but not always the best option you are penalized for gifting if you ever need Medicare for any reason so a lawyer would discourage gifting and there's a gift tax after a certain amount as well.

Would you want to be buried, cremated, donate your body to science, or some other option?

This reminded me of organ donor card which I need to get. I would like to donate all the organs which are possible to donate and then to be cremated.

Too bad that throwing ashes to ocean is illegal here, I find it beautiful somehow.

This reminded me of organ donor card which I need to get. I would like to donate all the organs which are possible to donate and then to be cremated.

Too bad that throwing ashes to ocean is illegal here, I find it beautiful somehow.

That is exactly how I want to go as well. It is also illegal to throw ashes in the ocean where I am, but only on the coast lines. Further out in open ocean there are no laws in my state to ensure and enforce permits or permissions. In the end, I want to be fish poo. Lovely thought, lol, though you said much more eloquently. <3

Reactions: flower and hush