Charisma | INFJ Forum

Charisma

Gaze

Donor
Sep 5, 2009
MBTI
INFPishy
So, this is a highly sought after quality. Charisma and charm have enormous social appeal and political power. But how does charisma work. What one person more charismatic, while another is just likeable. What's the appeal and power behind charisma. And what the pros and cons of too little or too much charisma.

Thoughts?

Gravitas is saucier.

Charismatic people have an allure, they draw you in. You desire to be around them just to see what they'll say/do next, but charisma can be put on to distract from underlying malicious intent. If I find depth underneath charismatic behavior, I will return for more, otherwise it's just theatre.

Reactions: Gaze
Charisma has me to think of a yacht: 130' Hatteras. Draws a crowd. Forgive my jest.
charisma-l.jpg

charisma is just awakening feelings in other people.

Charisma is what we call the ability to draw people to you and influence them.

I kind of use the word to describe two very diffrerent kinds of people.

The first are what I call "natually charming." They have extraordinary confidence, and an emotional resilience. They usually are better than average looking and usually have a good degree of physical grace as well. Everyone likes them, and everyone wants to be like them.

The second group are what I call "Charismatic Leaders." They are usually nobodies for most of their lives, and often have childhoods where they feel very alone. They may have experienced real trauma. The key to their charisma is their passion. Put this kind of person into the right place and the right time, and some catylist will propell them into being extraordinary leaders. This kind of charisma doesn't just win friends and influence people -- it creates disciples.

This second group are innately dangerous. Sometimes they have a sane, sound ideal to rally behind. Think Ghandi, Churchill, Lincoln, Martin Luther King Junior, Jeremiah, Loa Tze, the Lubavitcher Rebbe. But if they latch onto twisted ideals they can really become quite evil. Think Lenin, Mao, Hitler, Jim Jones, Charlie Manson.

Reactions: Ciergan
Charisma, my supply of that's endless.

I couldn't say the same for my kitten, sally, I've looked after it, feed it, tried to be there for it(she got stuck in the sewers at one point), played with it, somehow, it just lost all its playfulness(well, mostly), it feels as though I've signed my "be patient" contract ever since I've adopted it, it was so much fun being around, now I'm just at a point where i'm wondering, is it really worth it? My instinct are screaming that cat has to go,go,go, it shouldn't be coming with you no more, but there's definitely a soft spot for it somewhere on a lower level, which has made me hesitant to dispose of it, I want it to be around, but its just not the same as the old days, when it was a kitten.

Tough question. I would say what makes charisma difficult to pin down is that is entirely driven by personality and the individual. It is one of the few things that has little to do with group dynamics and is dependent upon the act/will of a single person. Most people recognize it when they see. I guess it just depends on how easily influenced you are whether or not someone's charisma affects you.

<<< 18 Charisma

Gravitas is saucier.

f that! people who take themselves so seriously should realize how ridiculous it makes them look.

Charismatic people have an allure, they draw you in. You desire to be around them just to see what they'll say/do next, but charisma can be put on to distract from underlying malicious intent. If I find depth underneath charismatic behavior, I will return for more, otherwise it's just theatre.

Exactly. Charisma is just theatre. It's a skill, like juggling or swimming.

It's separate from charm, and separate from likeability.... people will find different things in others charming or likeable. Everyone has their own sort of charm.

Reactions: grt$5vb
f that! people who take themselves so seriously should realize how ridiculous it makes them look.

Ohhhh yeeeahhh?

in my opinion charisma is the art of being able to seduce the general public.