Connection . . . | INFJ Forum

Connection . . .

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, we all have differing needs for connection, some less, and others more.

I realized recently that i was not the total recluse i thought i was. And that i really do need connection, albeit a deeper one with one or two rather than many. I like being in an environment where there's people around me even if i'm not interacting with them all the time.

So, how are you with connecting? A lot or a little? What kinds of connections do you want or need?

Last edited:
Like you Res, I prefer a few deep connections as opposed to several not-so-deep ones.

However, I've realized over the years that having a variety of connections with people is beneficial. The key is to find some sort of balance that is comfortable for me, but my connections are always subject to change in type and number, so I am consistently reevaluating them.

Bottom line: I seek physical connections with some, emotional and social ones with others, and a combination of the two with few.

Reactions: Gaze
Okay Ex-Anita, your new name Res reminds me of Rez, which is slang for Native American Reservations in the US. BTW, Rez boys or girls are considered tough as nails--being rez'ed out is NDN for poor and tough since the economies of most Rezs are third world at best.

Connection come with responsibilites. I take into consideration the responsibilities of forging connections before I make them. It makes me choosier but I feel more informed decision making is wiser that just vaulting into things pell mell.

connection...

I tend to make few connections, but those I have run deep. I've never given consideration to resposibilitie sembedded in connection, but she makes a good point.

At some point I realized that I could connect with all people on some level or another, and there would always be many of people I could connect with deeply if under the right circumstances. I think that humanity, even life, or even the universe in infinity connected, so I never really feel disconnected. As far as personal, emotional connections go, I've had so many of the with so many beautiful people under completely serendipitous circumstances, that I don't really feel a desire to have them anymore more - not that I don't enjoy them when they happen, but I can put 'connection' on indefinite hiatus in favour of other priorities and not suffer very much from it.

I'm not sure if that makes any sense... In a sentence, I love feeling deeply connected people, but I never really feel disconnected, even when I don't have any people in my life who I would consider to be friends,

Last edited:

I realized recently that i was not the total recluse i thought i was. And that i really do need connection, albeit a deeper one with one or two rather than many. I like being in an environment where there's people around me even if i'm not interacting with them all the time.

So, how are you with connecting? A lot or a little? What kinds of connections do you want or need?

I am a total introvert and I can sometimes be quite content with myself and thoughts. Other times I need to feel close to others, whether superficially or something deeper. My need for interaction waxes and wanes all the time.

I wish I could need more connections therefore I could be more outgoing and extraverted but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

I didn't think I needed connections once upon a time. But deep connections are what bring me happiness, those few, perhaps two or three at a time, are what make my life worth living. Not that I would kill myself without them, but it would make life so much harder. Having someone understand you, and understanding another, is the single greatest feeling I have ever had, and it is what I most deeply desire and look for in my life. So I need to a few deep connections in my life.

Reactions: Kgal

I have a huge need to relate and connect with others - I guess I call it a need for emotional intimacy. I only recently realized, and am still realizing, just how deeply it runs within me. On second note, I don't always need to be chatting with others or need to be around people, sometimes a presence or atmosphere of intimacy/authenticity is enough.

Ironically, I have had a very difficult time actually being able to connect with people, and for a long time I lacked the necessary skills for doing so. I'm making strides though.

Welcome back, Res. :wink:

Last edited:
On second note, I don't always need to be chatting with others or need to be around people, sometimes a presence or atmosphere of intimacy/authenticity is enough.

+1

Yes I do love harmony among people working and studying together. But I might not need to interact every 5 minutes with them and that is what other types prefer unfortunately. I might have to practise extraversion here.
I also prefer having a few deep relationships compared to superficial ones. True many superficial relationships might open more doors as there are more connections but in the long run, it won't make me happy.