Si master race.
Banned
Feb 17, 2009
MBTI
ISTJ
Enneagram
9w1
conspiracy theory

noun 1. a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group.

the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

Please note that I started this with a definition so you know its legit.

These have been on the boards for awhile now but I dont think its been directly addressed in this way. At what point is a conspiracy theory a crazy conspiracy theory?

My "guiding rule" on the subject is that it crazy when its truthfulness is explained away by a phrase such as: Of course it's true, thats what they want you to think! or its opposite: You dont believe? You must be one of the sheeple!

(I feel like I had the wording down great in the car, now that Im typing it my mind went blank. :( Should've worn a tin foil hat.)

I think it is when the shittiness of society is considered to be the result of malice on the part of few rather than due to the shittiness of humanity as a whole.

But then, why is humanity shitty? There are those who have the ability to change the playing field - but don't. Is that through malice or because it is widely known that people have comfort zones and don't like to step out of them unless they absolutely have to?

We know people are very capable of getting their shit together when they need to. Look at the two World Wars we probably didn't really want to fight...but did because the situation demanded it. Or on a less bloody level; the New Deal projects or the enormous building works that surround us.

I think we have given the comfort zone WAY too high a value. It is basically a bad thing that does nothing good and it has become the best place.

Who would encourage that frame of mind, that attitude that the people are better off in their own little boxes...unless they had malign intentions. It is not a hugely common trait amongst past leaders - it is a relatively new phenomena.

I don't know. But I do know that FAR too many politicians are thinking second term rather than long term; all around the world. Attention spans are getting shorter. But it's a chicken and egg type question.

As for Illuminaughty people...well, they can't be very illuminated if all they care about it money and power.

It is my opinion that conspiracy theories are simply the excuse of the lazy. Conspiracy implies that one has no control nor capacity to understand what is truly happening thus any mistake or lack of action is based solely on the fact one is "led".

As Cornerstone stated, "We know people are very capable of getting their shit together when they need to. Look at the two World Wars we probably didn't really want to fight...but did because the situation demanded it. Or on a less bloody level; the New Deal projects or the enormous building works that surround us. I think we have given the comfort zone WAY too high a value."

Human beings are quite capable of individual thought and action, but the remnifications of that is too risky for many and crying, "conspiracy!" is the way out of the responsibility.

Have a look at the current LIBOR interest rate rigging scandal in which it has been proven the central banks are conspiring with banks to rig the interest rates

What about your workplace? Is it controlled by a boss or group of bosses? Is it a democracy? Do you and all the other employees get to vote on all the issues or do you do what you're damn well told or risk losing your job? Is your workplace run by a small elite of 'management'......that sounds like a 'conspiracy theory' to me!

But surely the same model can't apply to society.....i mean i get to vote for a political party every 5 years so i must be empowered.....after all those honest politicians are sure to carry out what they've promised they will do when they get into office....won't they?

Reactions: the
Have a look at the current LIBOR interest rate rigging scandal in which it has been proven the central banks are conspiring with banks to rig the interest rates

What about your workplace? Is it controlled by a boss or group of bosses? Is it a democracy? Do you and all the other employees get to vote on all the issues or do you do what you're damn well told or risk losing your job? Is your workplace run by a small elite of 'management'......that sounds like a 'conspiracy theory' to me!

But surely the same model can't apply to society.....i mean i get to vote for a political party every 5 years so i must be empowered.....after all those honest politicians are sure to carry out what they've promised they will do when they get into office....won't they?

However you can quit your job, but not society. You could change nations, but youll always be a part of one.

a conspiracy theory is crazy when it has no basis in logic or reality.
a conspiracy theory is irrelevant when there is nothing to back it up evidence wise. (hearsay and/or personal testimonials without documentation are not evidence)
there are some conspiracy theories out there that do have a ring of truth to them though, and i feel it's important to pay attention at least for general interest's sake.

However you can quit your job, but not society. You could change nations, but youll always be a part of one.

