Books: Fantasy Genre | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Books: Fantasy Genre

Do you read fantasy, have you thought of writing?

• Total voters
SoT? 11 books of fantasy at its best? More like three books of fantasy at its best!
:p
Just started Raymond Feist's Riftwar saga. So far so good.

MZB for the win.

All of raymonds is good. I like Jordan and Dragonlance best.

Pratchett is awesome too.

I love fantasy novels, they were pretty much the only fiction I read during my teens.

I'd say my favourites are:

The Discworld series - Terry Pratchett
The Farseer trilogy/The Tawny Man trilogy - Robin Hobb
The Dragonlance Chronicles - Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
The Lord of the Rings trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
Various books by David Gemmell, (especially "Waylander", Wolf in Shadow", "Legend" & "White Wolf").
The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan
The Prince of Nothing series - R. Scott Bakker

And yes, I come up with my own fantasy worlds, though not to the "fully realised worlds with genealogies and original languages and tons of back-story that the reader never even sees" extent of a LOTR or the Prince of Nothing books.

alcyone said:
SoT? 11 books of fantasy at its best? More like three books of fantasy at its best!
:p

This. The series started off great, but went rapidly downhill once the whole "war with the empire" thing got going.

Made up my first world in 5th grade, it was post nuclear winter... i was a weird kid

Riftwar was good, Wheel of Time ok, the best is George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. Love him, love him, love him. Do NOT love waiting an eternity for another book. I know you can't force genius, but if I knew what he needed to encourge creativity, I would steal it for him!
:mpoke:

Terry Goodkinds good.
I've read the naked empire i think by him.

I've already mentioned this in another thread, but I'm reading Terry Goodkind's "Wizard's First Rule". Quite brilliant character descriptions without overselling it. Love fantasy fic.

Last edited:
the best is George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. Love him, love him, love him. Do NOT love waiting an eternity for another book. I know you can't force genius, but if I knew what he needed to encourge creativity, I would steal it for him!
:mpoke:

::whine:: He is taking foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever. I've actually sort of given up on a Dance with Dragons. I don't think he going to finish up the series. Maybe he's bored with it or something. I'm looking forward to the upcoming HBO series though.

He killed off all the Starks. Apart from that Rainbow Knight, the courtier romantic one (who i think he killed too, can't remember), there aren't any who could possibly take control of the series.

He kills off the Starks? I hope it's not for a while then. >.< I'm only halfway through the first book. So far Tyrion is my favorite.

Not ALL of them. There are still a few left. But I shall not spoil it. And I heart Tyrion too. Peter Dinklage will be playing him apparently. Which rocks my socks.i think he's a pretty good actor.

Oh right. The two year old is still alive, and playing with the frogs in the swamp.

I'm pretty much despairing of ever reading Dance with Dragons.... Which sucks cause I want to KNOW what happens!

Harry Turtledove's Darkness series is good too.

Meh, apart from Arya and Jon I don't really care what happens to the Starks. So far I wish there was more magic in the series but the author seems to be a manly man who prefers steel, blood, and whores (all equally awesome but..). A good old fashion black magic curse or something would be welcome.

Last edited:
I find GRRM's writing to be so vivid, similar to Steven King... not that I'm comparing the two, please don't roast me alive!! While I wish some of them had survived, my three favorite Starks are still kickin' :D I do sooo very much love the idea of the Queen of Dragons laying waste to Westeros, so I guess that's why I'm still in it.

The Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert

I find GRRM's writing to be so vivid, similar to Steven King... not that I'm comparing the two, please don't roast me alive!! While I wish some of them had survived, my three favorite Starks are still kickin' :D I do sooo very much love the idea of the Queen of Dragons laying waste to Westeros, so I guess that's why I'm still in it.

Ok, I'm officially unsubscribing to this thread.

Spoiler alerts are awesome btw.

Arg, I'm really sorry! I totally missed that you are only half through the first book. I assumed anyone here after this,
He killed off all the Starks. Apart from that Rainbow Knight, the courtier romantic one (who i think he killed too, can't remember), there aren't any who could possibly take control of the series.
did not care if I made further mention of it.

Again, sorry!

Last edited:
I read fantasy all the time! My favorite fantasy books are The Name of the Wind (1st in the series, the other two books have not come out yet) and the Mistborn series (one of the best fantasy worlds I've ever seen!)
And yes, I have made my own world (two actually) complete with it's own culture, species, and history (yes I am a nerd lol)

I love reading fantasy. I loved Phillip Pullman's Golden Compass Series, even though they're meant for young adults. I also read a lot of sci-fi. Neal Stephenson is a favorite of mine, too.
It has been a long-time goal of mine to write political fantasy/sci-fi at some time in my life, maybe for young adults. Maybe when I have teenagers.

I am addicted to Phillip Pullman and His Dark Materials. I even got Lyra's Oxford and a special edition of His Golden Compass last year for Xmas. Is that fantasy? I always considered sort of a Gnostic fairytale, really. Which of course is right up my alley. I always liked Lyra.