Cognitive Processes in one Sentence

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
Introverted Sensing (Si) sees what was.
Extroverted Sensing (Se) sees what is.
Extroverted Intuition (Ne) sees what could be.
Introverted Intuition (Ni) sees what will be.

Introverted Thinking (Ti) knows how things work.
Extroverted Thinking (Te) knows how things relate.
Introverted Feeling (Fi) knows how it feels.
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) knows how it should be.

That's pretty good, the Fi one seems off a bit though.

Therefore...

INFJ's see what will be, and know how it should be.
ENFJ's know how it should be, and see how it will be.

INFP's know how it feels, and see what could be.
ENFP's see what could be, and know how it feels.

ISFP's see what it is, and know how it feels.
ESFP's know how it feels, and see what it is.

INTP's know how it works, and see what could be.
ENTP's see what could be, and know how it works.

INTJ's see what will be, and know how it relates.
ENTJ's know how things relate be, and see how they will be.

ISTP's know how things work, and see what they are.
ESTP's see what is, and know how it works.

ISFJ's see what was, and because of that know how it should be.
ESFJ's know how things should be, and see what they were.

ISTJ's know how things relate, and see what was.
ESTJ's see what was, and know how it relates.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faye
INFJ's see what will be, and know how it should be.

That is what makes INFJs so great/scary. :D

Do you have a better description? I trust you as an expert on Fi dominant reasoning. :)

I'm not even sure what is not right about it, maybe it is just the bottom four don't have same symmetry as the top four.

So for mine:

(Si) sees what was.
Extroverted Sensing (Se) sees what is.
Introverted Intuition (Ni) sees what will be

Those are perfect as you have them.

Te builds structure
Ti weaves threads
Fe knows how the group should be
Fi knows how the self should be

So:

INTJ: sees what will be and therefore builds structure to it (Enterprise)
ISTJ: sees what was and therefore builds structure on it (Institutions)
ENTP: sees what could be and therefore weaves threads through it (Theory)
ESTP: sees what is and therefore weaves threads through it (Scams & tax avoidance J/K)
ESFP: sees what is and therefore how they should be (Hedonism?)
ENFP: sees what could be and therefore how they should be (Individuality?)
INFJ: sees what will be and therefore how the group should be (Activism)
ISFJ: sees what was and therefore how the group should be (Conservatism?)

Could be miles off, this just off the top of my head. Fi still doesn't seem quite right.

Last edited:
There used to be a site called N-Central and I made a post about the fundamental needs of each cognitive process. It was an excellent post but the site went down so I'm referencing from memory. The needs are as follows:

Si: The need for stability (if you can't know the future, isnt the next best thing knowing that it WONT change?)
Se: The need to experience the possibilities (if you can't know the possibilities, isnt the next best thing finding them out for yourself?)
Ni: The need to predict (if the future changes regardless, then shouldnt we want to know how it develops?)
Ne: The need to know the possibilities (if we want to make an educated guess then shouldnt we know what our options are?)
Ti: The need to understand the truth (if we want to maintain our personal integrity, isnt absolute truth needed to cut through the BS?)
Te: The need to move forward (If we can't see the importance of how we rely on others, isnt the next best thing to rely on only our own power?)
Fi: The need for integrity (If we can't know the absolute truth of any given situation, isnt it at least best to know ourselves?)
Fe: The need to be needed (If we can't identify with our own absolute self, then isnt the next best thing to find our place?)

I'll probably modify this post if I can think of a better way to describe these.

Last edited:
Introverted Thinking (Ti) knows how things work.
Extroverted Feeling (Fe) knows how it should be.
Introverted Sensing (Si) sees what was.

Ne: The need to know the possibilities (if we want to make an educated guess then shouldnt we know what our options are?)
Ti: The need to understand the truth (if we want to maintain our personal integrity, isnt absolute truth needed to cut through the BS?)
Fe: The need to be needed (If we can't identify with our own absolute self, then isnt the next best thing to find our place?)
Si: The need for stability (if you can't know the future, isnt the next best thing knowing that it WONT change?)

ENTP's see what could be, and know how it works.

ENTP: sees what could be and therefore weaves threads through it (Theory)

Is it possible for the infj(or others) to use, unconsciously(though not ruling out or talking about consciously), metacognition? Can the infj use the ability to think about what we think while not knowing we are doing so? If so, can that explain partly why emotion, by some, is considered a cognitive process? Can becoming emotional about something possibly come from thinking overly about something, therefore causing emotional thought? If any of this makes sense, can it therefore be applied to seeing and knowing, leading to needing?

Last edited:
Yes.

Is it possible for the infj(or others) to use, unconsciously(though not ruling out or talking about consciously), metacognition? Can the infj use the ability to think about what we think while not knowing we are doing so? If so, can that explain partly why emotion, by some, is considered a cognitive process? Can becoming emotional about something possibly come from thinking overly about something, therefore causing emotional thought? If any of this makes sense, can it therefore be applied to seeing and knowing, leading to needing?
I think that any type is capable of metacognition (which is defined as watching what you're thinking/analyzing your thoughts from a more detached perspective which is not influenced by their emotional content) -- I know because I've done it, though not too often.

Secondly emotion isnt necessarily a cognitive process. Feelings and emotions are different I think. A feeling judgement accesses the emotional parts of any sense data and uses its own logic to influence decisions and thoughts made by that.

And I agree with your proposition that becoming emotional could be from overly thinking about something for the very reason that every time we access an emotional thought, we re-experience the emotion attached to the thought. When we put that thought back into long-term memory we attach additional emotional data to it which strengthens the original emotional data (sort of like making a photocopy of the emotional data and putting it back into the same folder as the original data). This is the reason why when a person gets into a traumatizing accident, they will overthink about it intending to analyze the data in order to prevent future threats, but will actually develop an irrational fear about anything related to the incident. Its also the same reason why we become nostalgic about things -- we tend to remember things as better than they actually were (or better than our emotional state actually WAS at the time) because we access those memories and attach more 'happy' data to it.

That could be looked at as, though maybe not being :
If we see what was(Si) and know or remember how it feels(Fi),
we therefore see what will be(Ni) and know how it should be(Fe).
That's almost like using other processes to influence our major processes.
Sounds almost like random access memory. Strange thinking about thinking. I actually became more aware by trying to not think.
Thinking about not thinking, or the beginning stages of clearing one's thoughts into nothing or emptiness, had me to start thinking about thinking. Is there something we can focus on as a strength when trying to learn how to clear the mind of thought?
Mind you, I'm just trying to dig deeper into what has already been posted in the first few posts. Thinking about a feeling from the past has to relate to emotion somewhere in the mind.

Last edited:
Well I think it does. Its like how in the Star Wars series, the jedi master Obi Wan Kenobi would say "trust your feelings" -- George Lucas was a smart man and actually drew the whole idea of jedi from different philosophical and religious sources (mostly eastern). So yeah, when we experience something we typically attach feelings to it as a way to sort of prioritize it in our head. When we look at a given thing from the feeling data alone, we begin to notice relations between the objects. It can look like clairvoyance but it might also just be pattern prediction based on the feelings we have stored about individual things.

Our emotions are just our overall mood as influenced by the feeling data of whatever is on our mind I guess.

Last edited: