Ban social media | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Ban social media

Good thing you don't drive around Boston. We'd be cancelling private vehicles.
The middle finger is the morning salute to many. Don't get me started on horns.

I'm from the land of "kind but not nice", too. If you want nice and friendly the East Coast is not the place to be, but we're secretly kind.

2ef578edb087ded5d9eb433b440cce8e64a352e1cdce3ed5ca864bb005484f70_1.jpg

Yes, rules need to be made and adhered to. The US has a little problem called the first amendment that makes it hard to tell people not to express their feelings, or trollish nature. Still there are ways to protect.

It should be possible to regulate what happens on your own SM page to a greater degree, though, which doesn't violate free speech. Unfortunately, SM companies learned that agitated and unhappy people use social media more, so they try to show users posts they'll disagree with.

Good thing you don't drive around Boston. We'd be cancelling private vehicles.
The middle finger is the morning salute to many. Don't get me started on horns.

I'm sure decades back people were saying the television was the source of all evil.
It's not about the tool, but rather what you do with it.

Yes, rules need to be made and adhered to. The US has a little problem called the first amendment that makes it hard to tell people not to express their feelings, or trollish nature. Still there are ways to protect.

I'm glad you mentioned this about driving, MoonFlier. @lostinthisworld mentioned that people are rude to each other when separated by a barrier/fence - I do feel like this can be especially true when driving in rush hour traffic. When I have to do the crowded commute every day my one hope is that I don't get stuck between someone going a hundred behind me and someone going 50 in front of me and I can't get out of the way.... The tension I feel from the "soul-less machine" seemingly looking for something to be angry about is palpable. I've seen some vicious words online but at least I can just shut the screen off or listen to happy songs or something instead - seems like there's no escape like this when on the concrete river of death. :) I guess the only solution is to ban cars - ha jk

seems like there's no escape like this when on the concrete river of death. :) I guess the only solution is to ban cars

When AI makes it possible for all cars to be automated and driverless, there will be almost no traffic jams, and people will either spend all their commute time online, or maybe old school types will hang out the window regardless, hurling invectives and vitriol at the world going by.

Cheers,
Ian

I'm glad you mentioned this about driving, MoonFlier. @lostinthisworld mentioned that people are rude to each other when separated by a barrier/fence - I do feel like this can be especially true when driving in rush hour traffic. When I have to do the crowded commute every day my one hope is that I don't get stuck between someone going a hundred behind me and someone going 50 in front of me and I can't get out of the way.... The tension I feel from the "soul-less machine" seemingly looking for something to be angry about is palpable. I've seen some vicious words online but at least I can just shut the screen off or listen to happy songs or something instead - seems like there's no escape like this when on the concrete river of death. :) I guess the only solution is to ban cars - ha jk

LMAO

When AI makes it possible for all cars to be automated and driverless, there will be almost no traffic jams, and people will either spend all their commute time online, or maybe old school types will hang out the window regardless, hurling invectives and vitriol at the world going by.

Cheers,
Ian
I'm envisioning someone yelling at their car's AI that it should have taken Maple Street instead of Dillberry Avenue.

It sometimes feels like too much information. I don't always want to know what others are thinking because a colossal amount of self-esteem is required to deal with that shitstream. But regardless, it means idiots now have a platform to invade each others lives. It's difficult to ignore because it's so accessible and it messes with your life, especially if you struggle with mental health. I can no longer find solace in solitude.

Hyperreality distracts us, keeps us preoccupied with our fears and makes us inattentive to anything beyond what is immediately gratifying. The average attention span has almost certainly plummeted, so our social lives suffer in reality too.

Last edited:
If you are interested in social science or politics, it can be a useful windows to understand public opinion. We are in the middle of a tech revolution. Things always are unclear mid revolution. I also think we are in a political revolution of sorts. Given what most people want, and the power of personal communication, I feel there has to be something better on the way. Hierarchies are under fire because they are mostly corrupt. We just need some good leaders who are clever and moral. And more democracy.

If you are interested in social science or politics, it can be a useful windows to understand public opinion.

I doubt this. A very small percentage of the populace are active on social media in such a way that speaks to public opinion.

Believing this is part of the reason why so many were surprised when Donald Trump was elected president, or when Brexit came to pass.

Sometimes, social media is a million ivory towers.

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: Wyote
Reactions: aeon
I doubt this. A very small percentage of the populace are active on social media in such a way that speaks to public opinion.

Believing this is part of the reason why so many were surprised when Donald Trump was elected president, or when Brexit came to pass.

Sometimes, social media is a million ivory towers.

Cheers,
Ian
But Trump and Brexit surprised almost everyone, social media or otherwise.

