Authors you like? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Authors you like?

Pearl Buck is my favorite author.. I think because the first time I flippantly picked up The Good Earth to read at my desk job, it blew me away. Wasn't expecting that. I knew nothing about China or it's history or it's people.. and the culture of the time period in which the book is set was so very different, that I had to constantly reach in my own experience for a way to relate to the characters and it was.. beautiful.. So I found myself actively reading.. and any book that can get you to become an active reader is worthwhile... After I read that novel, I started to read all her other ones... and was not disappointed by any of them. In fact, a few even exceeded my expectations.. such as Dragon Seed and The Living Reed. I've read all of her novels now, and I'm kind of sad that I haven't any more to discover! She's also my favorite author because, after reading her novels I felt compelled to learn the history of the places she talked about. I found myself also reading classic Chinese literature just to understand references she made in her novels.

That said,
Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbury always make me laugh and think and inspire me to try to see the world as they would.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPQR
Stehpen King
George RR Martin
JRR Tolkien
Ursual LeGuin
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Jack L. Chalker
Raymound E. Feist
W.Shakespeare
Anne Rice
Robert Heinlein
Larry Niven
Isacc Asimov
Stephen Donaldson
Arthur C. Clarke
RA Salvatore
Piers Anthony
Anne McCaffrey
Orson Scott Card

Last edited:
In no particular order:

JRR Tolkien
John Irving
Dan Brown (hate his writing style but love the research and interesting things he writes about)
Jane Austin
Charlotte Bronte
Thomas Hardy
John Steinbeck
Dave Eggers
JK Rowling. I just love Harry Potter.
Lois Lowry

and a few others that I've only read one of their works.

C.S. Lewis
J.R.R Tolkien
Lewis Carrol
Douglas Adams
George Orwell
Aldous Huxley

It seems that Englishmen are much better writers than Americans, though I hate to admit it.

Last edited:
+1 for Lowry. The Giver was brilliant.

I read this book when I was about 11 or 12 and have never been able to forget it. It was incredible.