Are you a slow learner?!

Altruistic Muse

Community Member
Apr 6, 2009
MBTI
INFJ
Enneagram
4?
I'm academically above average, but when I have to learn something new, something for which there exists no previous experience that I can draw on, I am incredibly slow to take it in. I get information overload, and I cannot prioritise the important bits, or put things into order in my head. It all floats around in my mind, little atoms of knowledge which are scattered and make no sense in a big picture, or a process. It is extremely frustrating! My intj sister suffers from the same thing, so I am guessing it is related to Ni...sound familiar?

Yes.

I think I would have died in Anatomy, had I not learned to "cluster" everything I learned; that way, anything new can be added onto my existing chain of knowledge somewhere.

I know that when it came to math, I was on the slower side of learning it, but I retained it longer than my classmates once it finally clicks. I find this true for most of my "slower" classes, especially O chem. Most of what my professor said, went way over my head, and i had to spend time to arrange the information in a way that would make sense to me.

Hmm no, I don't think I am but it depends a lot on the subject. I'd say average(?) Some topics flow easier and fast. I hate memorizing, though. If I don't get the concept I don't bother to memorize it mindlessly and move on. I must admit that some details can be too interesting for me and I can spend a lot of time playing around with those. But I wouldn't call it a slow learning.

No, I'm a very fast learner, except for areas that are bogged down in detail with little room for abstract thinking.

I have to let my brain marinate on the new information. I definitely need to repeat the process or memorize the material if I want it to "stick". Some information, like math formulas, are never retained, no matter how well I understand it. The next day it'll be as if I never saw the problem. Giant blank.
For awhile I was under the impression that maybe I was an idiot, hahah! Makes no sense: Because I can't process math effectively, that must mean I am a moron.
The one method that works for me is to constantly repeat, to the point of looking OCD.
"Haven't you done that the past week?"
>.>
<.<

-Anna

I am a slow learner compared to peers in certain subjects.. whenever a new mathematical idea is taught in class, I need to revise it at home and do some extra exercises to fully get and retain it. In other subjects however, I seem to learn relatively fast and effortlessly. This is the case in subjects like art where I sometimes get what the task is all about and seem to just know how to do it ( intuition?). It's the same in languages. I can get a hold of abstract ideas ( if not of mathematical nature :p), yet I am kind of slow when I have to learn practical skills ( especially tose where you have to actually use your hands)..other people get it quickly, and it just takes me a while so that some people get annoyed. :m177:

Efficient Learning is likely related to interest...our interest say a lot about who we are, obviously if im not motivated to do something it naturally needs more effort to get done. I'd say in general, i try not to repeat mistakes.....but wen shit is so repetitive....it basicaalli eeerrr get borin....i geuss some skills jus insist on repetition to perfect...but i jus dont have the time cos im so busy....for most things*ahem*

I learn easier by reading the information AND applying it than merely allowing it to ruminate around in my mind. I would say I'm an active learner, I learn in action. I also prefer learning on my own than in school but I can do both. It depends on the subject. I enjoy anything mentally challenging, but overall, I'm pretty fast.

I sure as hell ain't brilliant; I still lack attention to detail.

Last edited:
I would say that my initial processing of new information is slower than the average. I believe that I would do badly on timed IQ tests for this reason. However after I have taken the time to fully deconstruct something I typically will pick it up very quickly from there, repetition is not necessary beyond that point.

You could be a slower learner but a more complete learner. Like Serenity said, retain things for longer than others might. One theory, and I'm pretty sure I read that from somewhere else on the forum. ;)

Last edited:
I used to think so, but it turns out that I am an average speed -learner.

It's all about how I learn it. I pretty much can't learn from books, and I'm slow to learn from lectures. If I can fiddle with something and figure out the rules, semantics, exceptions, etc, then I pick it up very quickly.

I'm like [MENTION=5920]Chess[/MENTION] a bit. I'm kinetic so I need to fiddle about with new stuff instead of just hearing about it or reading about it. I'm good if I can be left to figure it out or if someone can hang out and answer questions while I do. But I think my mind is all about learning new things--they're like new puzzles waiting to be explored (and I think it's connected a lot to the notion of finding patterns in things/uncovering the underlying meaning). I pick things up pretty quickly, but I like to be left to think about them for a long time. It's like intellectual masturbation (sorry for the crude analogy, but that's sort of what it is--I like to "get off" on new ideas).

Funnily enough, though, I have no memory for facts and figures. I can explain to you the importance of a million pieces of literature/movies, but there are only a few that I could give you serious details about. I think. (Well, at least compared to a large number of my fellow lit geeks.)

I'd say I'm a stubborn learner, which slows down the process.

With some things I can be EXTREMELY slow..
like with Math and Magic the Gathering.. ='(
The level of dedication to something that requires so much focus but has very little actual practicality is intimidating to me.

Last edited: