Death & Dying | INFJ Forum

Death & Dying

I wonder if we have the option of sticking around for awhile after we die. There are some people I would like to haunt.

When faced with your own mortality would you fear it or embrace it?

Death is part of life. We're all born and we all must die. There seems to be many ways we can choose to experience death, whether it be our own or someone else's. I've found very few people who are comfortable discussing the topic of death and dying. Bit of a taboo topic, a tad morbid, and it can be just plain depressing, but its also a fascinating subject and I'm curious how other folks perceive it and experience it. I'd like to expand my perspective on it.

Any thoughts on "The Death with Dignity Law" that enables terminally ill people with six months or less to live to opt for a quick physician assisted death as opposed to a natural death or a starvation induced death while being kept asleep?

Would you go out guns blazing, take a more conservative approach, run through a bucket list, or?

Would you go out guns blazing, take a more conservative approach, run through a bucket list, or?

Depends on if I knew when it was going to happen. I think I'd do a bucket list of that were the case.

What are your beliefs about where we go after we die? To an afterlife of sorts, in the ground pushin' up daisies, reincarnated, etc.?

You obviously wont remember everything if you lived forever. Eventually you will have new experiences all over again.

A lot of religious thought seems entangled with the idea of living forever. I can't imagine anything worse!

Really? Do most religions believe people continue in a sort of afterlife when we die? Is that what you meant?

Sounds almost like some sort of dementia.

Someone told me they wanted to be completely insane when they die. They said they didn't want to have any idea what was going on. Their way of experiencing a peaceful death.

Really? Do most religions believe people continue in a sort of afterlife when we die? Is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant! You're doomed to have a soul, to go on existing indefinitely in some form or other. If I have a soul, I hope the worms will eat it!

Someone told me they wanted to be completely insane when they die. They said they didn't want to have any idea what was going on. Their way of experiencing a peaceful death.

That person must be intensely fearful of death. I don't really understand that deep fearfulness of death.

I probably fear how it happens rather than the reality of it. I won't exist in my body anymore. I won't wake up again. That scares me the most. Anticipating death is not healthy. Worrying about it and stressing about how or why will only make the fears worse. If I can go peacefully with a level of awareness at the end, then that's the best I can hope for. I had a family member pass in their sleep last year and its tough because they just left, and didn't get to say goodbye. I still can't believe it. His family didn't get to say goodbye. So, it makes you question, does the soul feel that sense of loss or discomfort with leaving things unsettled? I also believe that having faith in God makes a difference. If someone feels secure in Him, then they may feel they won't need to fear the afterlife. I think it's the uncertain feeling that you don't know or not sure where your soul will go or be, that really scares most people.

Reactions: #@&5&49
Death is part of life. We're all born and we all must die. There seems to be many ways we can choose to experience death, whether it be our own or someone else's. I've found very few people who are comfortable discussing the topic of death and dying. Bit of a taboo topic, a tad morbid, and it can be just plain depressing, but its also a fascinating subject and I'm curious how other folks perceive it and experience it. I'd like to expand my perspective on it.

I agree completely. It's not acceptable to discuss it in society. The only thing that is really acceptable to discuss about it is its prevention. Which is fine to discuss, but it's not the whole topic. Discussing it only from the perspective of prevention also has the effect of treating it as a disorder or a disease, which clearly it isn't.

Maybe it's the fear of how one is going to die as opposed to fearing death itself. I mean a person could linger for years in agonizing pain. That's kind of scarey.