If you consult multiple online sources I think it probably gives you more insight than just talking to friends, coworkers or watching media sources. I think you are assuming of you only use one source of social media, which will give a certain bias, or ivory tower as you say. Social media does allow anyone with a computer equal voice in most cases.

But Trump and Brexit surprised almost everyone, social media or otherwise.

Through a bet, I won $20 on Trump—a bet made before a single candidate had dropped out. People thought I was crazy.

On Brexit, I bet and won $500. :p

If you consult multiple online sources I think it probably gives you more insight than just talking to friends, coworkers or watching media sources.

That’s fair, but consider social media is a media source, by definition.

I think you are assuming of you only use one source of social media, which will give a certain bias, or ivory tower as you say.

Not at all, which I will speak to next.

Social media does allow anyone with a computer equal voice in most cases.

And therein lies the assumption of privilege. You need a device, and you need access. Given economics around the world, social media only gives you the opinion of the privileged public.

Also, having a device and access might allow people equal opportunity, but an equal voice? I don’t have reason to think that is possible, or will come to pass. Humans are involved, after all.

My reference to ivory towers is that when you present everyone the opportunity to speak, no one takes time to listen. They only wrap themselves in the comfort of their thought-righteous opinion.

Cheers,
Ian

Social media is the most Democratic media source ever. Anyone can comment on a YT video. Sure how many read it will vary a lot, but in comparison with a national news network it is far more Democratic.

I did say anyone with a computer has equal voice, which is true. Sure in many poorer countries and for many older people they don’t have that, but it’s still an important move forward. Don’t let perfection be the enemy of progress. I mostly only concern myself with western developed countries because we need to get them sorted first imo and stop the elites in those countries fucking up the less developed countries and then using them as examples of why the west doesn’t need to improve (when it absolutely does).

I feel like Jaron Lanier's ideas are pretty effective when it comes to this.

You don't need to ban social media you just need to convince enough people to delete/stop using social media to the point where it is no longer relevant.

Although I technically still have a facebook page, I have not used social media since late 2018. I do not miss it and I regularly and left out of conversations about the latest tik tok video or what so and so posted on instagram. I do not miss social media and feel very disconnected to those who regularly use it and usually we end up no longer being friends because of the way social media impacts their communication style and ideology.

No need to ban it. Stop usin' it voluntarily!

Social media is the most Democratic media source ever. Anyone can comment on a YT video. Sure how many read it will vary a lot, but in comparison with a national news network it is far more Democratic.

Fully agreed.

I did say anyone with a computer has equal voice, which is true. Sure in many poorer countries and for many older people they don’t have that, but it’s still an important move forward. Don’t let perfection be the enemy of progress. I mostly only concern myself with western developed countries because we need to get them sorted first imo and stop the elites in those countries fucking up the less developed countries and then using them as examples of why the west doesn’t need to improve (when it absolutely does).

When I made my comment, I thought of the United States, but didn’t consider age—only wealth, or better said, lack thereof.

I think the single greatest challenge to the status quo is not the democratisation of speaking one’s opinion, but the burgeoning success of a digital asset system they cannot control—although they will try, and blood will certainly be shed.

Cheers,
Ian

Fully agreed.

When I made my comment, I thought of the United States, but didn’t consider age—only wealth, or better said, lack thereof.

I think the single greatest challenge to the status quo is not the democratisation of speaking one’s opinion, but the burgeoning success of a digital asset system they cannot control—although they will try, and blood will certainly be shed.

Cheers,
Ian
I was thinking of the U.K. where it seems even the poor have computers or smartphones but that won’t always be the case of course. I know levels of inequality and poverty in US are even worse than U.K. bad situation, so lack of computer access or ownership etc will be a problem for many. But this has always been a problem. In the past, so many didn’t even have access to books. I know a major problem for those in poverty, particularly the working poor who are often key to keeping societies functioning is lack of time for anything other than work or chores. The following quote came to mind (not completely related but kind of)…

There is an all-out confrontation between the ironic and the literal mind: between every kind of commissar and inquisitor and beaurocrat and those who know that, whatever the role of social and political forces, ideas and books have to be formulated and written by individuals. CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS

The common assumption about social media (btw I don’t use Facebook, I’m thinking wider than that), is that it allows everyone to flourish and grow by using it. This is not how I see it being of benefit. Greater communication is a good thing compared to less communication, all other things being equal and seeing the bigger picture only. I have learnt a lot from books and internet (including social media like YT). People are not all dumb sponges, or loud empty vessels. No doubt sites like FB have negative impacts on many. I don’t like the social comparison aspect of it. It appeals to surface level aspects mainly, thus toxic for INFJ types. But don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.