ZenCat

Waving Sage
Oct 4, 2008
A Hippie Commune
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
Recently 2
One of the benefits of being an extreme introvert. I never go out on Black Friday. WTF is wrong with people????

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

BY JOE GOULD
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Updated Friday, November 28th 2008, 12:28 PM
alg_walmart_police.jpg
Police tape surrounds a Wal-Mart that was the scene of a deadly stampede.

amd_walmart_crowd.jpg
This photo was taken moments before the Wal-Mart store opened.

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.
Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

CAUGHT ON CAMERA: WAL-MART CROWD MOMENTS BEFORE DEADLY STAMPEDE

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."
The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

The cause of death was pending.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said.

Three other shoppers suffered minor injuries, cops said.

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.
"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

This is why america should be nuked.

That's what's wrong with americans. I'd have every single person in that crowd who didn't stop, Arrested for murder, first degree. Death Sentence.

This is why america should be nuked.

That's what's wrong with americans. I'd have every single person in that crowd who didn't stop, Arrested for murder, first degree. Death Sentence.

Sigh.

[/fliter] <--- spellcheck

Nuke America and you take the nice Americans out too. For instance, moi. I don't think we have the market cornered on stooooopid.

Politicians who say "Nuke America" and "That's what's wrong with Americans" will probably have limited success and a really creepy support base.

It's sad, and wrong, and why I don't go to stores on Black Friday.

Amazon is always open.

I live in America you prick. :m080:

Sigh.

[/fliter] <--- spellcheck

I don't think we have the market cornered on stooooopid.

Yeah, sad story... Never shop day after TG. Hate crowds. INFJ nightmare.

Last edited:
I agree with Shai though, anyone who didn't stop should be arrested.

I hate shopping.

Yeah he's right.

People disgust me.

I'm glad you posted this, I was actually going to. It's very sad, I was at a Wal-Mart myself this morning (4:15 am) *yawns*. And it was the most insane Black Friday experience I've ever had. We were there 45 minutes before the whole thing started and there was almost no parking. We were packed in the aisles, but everyone really was trying to work together, (otherwise you couldn't get anywhere). I do think they need a better system though when they have items like the $30 MP3. Of course people are going to freak out, they need to rope it off and have someone passing out the items or something.

Also, I'm sure it happens frequently and not just in America. I hear it happening all the time in other countries (especially at concerts, rallies, etc).

Last edited:
Oh yea, trampling people is always justified when there is a good deal on material things.

I forgot.

Srsly, wtf.

I can't buy into this consumer hype of gotta get the latest and greatest gadget because if I don't my kids (or I) will suffer. Is it about popularity and status? Or, is the advertising so damn good that we are made to believe that we really won't be able to breath without it. Or, the competitive price issues? Prices are going down in every market. There is no need for a panic run to Walmart. The deals will be there later too because the recession is going to start kicking in next year anyway hitting retail even harder.

I'm glad that my kids don't really seem to care if Joey down the street has something that they'll get in 6 months to a year later anyway.

I hate shopping.

Oh yea, trampling people is always justified when there is a good deal on material things.

I forgot.

Srsly, wtf.

I didn't say it was justified, nor am I excusing it. It can never be justified. But it's going to happen when you have hundreds of people going after the exact same items in a small crowded space, somebody is going to get hurt.

I've NEVER heard of it happening in australia or new zealand.

I don't think that a stampede for some stupid reason originated in the US, but this is a very sad event, esp because Walmarts are everywhere around here.

Anyway, the day after Thanks Giving is the number one shopping day of the year in the U.S. There is a lot of hype about it some people fall for it. I just don't get standing out in the cold at 4 in the morning to BUY a gadget.

I've NEVER heard of it happening in australia or new zealand.

Shai.

I am sure with a little time and incentive I could fill a page with links to embarrassing national news stories about Australia.

But what's my motivation? I don't hate Australia or Australians (or New Zealand or New Zealanders). Your whole country has a population comparable to the state of New York (where the incident in this article took place). Yeah there are stupid people here. There are stupid people everywhere. There may be less stupid news coming out of your country because the population is a fraction of mine.