Perhaps in your body but not necessarily in your mind

I think conspiracy thrives because we give the concept of "intention" too much credit. We are taught to question everything almost to the extreme, even paranois, and assume that everything that we see or don't see is because of some insidious plot to deceive, as if bad things which happen are always a result of someone's bad intentions such as a secret, clandestine plot by the powers that be to take over the world. These supposed all powerful people may not be as powerful or in control as you think. I think the people in power may not even know what they're doing, but yet they get credit for masterminding plans or plots. Sometimes bad things happen, and it wasn't intended.

Last edited:
Not to mention the fact that there are shady goings on in all walks of life.

For example, a decision made in a workplace may be because someone has dirt on someone else and so a decision is made with circumstances in mind that are unknown to most and never become common knowledge because the "right" decision was made. Blackmail and extortion are pretty commonplace where power and control are concerned. It's a "legitimate" bargaining tool in some areas of business.

So to think this does not apply to the highest rungs of the societal ladder is madness. It's why after studying it I've come to consider the view that we can never truly know everything about History. You can have all the primary evidence in the form of laws passed but then there are letters revealing the impact of personal relationships on the events that transpired. How much is just not recorded but maybe whispered about at the time? We can't know.

The same surely applies now as well.

I'd say there are certain abstract things that supercede the plots of people

For example i'd say that whenever there is centralised power there will be corruption and exploitation

I think that can work on a small scale in for example workplaces and it can work on a large scale in governments or in international organisations

What i always find when i discuss with people who deny that there are conspiracies occuring at a high level is that they haven't even heard of the things i'm talking about! That's the incredible thing....many people will flat out deny things when they don't even have the most basic facts

How many people know what the washington consensus is?

How many people know that the federal reserve act was drawn up by a group of bankers at a secret meeting on jekyl island?

How many people know that the US government and the Canadian government sanctioned experiments on humans without their permission (operation MKUltra)?

I think people are being conditioned to not question things. I think that a negative stigma has been attached to the term 'conspiracy theory' by the corporate media to shut down discussions on certain subjects.....i mean here is the PRESIDENT of the USA telling you not to question the offical line of events:

[video=youtube;1-Hj-Y6o6ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Hj-Y6o6ec[/video]

So there you have it....not only must you ignore 'conspiracy theories' but you must not tolerate them.....which means that it is your patriotic duty to get anyone who questions the government to stfu....otherwise....well i guess you're just another 'terrorist' like the rest......so much for free speech!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lerxst
mmmm.
here is the PRESIDENT of the USA telling you not to question the offical line of events
....guess they don't call it a bullypulpit for nothing.

Reactions: muir
There are a lot of scientific theories people don't question, in fact many of them we take as truth. So what's the difference between a conspiracy theory and a scientific theory, especially when that conspiracy theory has just as much truth to it as the scientific ones?

There are a lot of scientific theories people don't question, in fact many of them we take as truth. So what's the difference between a conspiracy theory and a scientific theory, especially when that conspiracy theory has just as much truth to it as the scientific ones?

Conspiracy theories depend on the inability to know anything about the proposed organization. Scientific theories depend on the ability to discover the truth about reality. I can't ever prove the Illuminati are real - it's a secret organization I haven't been invited into. I can prove that the moon orbits the Earth.

Conspiracy theories depend on the inability to know anything about the proposed organization. Scientific theories depend on the ability to discover the truth about reality. I can't ever prove the Illuminati are real - it's a secret organization I haven't been invited into. I can prove that the moon orbits the Earth.

Why cant you prove the illuminati are real? You just find them.

It becomes CRAZY when you go to the school counselor telling them that your child is a product of Monarch Programming and can be called to pull a 'Columbine' at any moment. Reading and learning about it is one thing, but actually BELIEVING it and then hurting those around you with those beliefs is just INSANE.

True story. Get a clue before the state takes your kids away.

If you can prove a theory in science, then it becomes a law; until then, it's still a theory. Gravity, for instance = law. Wormholes = theory.

When disbelieving is proof of how true it is, I think that suggests a conspiracy theory.

Here's something to ponder about regarding conspiracies: :)

“There’s a plot in this country to enslave every man, woman and child. Before I leave this high and noble office, I intend to expose this plot.”

- President John F. Kennedy
7 days before his assasination