Daydreaming | INFJ Forum

Daydreaming

Zanshin

Community Member
Dec 18, 2008
MBTI
INFJ
I've always had pretty intense daydreams especially when there's something on my mind. When this happens, daydreams just take over and I completely zone out from whatever is happening at the moment. My imagination just takes over and conjures up some scenario whether good or bad or when i'm bored I just like thinking about other things. Whether I'm in class, talking to someone, walking, or doing whatever. I've had people comment on me zoning out on them or just zoning out in general. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Yup. I daydream a lot, always have.

I try to confine it to bedtime though (my own internal bedtime story), otherwise it can be alarmingly insidious.

The amount of daydreaming I do definitely has a direct correlation to the amount of stress I'm feeling.

I daydream also.

Scrubs, Doug, Bobby's World, yeah I relate to those shows mainly cause of they're paranoid daydreams.

Daydreaming (and stuff related to it) is one of the things that makes me so freaking jumpy, since I do it so much.

I wish I got paid for the time I spend daydreaming. I'd be rich!

I also tend to do this. I espicially tended to zone out when I was preparing for a emcee speech last time :D

I think I inadvertently offend people with my daydreaming. I zone out and have this blank expression and forget to pay attention to people.

I just get so involved in my own mind. What's scary is that I've noticed I almost start to do this while driving sometimes. I have to really make a point to keep focusing on my surroundings while driving or doing anything else that's potentially hazardous.

I spend 2/3 of my life daydreaming. But it works for me. And to think they wanted to put me on Ritalin to get me to stop daydreaming.

I day dream and the likes when i do no-brainer chores or just walking around. Makes me feel better after. I notice that I am doing it more now that i feel so lonely. Sometimes, I wish some of my day dreams would just come true.

I just get so involved in my own mind. What's scary is that I've noticed I almost start to do this while driving sometimes. I have to really make a point to keep focusing on my surroundings while driving or doing anything else that's potentially hazardous.

That is the exact reason I started confining my daydreaming to right before bed. Hearing a song in the car can trigger thoughts and memories that send me catapulting straight into daydream mode bigtime.

That is the exact reason I started confining my daydreaming to right before bed. Hearing a song in the car can trigger thoughts and memories that send me catapulting straight into daydream mode bigtime.

but how do you confine something like that?
I dont know about you but for me, it just comes naturally and I dont realise it till i'm already daydreaming. Like you said, just listening to a song could make me just suddenly zone out, whatever the circumstances.

but how do you confine something like that?
I dont know about you but for me, it just comes naturally and I dont realise it till i'm already daydreaming. Like you said, just listening to a song could make me just suddenly zone out, whatever the circumstances.

It may just be practice. It absolutely does come naturally, and always has, but when I'm driving in the car with my son, losing concentration is a luxury I don't feel I can afford. There's a point where I realize I'm beginning to daydream more deeply than the situation warrants, and instead of giving in to it, I postpone it.

I daydream so much .__. There was a time where I kind of realized that my daydreams were almost more vivid than my memories of the real world...I was kind of disoriented at the thought for a while. One of those "What is reality?" moments...

But yeah, it definitely comes naturally...it's a strange thought to me that everyone doesn't daydream, but I have an ENFJ friend that says he doesn't daydream at all...which everyone does sometimes, but the idea of not being aware of daydreams or making something of them is strange to me

I have very creepy ones.. but they are valid. I was in a mood where I didn't want to have anything to do with anybody.. and then I found myself in a daydream in which there were two people and one of them was growing wings out of their back, but the only way for the wings to grow was for another person to cut them out of the back and then clean the wound afterwords, otherwise, one would never grow wings. Not exactly sure what it's supposed to mean, but I have ideas. Kinda cheesy maybe

Last edited:
I agree with ZC on keeping an eye on it and learn to control it so it doesn't overtake you at inoportune times. Wait, is that a word? I got in the car to go over to my parents for a visit one day. It's a 15 or 20 minute drive. I ended up across town with no idea how I got there because I got so deeply into a daydream. It scared me a bit as I gathered myself together and headed towards their house again, an hour later! And, as soon as I became aware of my surroundings the memory of my daydream vanished! It freaked me out because I had no idea where I had just been.

Yeah, I daydream allll the time. Generally it happens a lot more when I'm not happy with my real life, so I use it to escape it...it can be good and bad...good because reality is very traumatic sometimes, and bad because sometimes I don't deal with issues when I should because I'm lost in a daydream of some other life. I'm working on it though!

I used to daydream a lot but there are days when everyday life itself just feels so dreamy...so unreal....

but one thing I like about the daydreams is that it can make a trip on public transport so much more entertaining and enjoyable ;)

I used to daydream so much more before I had the internet. Now, I think it's just thirty second fantasies or some such, and I forget when I'm doing it. But I'm usually alert, which is sort of frustrating.

Yup that's sooo me. I am constantly daydreaming. When I'm walking, when I'm eating, and I tend to zone out into my own world even while I'm with my friends.
Also, I should reeeally learn to pay attention to is to watch where I'm walking. I tend to walk into traffic or bump into people without noticing haha.