Are INFJ's really that rare? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Are INFJ's really that rare?

idk what that is, but it sounds legit.

don't put stock in a term because it sounds good.

Disclaimer: I am in no way qualified on the matter:

It's essentially the opposite of projection. Projection is putting thoughts, insecurities, etc. that originate from yourself onto others. E.g. - you're in a bad mood, and say to your friend "Why are you always so pissy?"

Identification is essentially the opposite. It's the desire and/or action to identify with a certain group, trait(s), or characteristic(s) in an attempt to feel validated, normal, to fit in, or what have you.

Basically, what I mean to say is this. *Some* INFJs seem to have the special snowflake syndrome - they think they're so special and different than everyone else. Yeah. Well so is everyone else. We're all human. I think it's a result of being in one's head and analyzing too much, one begins to feel alienated, aloof, and/or alone and as a result of that feels different, unique, or special. That goes on for some time, and begins to affect and mold personal identification, thought(s/ patterns), perceptions, etc. making them feel special and unique.

This is all conjecture though. I have no idea. I seriously doubt the 1% number that's thrown around and the sample size, statistics, and identification of types & personalities gathered at the time that number was thrown around is shoddy, or at least inconclusive at best.

If you want to read more on this an related topics:

Reactions: LucyJr
I'm just drawn to iNtuitives, especially infjs and enfps. I theorize that because I'm so drawn to these two types, I am more likely to have them in my life than somebody who isn't drawn to a specific type :p

For me you guys aren't too rare!

INFJs do tend to think of themselves as special snowflakes, even before they hear anything about MBTI

This is actualy pretty true. here is how Socionics puts it:

"He is adept at noticing people's characteristics, idiosyncrasies, abilities and potential, and is drawn towards capable individuals (sometimes for his own purposes). With respect to his own abilities and talents there is an internal, frequently secret, conviction that he exceeds others in his spiritual aristocratism, viewing himself as a member of an elite of humanity, but usually he does not openly demonstrate this perception."

I'm just drawn to iNtuitives, especially infjs and enfps. I theorize that because I'm so drawn to these two types, I am more likely to have them in my life than somebody who isn't drawn to a specific type :p

For me you guys aren't too rare!

Who are more rare in your opinion, INFJs or INTJs?

don't put stock in a term because it sounds good.

Disclaimer: I am in no way qualified on the matter:

It's essentially the opposite of projection. Projection is putting thoughts, insecurities, etc. that originate from yourself onto others. E.g. - you're in a bad mood, and say to your friend "Why are you always so pissy?"

Identification is essentially the opposite. It's the desire and/or action to identify with a certain group, trait(s), or characteristic(s) in an attempt to feel validated, normal, to fit in, or what have you.

Basically, what I mean to say is this. *Some* INFJs seem to have the special snowflake syndrome - they think they're so special and different than everyone else. Yeah. Well so is everyone else. We're all human. I think it's a result of being in one's head and analyzing too much, one begins to feel alienated, aloof, and/or alone and as a result of that feels different, unique, or special. That goes on for some time, and begins to affect and mold personal identification, thought(s/ patterns), perceptions, etc. making them feel special and unique.

This is all conjecture though. I have no idea. I seriously doubt the 1% number that's thrown around and the sample size, statistics, and identification of types & personalities gathered at the time that number was thrown around is shoddy, or at least inconclusive at best.

If you want to read more on this an related topics:

I think most of INFJs have this special snowflake syndrome long before they are rejected from a group or something like that...I know a INFJ who was grown up in a very reach family: norrmaly he was trained socialy and he has a high social status.
So you couldn't say in his case that his special snowflake syndrome is a coping mechanism, a subconscious thing.

I think the whole thing has indeed some links with INFJs broad mental capacity...For me, it was easy to believe I am "special" when I was small because I see all the adults and childrens around me being pretty dumb (from my poin of view, to a certain extend). I could understand things much more faster than adults, with greater understanding.
That hasn't changed at all...but something else has changed. Growing up, I understood that people have another kind of intelligence, not intuitive, which I lack seriously. So now I see things differently and much more objectively.

