Can anyone else do this? | INFJ Forum

Can anyone else do this?

VH

Variable Hybrid
Feb 12, 2009
MBTI
NFJedi
This is a cognitive function activity, as it involves perception and reason in real time, but I'm not sure what functions exactly are involved. I want to know if anyone else can do this, especially the INFJs.

- Lay on your back on your bed.
- Throw a ball or some other palm sized object upward without trying to make it land anywhere in particular.
- Do not look directly at the object, but instead stare directly at a spot on the ceiling without moving your eyes.
- Catch the object.

I noticed that I can catch the object without looking more than 95% of the time without looking regardless of where it comes down, so long as it is within reach.

This seems to be a combination of Se and Ni. Se is paying attention to the object while it is in the field of view, but Ni is predicting the path beyond that and allowing my hand to anticipate and intercept.

I have also noticed that when I try to consciously predict where the object is going to be, I frequently miss... at least half the time. I have to 'not think about it' and let the whole process be reflexive in order to have the high percentage of catches. I discovered this phenomenon while I was subconsciously tossing a ball and thinking about something else, staring off into space.

Are you able to consistently catch what you are tossing without looking or thinking about it?

So I did a little test: my score is 6 out of 30, hm.. No it seems I'm not very good at this :D

I found it very easy, but I wouldn't attribute much to my Se or Ni. It has more to do with the quality of your peripheral vision (along with depth perception, reflexes, etc.).

could it just be a result of your peripheral vision being more sensitive to movement?

could it just be a result of your peripheral vision being more sensitive to movement?

I remember hearing that males' eyes are more quickly attracted to movement. (While catching the ball was easy, I did catch my eyes glancing away from the ceiling a few times.) But then females have better peripheral vision, so it might even out.

ahh that's interesting

I am definitely unable to see it when I catch it.

I'm assuming that peripheral vision could be a factor, but the mind has to be involved in the process cognitively (perception, deduction, reaction), so some functions have to be in use. There might be a correlation between this test and type dominance. There might not. I think it's worth looking into. If nothing else, we can be responsible for people all over the world doing something silly.

Last edited:
When I get back to my room, I will try this. I would venture to guess that I will be terrible at this.

Your mind also has the information of how, what direction and with what force you threw the object to begin with and therefore is able to more accurately predict the path of the object.

I find I'm alot better at predicting the movements of someone else rather than an object. I can still catch the object but mostly because it's still within my vision. I also miss it a lot though. I find that I know where it is and where it is going but it is a question of if I can react to this information accurately and quickly enough which it seems I can't all the time.

Last edited:
That's the spirit! :pop2:

:m146:

By the way, as an ENTJ, your secondary and tertiary functions would be the same as mine - Ni and Se, respectively.

Edit: I have just tried this exercise standing up, and have almost the same results, despite looking straight up the whole time and catching the ball close to two feet below eye level.

Last edited:
This is a cognitive function activity, as it involves perception and reason in real time, but I'm not sure what functions exactly are involved. I want to know if anyone else can do this, especially the INFJs.

- Lay on your back on your bed.
- Throw a ball or some other palm sized object upward without trying to make it land anywhere in particular.
- Do not look directly at the object, but instead stare directly at a spot on the ceiling without moving your eyes.
- Catch the object.

I noticed that I can catch the object without looking more than 95% of the time without looking regardless of where it comes down, so long as it is within reach.

This seems to be a combination of Se and Ni. Se is paying attention to the object while it is in the field of view, but Ni is predicting the path beyond that and allowing my hand to anticipate and intercept.

I have also noticed that when I try to consciously predict where the object is going to be, I frequently miss... at least half the time. I have to 'not think about it' and let the whole process be reflexive in order to have the high percentage of catches. I discovered this phenomenon while I was subconsciously tossing a ball and thinking about something else, staring off into space.

Are you able to consistently catch what you are tossing without looking or thinking about it?

It must be the force.

I'm looking for a ball right now but I don't even have to try really because I know exactly what you're talking about.

I've done that on rare occasions and it has really amazed the people who saw it. Its weird, its like I can sense the objects but not in the way you normally sense things.

However, I don't think this is limited to type. I learned about a psych experiment with people who get blindsight having balls thrown at them and they can catch them almost always. Turns out you don't have to consciously catch the ball, its kind of like a reflex I think. The weird thing though is that it means your unconscious mind can control your body in ways you wouldn't expect it to be able to.

Some time ago I tried throwing and catching a ball while being blindsighted. The success rate were somewhere 3 out of 10. You get better when practicing it. I think I tried to hear the air movement and predict where the ball went.

I want to know if anyone else can do this, especially the INFJs.

What you want is those without strong Se/Ni to try, INFJs would simply provide confirmation bias if your theory is that combination.

As I'm severely lacking in Se and use Ne over Ni I can tell you I have no problem doing this, I constently throw things up in the air and catch without looking, things must be thrown dammit!

For me, even without trying to control it, I know where the object is going when it leaves my hands so I know where it will come down and do not need to use sight.

Okay, I get a seven out of ten ratio... But now here's a thought I noticed while I was doing it. If the object falls closer to my right side then I always catch it, even seemingly out of reach objects. However the left side is the culprit in missing the object. Usually just barely however because I always touch it, just don't catch it.

And honestly, when something falls out of my hand, about 7 to 10 I will catch it, although when I'm concentrating on catching something like a baseball... no usually I wont, unless it's close range. And now that I think about it, I wonder if it depends on what side of my body said ball is thrown............... hm...

I had a horrible time doing this. My eyes moved from the spot I was focusing on beyond my control. Although, not nesscerarly to where the ball (in my case, a deck of cards) just somewhere else on the cealing. They sort of just moved off the spot and I could not hold them still.

That being said, I got 5/10, but each time it hit my hand.

I catch it more out of instinct and reflex than when i try to.

This seems to be the theme with those of us who are catching it consistently.

Perhaps this supports the possibility that Ni and Ne are actually the same function, just applied a little differently... sort of like vision. Some people are more nearsighted, others are more farsighted.