[INFJ] - Best Books for INFjs? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] Best Books for INFjs?

I am a bibliophile, here me roar! The following list is not type-specific, but nonetheless valuable:

All of Dostoevsky's work (seriously)
War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
Siddhartha (Herman Hesse)
The Better Angels of Our Nature (Steven Pinker)
Tao Te Ching
Les Miserables (Victor Hugo)
Thus Spoke Zarathustra (Nietzsche)
Fauste (Goethe)
The Divine Comedy
Republic (Plato)
Rhetoric/On Poetics (Aristotle)
Hamlet (Shakespeare)
The Tempest (Shakespeare)
Anathem (Neal Stephenson)
{btw: Snow Crash is good, @rawr }
The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad)
The Trial (Kafka)
The Metamorphosis (Kafka)
I am That (Nisargadatta Maharaj)
Sorrow of War (Bao Ninh)
The Blank Slate (Steven Pinker)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey)
I am a Strange Loop (Douglas Hofstadter)

There are more, but I can't remember their titles atm.

Reactions: ThomasJ79
@yndsu one of my favorite books of all time.

I really liked it. As a male INFJ it is crazy how much i of a connection i felt with Holden. The little things that made him stand out from most of the guys.
They way his mind works. So many things. Loved it.

And that brings me to another book i think pretty much everyone here should read: The Perks Of Being A Wallflower. That is another book that really
spoke to my heart. And again one of the few books i've read that had a main character that i felt connected to on a deeper level.

Thanks for mentioning The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I read the book after reading your post and enjoyed it very much. I could relate to the main character's experiences on a very well.

Last edited:
"How to be Awesome" by Shaqie

Date: 17th of February 2035

Letters to a Young Poet
A Gift from the Sea
...also second all of Doestoevsky's works!
Everything is Illuminated
Incredibly Loud & Incredibly Close

Sarum by Edward Rutherfurd. It a historical fiction novel that follows multiple families throughout the course of English history.

Only Revolutions by Mark Z Danielewski if you can handle it. It is the most accurate love story I've ever read. But it is written in a form most would have a hard time with. I loved it, but I love the unusual. You must read eight pages of one of the two characters, then eight pages of the others account of the same happenings. It is written in somewhat poetic form. The words not necessarily real words, but there is a flow. It makes sense if you keep reading.

One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest is a great read for those with vivid imaginations *nods* and most other things written by that author -my friend tells me- and author David Wong -wrote John Dies at the End- same kind of imagination run rampid whirlwind. All very fun :)

HOL is mistyped as horror. It is not. I loaned it out. She said it took her over two hundred pages to get into it. I thought that was funny. It is also funny when people report it gave them nightmares. Please. But OR was better.

Currently reading Plato's Rebublic.

One book I recommend is by a Hungarian writer, Sandor Marai, Portraits of A Marriage.

I would definitely suggest "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a world that can't stop talking" by Susan Cain. Very relatable for all introverts and of course INFJs.

Dostoevsky... Crime And Punishment, The Idiot, Notes From The Underground, those are the ones i've read, but i would say anything from him it's good for INFJs.
Steppenwolf too, by Herman Hesse, same as Dostoevsky actually.
Nietzsche's work, Gay Science is a good start.
Fear And Tremble by Soren Kierkegaard
Anything from Rainer Maria Rilke, and i mean, anything, he's mainly known for his poetry but there's some prose out there too. Duino Elegies, is a favourite, also Letters To A Young Poet... Really inspiring.
Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
The Temple Of The Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima

Last edited:
Something that has to do with physical exercise. That SE MUST BE DEVELOPED!

Personal recommendations:
(In [Author: Book] format, trying to only list titles I haven't seen in this thread yet, but excuse any duplicates if they come up)

André Breton: Nadja
Søren Kierkegaard: Fear and Trembling
Søren Kierkegaard: Either/Or
David Foster Wallace: Infinite Jest
Philip K Dick: Ubik
Roland Topor: The Tenant
William Gaddis: J.R.
Martin Heidegger: Being and Time
André Gide: The Immoralist
Thomas Pynchon: V.
Thomas Pynchon: Gravity's Rainbow
Haruki Murakami: 1Q84
Katherine Dunn: Geek Love
Vítězslav Nezval: Edition 69
Paul Tillich: The Courage to Be

the inner mystery of the hidden spirits of mystic kittens of love by Aiyen Effjay