Don't be such a provincial little bigot. It demeans you.

Your whole country has a population comparable to the state of New York (where the incident in this article took place). Yeah there are stupid people here. There are stupid people everywhere. There may be less stupid news coming out of your country because the population is a fraction of mine.

Very good point. If I lived in Long Island, there is no way in hell I'd be in a Wal-Mart on a Black Friday.

Anyway, the day after Thanks Giving is the number one shopping day of the year in the U.S. There is a lot of hype about it some people fall for it. I just don't get standing out in the cold at 4 in the morning to BUY a gadget.

I honestly enjoy it, I get some steals, and it's kind of exciting. But, it's not for everyone... I don't mind the noise, crowds, or even occasionally rude people. I actually didn't have one bad experience today, people were smiling and helping each other out. But still, I'm very sad to hear of this man's death. Maybe this will trigger some changes in how things are done. They can't control people that come into the store, but they can control traffic flow, distribution, etc. The fire marshal was actually at our store this morning and the managers started to really take control of the crowds and get it organized.

Shai.

I am sure with a little time and incentive I could fill a page with links to embarrassing national news stories about Australia.

But what's my motivation? I don't hate Australia or Australians (or New Zealand or New Zealanders). Your whole country has a population comparable to the state of New York (where the incident in this article took place). Yeah there are stupid people here. There are stupid people everywhere. There may be less stupid news coming out of your country because the population is a fraction of mine.

Don't be such a provincial little bigot. It demeans you.
"Provincial", "Bigot"... Testing the filter?

okay, find those news articles. I bet I can find worse ones about australia than you can. And they still won't be as bad as the constant Black Friday news stories. This happens every single year.

"Provincial", "Bigot"... Testing the filter?

okay, find those news articles. I bet I can find worse ones about australia than you can. And they still won't be as bad as the constant Black Friday news stories. This happens every single year.

No, and no.

Not testing the filter. Just having expectations of you that I honestly believe you can rise to.

Not finding/posting insulting articles about Australia because it can serve no purpose other than to make you and other Australians cringe. Why would I do that? I have no nationalistic prejudices. I have no interest in seeking out the "worst" Australia has to offer because I'm quite content with my positive view of Australia and Australians.

Let's try looking at this another way:

When I posted this article, I had no reason to believe or expect that it would spawn an insult and desire for the complete obliteration of my country.

When I heard this news I thought of those people who stampeded as "Them". I thought of this forum as "Us". I thought of us here, believing ourselves rational, enlightened, sensitive being different from them there.

There was no thought of nationality. Heck, knowing my country, half of that crowd could have been comprised of illegal aliens. So what? I'm sure there were far more illegal aliens at home, working hard, being decent human beings and raising their children.

So I did not expect the pit full of sharpened spikes you dug by declaring America should be nuked and saying "This" is what's wrong with Americans. You imply by such statements that mindlessly stampeding unto death is an implied American trait.

It wasn't necessary to bring nationality into it. It makes you look bigoted. And bigots are small. You don't think of yourself as small, right? I've been here long enough to believe you don't want others to think of you as small. So filtering your bigotry (possibly as a first step toward overcoming or rising above it altogether) might me something for you to consider.

Last edited:
Wow Shai...killing a whole country (MILLIONS) of people justifies a freak accident that took place at a Wal-mart?! Yeah, it was sad and horrifying, but those shoppers don't represent the MILLIONS of people who live in the USA. How dare you take something like this and twist it into something so ugly and disturbing? I gave you more credit than that...but I guess I was wrong. REALLY wrong. And that makes me sad...I've lost my respect for you.

I saw this news on another forum, and I can't express how ANGRY I am about it. The girl video taping the scene on her cell phone actually LAUGHED while he was laying there with the paramedics! I was going to post the news here but Zencat beat me to it. It's sad this man had to die over something so meaningless. :( I know many of the shoppers won't be put away, but they all deserve it.