That's why many INFJs, when they are young, can be taken as a genius, and when they get to their 30's, they can be seen as naive, stucked up into a world of their own, unable to adapt to the real world and weak willed.

While I don't know any INTJ who have this special snowflake syndrome, I know one INTJ who is upset (really) toward humanity (I don't know if its all of it) that his mental capacities were not recognised and appreciated when he was young, and he also really believed nobody is as smart as he is.

The special snowflake syndrome is one of the main marks of the narcissism...
I think Winnie the Pooh is a classic INFJ "gone wrong" character.

Well identifying with infj and intj I know that before I knew anything about personality types I felt ummm "unique". That of course led to questions like "What is wrong with me" the occasional "Im clearly more intelligent than most people I have met if for no other reason than I ask questions" and "I dont seem to care much about what other people care about" that being shoes, actors lives ect...

While I like knowing I am not alone, I wonder if it is of benefit or a hindrance to be this way in society. I think, if I were to talk more and listen less such as an e might do, I would not know as much as I do. As it is, knowing that there are no bounds for the human imagination, assures boredom will never be an issue.

I think this is avaiable for INFJs who are 4 in Enneagram, The Individualist.

http://www.infj.com/IllusionOfRarity.htm
I didn't realize how many people I knew in person who were the same type as me for a long time, because I was looking for something "else" that would let me know how alike I was to other INFJs, some "sign" that would provide a flash of recognition, that would help me identify a kindred spirit.

That rarely happened. And here's the ironic thing: I recently figured out that my financial planner and my last realtor had INFJ preferences. They were under my nose all along! How come I didn't "know"?

It's not just me. I bet you could have 20 INFJs in a group, and they wouldn't realize they were all INFJs.... AND even if they did, they wouldn't feel they're much "like" the others. We feel different, even when we are surrounded by other people who are INFJs and similar to us in every way (age, race, education, income). We would find a way to feel different. Most INFJs perpetually live with this sensation of being isolated, feeling different from the pack. Even when we aren't isolated, we tend to FEEL isolated, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I have some thoughts about that -- about why this illusion of rarity haunts us. (Because I think this sense of "rarity" springs from something more elemental than unverified statistics.)

I suspect it's because we're so doggone complex, we feel nobody's like us. Because our inner worlds are so rich, we don't suppose anyone shares our experience. (And truthfully, they don't. How can they?) And being "like" others is usually about shared experience.

In turn, "shared experience" is usually about using extraverted processes -- which is not our primary thrust. It's not what we do best. I don't know about you, but I'm not much of a "reacher-outer." Just posting online sometimes is about all the socializing I can manifest. I like to feel "connected," but if I have to make a lot of effort to maintain a relationship, I'll just let it go.

On that note, if you look at INFJ online communities, they aren't all that social either. Unless there is some conflict or drama that calls INFJs out of their shell to advise, "fix," or use their talent for diplomacy, they may not have anything they feel like talking about. When INFJs *do* connect, it tends to be around shared causes. At least that way we're guaranteed of having something in common.

So the upshot is that INFJs may not be all that rare in reality, but can't shake off that sensation of uniqueness, even when surrounded with others of the identical pattern. And that's a logical outcome of having INFJ preferences.

ESTJs, ENTJs, INTJs, ISTJs and even ISTPs are some of the rarest type I've seen from my experience. Its really really hard to find a ESTJ, and when you find one, you hit a wall of steel.

ESTJs, ENTJs, INTJs, ISTJs and even ISTPs are some of the rarest type I've seen from my experience. Its really really hard to find a ESTJ, and when you find one, you hit a wall of steel.

How do you know the people you meet are a certain personality type? I suggest the people you know are of a certain type are the ones you are looking for online and are more likely to be online looking for answers. :)

How do you know the people you meet are a certain personality type? I suggest the people you know are of a certain type are the ones you are looking for online and are more likely to be online looking for answers. :)

Let's just say I have a good "eye" for identifying people. I can identify with 95% accuracy almost all people's psychological type I came in contact with. Like Socionics found INFJs to:
"adept at noticing people's characteristics, idiosyncrasies, abilities and potential, and is drawn towards capable individuals (sometimes for his own purposes)."

