Baby the stars shine bright... | Page 7 | INFJ Forum

Baby the stars shine bright...

Meh, its a comet.

Btw, why are we still naming projects after Icarus? Is this a poorly-written sci-fi we're living through?

LOL.

From what I recall though, I think it’s Hawaiian. Ah Hawaii... if only it wasn’t so darn expensive.

“From Hawaiian ’oumuamua, meaning 'scout' (from ’ou, meaning 'reach out for', and mua, reduplicated for emphasis, meaning 'first, in advance of') and reflects the way this object is like a scout or messenger sent from the distant past to reach out to humanity.”

Hahaha so not quite, close enough though! :grin:

LOL.

From what I recall though, I think it’s Hawaiian. Ah Hawaii... if only it wasn’t so darn expensive.

“From Hawaiian ’oumuamua, meaning 'scout' (from ’ou, meaning 'reach out for', and mua, reduplicated for emphasis, meaning 'first, in advance of') and reflects the way this object is like a scout or messenger sent from the distant past to reach out to humanity.”

Hahaha so not quite, close enough though! :grin:

including the Japanese-designed IKAROS project

This is what I was referring to, JD - you just know it's going to end in disaster :laughing:

Very interesting news! Actual evidence of an alien breakthrough?

I just read an article from the Daily News just now that the mysterious asteroid Oumuamua that hit our solar system of last year suddenly changed trajectory and increased in speed. No external force have caused this change of direction or speed.

Thoughts?

The article is found here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...uamua-giant-solar-sail-sent-civilization.html
They should have called it Rama - watch out for 2 more following.

I’ve read that light pressure can affect the motion of natural objects - the Yarkovsky effect. It’s strong enough to knock asteroids out of orbit, but it takes millions of years to do that unless there is an enormous sail like the article is speculating. Sounds like outgassing is the best guess, particularly if the change in trajectory only started up after closest approach to the sun.

Could be an egg of some giant space beastie of course - just as well it didn’t hatch.
giphy.gif

They should have called it Rama - watch out for 2 more following.

I’ve read that light pressure can affect the motion of natural objects - the Yarkovsky effect. It’s strong enough to knock asteroids out of orbit, but it takes millions of years to do that unless there is an enormous sail like the article is speculating. Sounds like outgassing is the best guess, particularly if the change in trajectory only started up after closest approach to the sun.

Could be an egg of some giant space beastie of course - just as well it didn’t hatch.
giphy.gif

Hahahah! Fantastic gif!

I actually do hope a movie is in order for Rendezvous for Rama. Such a great novel by Arthur. Perhaps either Spielberg, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, or perhaps M. Night can undertake that project. Would be nice and interesting.

Those are definitely plausible reasons John! I think the sudden trajectory due to the close proximity to the sun is the most reasonable. I believe there will be more following updates; so I am keeping a close look on this asteroid.

I just find it all so fascinating! In a way, I am hoping it’s something extraterrestrial; but unfortunately, my heart just says it’s most likely a natural cause more than anything.

Hahahah! Fantastic gif!

I actually do hope a movie is in order for Rendezvous for Rama. Such a great novel by Arthur. Perhaps either Spielberg, James Cameron, Christopher Nolan, or perhaps M. Night can undertake that project. Would be nice and interesting.

Those are definitely plausible reasons John! I think the sudden trajectory due to the close proximity to the sun is the most reasonable. I believe there will be more following updates; so I am keeping a close look on this asteroid.

I just find it all so fascinating! In a way, I am hoping it’s something extraterrestrial; but unfortunately, my heart just says it’s most likely a natural cause more than anything.
Rendevous with Rama is one of the best SF novels I’ve read. I reread it every so often - it’s so plausible and so eerie at the same time.

If the asteroid is artificial there will be more of them because there will be a lot of them about - the chances of an isolated example passing close to earth just as we develop the means of detecting it sounds much lower than a lottery win, so we’ll see more if we keep looking. My heart tells me that an alien built planetoid would be more obviously artificial though.

Astronomy is one of my passiobs

Reactions: Sandie33
I want to get at least a 6 inch telescope.

Reactions: John K
Get hyped! These InSight pics are gonna rock ur pants off.
800px-NASA-InSightLander-FirstImageFrom_Mars-20181126.png
Great achievement getting the lander down safely :sweatsmile:

Here's what it looks like from Venus - the image is based on what it would look like from a few thousand miles above the surface of Venus and is accurate for 9:00 am UK time today:laughing:

2018 11 27 Venus.jpg

I have a conflict in my schedule then. Please send my regards. :p
rofl

introvert saying "sorry guys, I can't come. I'm not in the mood [right now] to participate in [insert random future event]". xD xD

Announcement:
infjs forum community meetup on mars in 2025.
don't forget to rsvp to select chicken or meat.

WTH is the chicken made out of? Spinach? Because last I checked, chicken was meat. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Or in 2025, will lab-grown meat not be called meat? The chicken is lab grown? The other "mystery" meat is not?

:D, not at all, I have plans in 2025 here...booked straight through.
giphy.gif

omg this gif lololol

WTH is the chicken made out of? Spinach? Because last I checked, chicken was meat. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Or in 2025, will lab-grown meat not be called meat? The chicken is lab grown? The other "mystery" meat is not?

I must apologize.. I'm totally on your side.. but in mexico I learned otherwise! chicken is chicken, don't question or judge xD lol
Noted: I'll discuss the terminology of the cuisine with our marsian chefs! xD (though mystery meat sounds nice xD)

Last edited: