[INFJ] - Best Books for INFjs? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Best Books for INFjs?

The Count Of Monte Cristo. :)

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

Not sure if its an INFJ thing but its basically all internal monologue and concerns about perception: Something Happened by Jospeh Heller.

I loved it.

I am a bibliophile, here me roar! The following list is not type-specific, but nonetheless valuable:

All of Dostoevsky's work (seriously)
War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
Siddhartha (Herman Hesse)
The Better Angels of Our Nature (Steven Pinker)
Tao Te Ching
Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Nietzsche)
Fauste (Goethe)
The Divine Comedy
Republic (Plato)
Rhetoric/On Poetics (Aristotle)
Hamlet (Shakespeare)
The Tempest (Shakespeare)
Anathem (Neal Stephenson)
{btw: Snow Crash is good, @rawr }
The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
The Trial (Kafka)
The Metamorphosis (Kafka)
I am That (Nisargadatta Maharaj)
Sorrow of War (Bao Ninh)
The Blank Slate (Steven Pinker)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
I am a Strange Loop (Douglas Hofstadter)

There are more, but I can't remember their titles atm.

War and Peace is the greatest novel of all time. The first time I read it was in seventh grade and it completely enthralled me.
I have read most of Leo Tolstoy's published works and I believe him to be the greatest writer ever. This is just my opinion of course.

War and Peace is the greatest novel of all time. The first time I read it was in seventh grade and it completely enthralled me.
I have read most of Leo Tolstoy's published works and I believe him to be the greatest writer ever. This is just my opinion of course.

I prefer either Dostoevsky or Victor Hugo, personally. Tolstoy definitely knew what he was doing, though, as did the rest of the great Russian authors from that time.

The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

+this and all the books by caroline myss, osho, alan watts, deepak chopra - all enlightenment books per se...will appeal to older infjs

The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo. It didn't appealed to me at first, but it's good.

+this and all the books by caroline myss, osho, alan watts, deepak chopra - all enlightenment books per se...will appeal to older infjs

I agree with your list, although I will admit I haven't read much by any of those authors besides deepak chopra, everyone else is just here and there. They also can appeal to younger infjs who are already very open minded and ready to be "enlightened"- I read the hero with a thousand faces at 17 and it really opened my eyes.

Not trying to criticize you, more attemtping to bring awareness to the fact that there are a few young infjs who these kinds of things appeal to

I agree with your list, although I will admit I haven't read much by any of those authors besides deepak chopra, everyone else is just here and there. They also can appeal to younger infjs who are already very open minded and ready to be "enlightened"- I read the hero with a thousand faces at 17 and it really opened my eyes.

Not trying to criticize you, more attemtping to bring awareness to the fact that there are a few young infjs who these kinds of things appeal to

Very rare from my experience but i do agree few. Most seems to reach towards such knowledge past the age of 25. But I am not surprised; in fact younger infjs should start early in their journey toward self actualization due the fact that younger infjs have the hardest time coming into their own in a society that only spews information; not wisdom.

Reactions: bodhireagan
The Alchemist - Paulo Coehlo. It didn't appealed to me at first, but it's good.

I tried to get into his writing style and it is quite difficult. he really speaks from another dimension but he knows what he is talking about. I think those who take up a complete spiritual journey and transformation will find a strong guidance from his books.

Very rare from my experience but i do agree few. Most seems to reach towards such knowledge past the age of 25. But I am not surprised; in fact younger infjs should start early in their journey toward self actualization due the fact that younger infjs have the hardest time coming into their own in a society that only spews information; not wisdom.

Yes - I completely agree with you. I know when I started that journey at 16 it changed my life and my outlooks for the better. I don't know where I would be today if I hadn't found the wisdom I did through conversation and reading the past 4 years (I am 20 now).
It wasn't until I was 19 that I really came to terms with who I was within the world. Before that I really didn't have a solid idea of how I fit in - I had found myself but I hadn't found a place for myself. I think introspection and wisdom seeking and experiencing one's own journey should start as soon as you are ready - for me it was 16 when I really had no where else to turn except inward. I have met a lot of people who are older and never really took that journey and I can tell that they realize it was a mistake.
I really dig what you have to say on this.

Yes - I completely agree with you. I know when I started that journey at 16 it changed my life and my outlooks for the better. I don't know where I would be today if I hadn't found the wisdom I did through conversation and reading the past 4 years (I am 20 now).
It wasn't until I was 19 that I really came to terms with who I was within the world. Before that I really didn't have a solid idea of how I fit in - I had found myself but I hadn't found a place for myself. I think introspection and wisdom seeking and experiencing one's own journey should start as soon as you are ready - for me it was 16 when I really had no where else to turn except inward. I have met a lot of people who are older and never really took that journey and I can tell that they realize it was a mistake.
I really dig what you have to say on this.

That"s remarkable and I hope you continue your journey forward as there is much to discover. You also exhibit many signs of being an indigo child. The next wave of conscious beings coming to earth; to help and heal and it has been evidenced in children and teens who exhibit wisdom and consciousness beyond their years. It also shows that your ability to look inward at that age is a gift - most likely initially centered on healing the self and learning about the self. Later on to be used to help and heal others if you choose.

Reactions: bodhireagan
Facing Codependence by Pia Melody. I personally think reading this book will benefit most people.

I can't think of any book I'd recommend to INFJs specifically, but to anyone. Maybe The Picture of Dorian Gray.

How I Got My Funk Back. A harrowing tale about a man who lost his funk...and then found it.

I also recommend the novelized version of Die Hard. It changed my life.

Reactions: grt$5vb
One book I enjoyed in high school was "The Great and Secret Show" by Clive Barker. I couldn't put it down. Other works by Clive Barker I would recommend is "Weaveworld" and "The Thief of Always". More recently has been the "VALIS" trilogy by Philip K. Dick. The first two parts were really good, and I am just starting the third part.

we should read books that dont appeal to us very much and figure out what it is of value that those books offer in order to open our minds and recognise that there are other perspectives out there and we arent always right.

Reactions: grt$5vb
I've only read (or listened to) a few books... And I am rather picky. So whatever you see on there, is pretty much among-st the best of its genres. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/3464317-audiobooks-rock?shelf=read

Most of these genres are mostly fiction such as Sci-fi, Fantasy and Thrillers.
I do however have some non-fictional books listed which are mostly about the experiences people had when serving in the militarily.

Now one might wonder, why ain't there no Paulo Coelho like stuff in there. The thing is, I actually do try to read books like that, but honestly, they are very slow reads and I simply never end up finishing them. For me its mostly the kind of stuff I bothered to list that is the real deal as these books have exposed me to new concepts, ideas and had me contemplate about things I had not thought of in that way before. They're also great inspiration for me ^^