anica

dark dreamer
Donor
Feb 11, 2009
MBTI
infp
Enneagram
4w5
I've been trying to type my older son without success since I learned about MBTI. I know I'm too close and I doubt he'd take the test or answer inaccurately if he did So I need some help, if anyone's willing.

Let's see... What can I tell you about him that would be helpful?

He's 24, almost 25 and, as far as I know, the youngest helicopter pilot in the Gulf of Mexico oil fields. He's a meticulous pilot and exudes confidence and authority on the job as well as in his private life. He even lost a contract once when he butted heads with the foreman of the crew he was transporting back to the mainland.

Despite his youth, when the lead pilot at his base left suddenly, he was offered the position. He turned down the job because it was a non-flying, administrative position and flying is his life.

He loves travel and adventure, like ferrying helicoptors from FL to Brazil on his "off-hitch" (he works two weeks on, two weeks off).

He's very popular and social, generous to a fault, and spends most of his time with fellow pilots on his off time. He has friends all over the country he met during flight school and various training classes. Once he meets someone, they seem to remain longtime friends.

Although he always did well academically, he was always a hands-on kid and had no interest in college; still doesn't.

He's surprisingly sentimental when it comes to childhood memories and good times we had when he was growing up.

Despite his sentimentality, he's private in a way that makes me feel I never quite know him, as if he's always holding back a part of himself.

He prefers to talk about his job, politics, etc., anything but his feelings..

He's quite concerned with the underdog, perhaps as a result of growing up in the disability community.

His friends are quite diverse--he hung out mostly with kids from Trinidad during flight school--and still stays in touch with them. Though he's not been on Facebook long, he already has 50 friends, and they aren't (or don't appear to be) supeficial friendships.

He is perrenially financially strapped despite earning a great salary, because he's always picking up the bill when he eats out with friends and because he travels regularly to visit friends on his off-hitch.

He finds the South repulsive in its attitude toward Blacks.

Girls are always falling all over him, but though he says he wants to date one, he never seems to get around to it. He definitely is not ready to settle down; there are too many adventures out there he hasn't had yet.

He's a really hard worker, often putting in 12-14 hour days. His paperwork is always up to date and his craft washed down and stowed properly each night.

He's pretty serious but a wicked wit shows through now and then.

Oh, and he's always had an extraordinary memory.

Ideas anyone? If anyone wants to try their hand at VI, he's on the cover of my profile albumn...the one on the left whose clean-shaven and doesn't wear glasses.

Last edited:
E*TJ

Sounds like ENTJ. Not all of us have an interest in University.

Can anyone type this "kid"?

Thanks for the inpu, Shai Gar. Sounds like a pretty good fit except for the part about being good with money. He's terrible.

Last edited:
I think this is definitely a good call, he sounds very similar to an ENTJ friend of mine. The combination of sociability and a private side, the compassion and the fact that he is a leader as well as a free spirit. These guys are really interesting people.

You guys are probably right. Don't know why I couldn't see that before. As I said, probably too close. I had been thinking more along the lines of ESTJ, but I think ENTJ is probably a better fit.

He finds the South repulsive in its attitude toward Blacks.

is this his generalization of the south? cause i'm from the south and not all of us are like that...

your son sounds like an awesome guy though...

i agree, ENTJ...

is this his generalization of the south? cause i'm from the south and not all of us are like that...

your son sounds like an awesome guy though...

i agree, ENTJ...

I suppose it sounds like a genera;ozation, but I didn't mean it as such. I mean, my folks were and my boyfriend is Southern and not bigoted. Chase, my son, just runs into it a lot from the oil rig workers he transports. He says he can't imagine what it's like for the Black pilots. And I'm sure it's not all the oil rig workers either. I hope I didn't offend you.

I think Chase is pretty sensitive to intolerance, having grown up with two disabled moms and being the only white kid besides his brother in his elementary school. I remember one day walking him home from school when he suddenly piped up, "I really wish I wasn't part of a race that's best known for enslavement and genocide." He was 10 at the time.

Then there's the whole issue of his "other mom" and her family being Jrewish. When we went through the Holocaust Museum in D.C., he came out very pale and drawn; I thought he was going to puke.

I think he gets overwhelmed at times by all he sees that's not right with the world in his view and skims along the surface with his travel and adventure and socializing to keep from thinking too much about it. He has strong opinions about almost everything but rarely voices them.

Really? They're allowed to pull that shit on the rigs?

I send people to oil rigs in the Arafura, and I'm sending guys and girls of every race out there. Racism isn't a thing they tolerate.

Really? They're allowed to pull that shit on the rigs?

I send people to oil rigs in the Arafura, and I'm sending guys and girls of every race out there. Racism isn't a thing they tolerate.

Apparently the "N" word is common parlance.

ESTP

As for ESTP, the gambling/spendthrift parts fit. When he was working in Atlantic City for two summers, he never had any money and when I visited him, his gambling seemed a little compulsive. But the trouble with school doesn't fit; academics were easy for him and he breezed through school. Maybe that wouldn't have been true in college where things get more theoretical. I know he never got his instrument rating in flight school and has made excuses not to do so ever since, even though it would make him more employable. Another thing I forgot to mention is he has mild symptoms of OCD, which is basically an anxiety disorder. So sometimes I wonder about the risk-taking side of him...

Another thing is, he's more cautious than he appears to be. He will not take risks with his passengers and takes responsibilities to them very seriously.
Anyway, just some more thoughts. I appreciate all the input.

Last edited: