Australian INFJs | INFJ Forum

Australian INFJs

Nat

Feb 2, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Do you find the Australian macho culture inhospitable for INFJs? I tend to find the general population is resolutely anti-intellectual, not interested in deep thought or ideas and many can't hold up their end of the conversation. I feel like a freak here - if you're not an extrovert, you're not fun. Guys, in particular, have this mindset.
How do you find people to click with? How do you even recognise the type of people you'll click with?

Do you find the Australian macho culture inhospitable for INFJs? I tend to find the general population is resolutely anti-intellectual, not interested in deep thought or ideas and many can't hold up their end of the conversation. I feel like a freak here - if you're not an extrovert, you're not fun. Guys, in particular, have this mindset.
How do you find people to click with? How do you even recognise the type of people you'll click with?

I see the US alot like this, it might universal no matter where you are from, sadly.

If intellectual stimulation is what you're after I'd suggest you'll need to join a few social groups where that is the focus in order to build yourself up an arsenal of deep thinkers that you have common interests with. Different humanitarian causes will have a good supply of NFs if you're looking for other INFJs.

Personally I don't find the general population anti-intellectual per say but I do agree coming across people who are interested in deeper conversations can be rather tough.

As for finding people to click with, methinks that's the hard part, the person that I click with best and vice versa is an INFJ so maybe add some NT focused social groups to your schedule.

Do you find the Australian macho culture inhospitable for INFJs? I tend to find the general population is resolutely anti-intellectual, not interested in deep thought or ideas and many can't hold up their end of the conversation...

... if you're not an extrovert, you're not fun. Guys, in particular, have this mindset.

Completely agree. Of course the entire population is not like that, not even the majority is like that. That's just the attitude that has become dominant and glorified. If you don't go out every weekend with your friends and systematically poison your braincells, it's as if you're a terrorist to the Australian way of life.

I feel like a freak here

I'd be a freak anywhere I lived. :eyebrows:

I also think this would be difficult in any place. Introverts don't exactly put themselves out there. I don't know what you do or what stage of life you are at but I have found such people through different clubs and groups at my university. Courses at mine are mostly Humanities and Social Science based and I get along with other students pretty well for the most part.

You wouldnt believe but a lot of NFs and NTs buy into that idea as well to the point where some of them are hard to find because of the whole social masks.

I feel like a freak here too, aussie culture is very ESTP but like Lurker said, try and find an interest group. I'm starting my hsc mind and morality course tomorrow, nervous as internal bulls in a china shop but desperately hoping that I'll meet some accepting folks on my wavelength.

You wouldnt believe but a lot of NFs and NTs buy into that idea as well to the point where some of them are hard to find because of the whole social masks.

True, maybe we don't take the initiative to express ourselves in order to attract like minded people for fear of judgment, dissonance/unreciprocated effort and introverted energy drain only to carry a suppressed, heavy burden faded through an endless foggy transparency of skim-reading, stifling motions.