Crime

Azazel

Community Member
Sep 20, 2012
MBTI
–
Enneagram
–
If someone you love/respect/value tells you he/she has commited a crime what are your actions? Would you consider a type of a crime and the circumstances or would you want to be no longer a part of his/her life? What type of crime, if any, would make you stop any futher relationship with this person? Would you tell the authorities about a crime?

Let's assume you have a very strong bond with this person. It can be your partner, parents, your kid, a friend, etc.

Often times merely knowing about a crime can be a crime itself.

I am all about "see no evil, hear no evil"

One thing about being a skin--be wary of authority--federal or otherwise. I won't tangle with anything unless I have to. I won't lie for someone but I'm not going to run to the police about crap either. I dunno how I would feel about murder--probably try and talk them into turning themselves in. For something less than a major crime--I won't stick my neck out. For a major crime, I would do what needed to be done but try really hard to not be involved in the goings on.

absolutely would depend on the crime. if it were violent or perverse i could not tolerate it at all. if it were deceitful, as in fraud or theft i would not want to be around that person again either.
pretty much anything else i could work around to some degree.
any laws i'm breaking are ok of course...

oh yeah, as for turning them in. if it were the first two i mentioned you bet i would, for the rest no

Last edited:
It would depend on the person, circumstances and context. Generally speaking i dont interfere in someone's business unless i they want me to, they really need help, or if they are hurting themselves or someone else. Even then... it really depends. I would rather help the person sort out his/her conflict than simply dob on them. I dont really trust 'authorities' in general, and i think that many laws and institutions are irelevant and corrupt. I have very little faith in the 'justice system' (literally an oxymoron!). I have committed a fair few 'crimes', as have my friends and family.

I believe that taking personal responsibility and exercising free will and control over life is integral to personal development and growth. People are happier and more succesful when they feel empowered and in control. So in that sense i would wish to help the person understand and accept their responsibilty, but i would not take it upon myself to punish them or incriminate them. That would be entirely their own decision. While i believe that everyone should be 'accountable' for their actions, i dont feel its my responsibility to enforce this.

If the person refused to accept responsibility and take control, and i found their actions to be particularly heinous, i would cut them out of my life. The company we keep is very important. I would not feel comfortable around someone that i considered to be extremely unethical, negative or wasnt capable of taking responsibity and exercising control and direction over their life.

On a completely different note, i have dobbed in strangers for things like leaving their dog or children in a closed hot car at the shopping mall for too long, and i called the cops and intervenend in on my neighbours twice when i heard they were having a violent domestic dispute. Ive also stuck my nose when i see strangers having a violent fight. I can be an annoying busybody at these times. Im not prepared to be live with myself if i dont atleast do something in those situations. Im not having someone else's blood on my hands.

I would help help them. Fuck cops and fuck the law. Unless it was like, serial killing, at which point I would probably turn them in.

If someone you love/respect/value tells you he/she has commited a crime what are your actions? Would you consider a type of a crime and the circumstances or would you want to be no longer a part of his/her life? What type of crime, if any, would make you stop any futher relationship with this person? Would you tell the authorities about a crime?

Let's assume you have a very strong bond with this person. It can be your partner, parents, your kid, a friend, etc.

I would definitely have to consider the type of crime and the circumstances. If I value, respect and love this person, then it would take something serious like (as [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] mentioned) serial killer activity to make me turn them in. Because in a situation like that, the person kills for a thrill and that is a true sickness...you know it is going to happen again unless you turn them in immediately.

Again I would CLOSELY have to exam the circumstances. That would be the determining factor.

I'm not even sure how exactly I feel about it. A crime against children, animal torture or rape would be my limits, I think. For me it really means a lot who the person is and what circumstances are. I wouldn't turn them in (except those crimes mentioned earlier) despite my inner conflicts. If I think about it deeply... I'm not as a moral person as I thought I was. It makes me feel wrong in a way. I believe nearly everyone has an animal inside of them, under harsh circumstances or mental instability anyone could slip. And of course, self-defense and survival are something I justify completely.

Serial killing: I'd talk them into turning themselves in but I wouldn't abandon them. Yes, my life would be finished but I still wouldn't walk away.

I'm not even sure how exactly I feel about it. A crime against children, animal torture or rape would be my limits, I think. For me it really means a lot who the person is and what circumstances are. I wouldn't turn them in (except those crimes mentioned earlier) despite my inner conflicts. If I think about it deeply... I'm not as a moral person as I thought I was. It makes me feel wrong in a way. I believe nearly everyone has an animal inside of them, under harsh circumstances or mental instability anyone could slip. And of course, self-defense and survival are something I justify completely.

ANY crime against a child would do it for me too. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

ANY crime against a child would do it for me too. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

Somehow I think that anyone I know couldn't end up in this group anyway, but I'm just saying. An abused kid is a messed up adult for the rest of the life, at least under the service. Taking advantage of a little one is the bottom in my eyes.

If I knew a serial killer would go to the authorities first, then I would move, change my name, cut my hair etc and if I had a bond with one, I would probably just give up on people. Bond would be broken.

I also turn in suspected child molesters ugh, I can't imagine that happening to someone I had a bond with, but if it did I'm sure the bond would probably be broken.

otherwise, I avoid most criminals though I tolerate some white collar and drug offenses I would rarely get in the way of those things. I would do my best to be ignorant of the entire thing, at least the details. I don't help.

I sure they'd have a good reason for whatever they have done. I'd probably join them. If they didnt I would just take appropriate action. Is that vague enough for you?

I sure they'd have a good reason for whatever they have done. I'd probably join them. If they didnt I would just take appropriate action. Is that vague enough for you?

Yeah, but enough to see your point :)

[MENTION=4871]CindyLou[/MENTION] now I know why you were in Level 2 (?)hell :)
Molesters YUCK! I'd hunt for them.

Depending on what crime, I guess.

But I think generally speaking knowing they had done some crime (worse, is still doing) it will damage a certain degree of something. At best, it will complicate things because from the most peripheral layer; damn, they have been lying about -that- from me?

The point at which I'm leaving would be either when enough people have been damaged (sexual molesting, white collar crime) or enough damage have been dealt (murder, multiple violent assaults). Related would be the amount of remorse and whether if they'd done it again or not.

But that gave me an interesting thing to ponder;
how would you react is someone you've been close with had been accused with some crime and they denied it vehemently ("It's not rape; it's just a hook-up gone bad!" "I'm not guilty; I was framed!") ?

Or if -you- were made an accomplice, whether directly ("Now you know, help me! You love me, right?") or indirectly ("Well I did this for you!", for instance)?