*beyond theism | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

*beyond theism

I think you all have to consider this rationally.

Barnabas has a really strong point: You can call Spong religious and holy, but Spong's not discussing Christianity. I mean, seriously - all Christianity is, is a belief that Christ was the son of God and He died and then was resurrected for our sins. If you don't believe that, then you're not a Christian, it's as simple as that. It shouldn't make anyone upset to recognize this as a truth.

You can still be a loving, moral, gentle, kind individual and not be a Christian. But you can't be an evil, sinful, ignorant, beligerent individual who is a Christian. Anyone can claim any religion they want; but it's the following of that religion's foundation that makes you such a religious person. All religions have many things in common. Most would believe in the universal idea of love. But does this mean all Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Christians believe the same things? No, of course it doesn't. That's what makes them separate religions. I can't really call myself a Buddhist just because I believe in some of the things Buddhists believe, and I do believe in many things because what I believe is commonly universal to all.

No one's saying Spong isn't a kind, loving man. He probably is. But, although he can call himself whatever he wants, he's not a Christian if he doesn't follow all the teachings of Christ. No worries.

Reactions: IndigoSensor
Whether you think Jesus was the son of God or not, his message was both simple and profound.

I think about Jesus quite a bit. If I see him misrepresented, I am inclined to say so.

His Message was simple and profound, but it's funny that many people to have it confused.

Jesus message wasn't love one another it was

"Repent for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand"

See like you I think about Jesus a lot, and like you if I see people misinterpret him I feel inclined to let those people know.

Surely repentance was a part of the message, but Love was always at its heart.

12(Y) "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen.

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Repentance is turning away from one's lifestyle of breaking the law. However, love was always the most central precept of the law, from which the whole of the law was derived. It is impossible to repent except through the act of loving both Man and God. The love the Lord desires of us is Chesed, the act of the will reorienting itself towards the good of another. This devotional love a fundamental change of identity that cannot be undone, not some ephemeral emotional state. Chesed however ought to lead to Ahava, the manifestation of love through emotional response and acts of service and affection meant to please the beloved. The Lord's blessings in our life as his Ahava towards us, and our obedience our Ahava towards him. Demanding Ahava without Chesed is tantamount to rape, while offering Ahava for Ahava without Chesed is tantamount to prostitution. One is not remaining in Christ if he does good or restrains from evil for fear of punishment rather than for love.

Reactions: Inquisitive and acd
Surely repentance was a part of the message, but Love was always at its heart.

12(Y) "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

If anyone says,

Maybe love brings people to repentance?
Love is the most important. Without love, repentance doesn't happen.
You have to give people something that nurtures them in order to bring them to humility.
Love is what changes hearts, not orders.

I think there is a reason why Jesus started off doing miraculous acts of kindness-- healing people and feeding people them preaching to repent.

Last edited:
Man, lucky for me my religion is called among other things, eastern orthodox. Orthodox: we are right. What else is there to worry about? I got it down pat!

Nothing I think, at least nothing to the guy. He decided not to burn the books.

As for the girl, I'm not sure which one we're talking about.