I know each type's idiosyncrasies and characteristics. If a person is a "of the book" ENTJ or ESTP (let's say), I instantly know they are that specific type as soon as I talk with them, or even saw them...types are very very predictable.
The only difference would be if the person is not "of the book"...then its a bit harder to know what type is it. But usualy people stay in their natural prefferences.

Let's just say I have a good "eye" for identifying people. I can identify with 95% accuracy almost all people's psychological type I came in contact with. Like Socionics found INFJs to:
"adept at noticing people's characteristics, idiosyncrasies, abilities and potential, and is drawn towards capable individuals (sometimes for his own purposes)."

I know each type's idiosyncrasies and characteristics. If a person is a "of the book" ENTJ or ESTP (let's say), I instantly know they are that specific type as soon as I talk with them, or even saw them...types are very very predictable.
The only difference would be if the person is not "of the book"...then its a bit harder to know what type is it. But usualy people stay in their natural prefferences.

How do you know your conclusions are correct? Do you identify them and then ask them to take an MBTI test? How many people have you identified that have then taken an MBTI test and reported the results back to you?

Reactions: Skarekrow

That’s just your overinflated INFJ sense of being smarter and more intuitive than everyone else (according to you anyhow).
Sorry…but I don’t buy into Socionics and here is why - it was developed to suppress certain groups by Communist Russia.
According to Socionics anyone who is introverted and creative is looked upon in a negative light…so, I know you can find all kinds of negative connotations about INFJs when digging through the Socionic archives…but I disagree.
I am not saying that INFJs are special snowflakes either…because we aren’t…we are all just the same when it comes down to it…we are all talented and hindered in certain arenas.
Perhaps you agree more with Socionics because you were raised with the Eastern European machismo that exists there? I know that both Socionics and Eastern Europe both tend to look down upon a man who is highly sensitive for example.
I don’t find it a fault within myself…it is a cultural stereotype.

How do you know your conclusions are correct? Do you identify them and then ask them to take an MBTI test?
No, of course I don't do that. It would be very weird.
I also think MBTI tests give wrong results because are very simplistic.

How many people have you identified that have then taken an MBTI test and reported the results back to you?
Many of them, but not all of them :D

Even if they wouldn't take the MBTI test, I "verify" my calculations in time, I look at how people act, and based on my knowledge of how types act, they most of the time act very predictable, as they are expected to act conform to their type. Sooner or later, I find out they actually are the type I was thinking at.

For example, when I first saw JF Kennedy in speeches, I recognised him as INFJ. The problem is, everybody (typologists) thought he is something else...I read about him, about his irrational shyness, his high intelligence, his naivety with regard to practical matters, his personable and charming manner (which is the mark of INFJ Fe subtype), his original humor, his silliness (he was 'accused' to be a eternal child, which many many INFJs can be said to be so) and his egotism or narcissism (which also many INFJs are a bit narcissistic). So yep...INFJ all the way. In fact, all four Kennedy brothers are INFJs.

No, of course I don't do that. It would be very weird.
I also think MBTI tests give wrong results because are very simplistic.

Many of them, but not all of them :D

Even if they wouldn't take the MBTI test, I "verify" my calculations in time, I look at how people act, and based on my knowledge of how types act, they most of the time act very predictable, as they are expected to act conform to their type. Sooner or later, I find out they actually are the type I was thinking at.

For example, when I first saw JF Kennedy in speeches, I recognised him as INFJ. The problem is, everybody (typologists) thought he is something else...I read about him, about his irrational shyness, his high intelligence, his naivety with regard to practical matters, his personable and charming manner (which is the mark of INFJ Fe subtype), his original humor, his silliness (he was 'accused' to be a eternal child, which many many INFJs can be said to be so) and his egotism or narcissism (which also many INFJs are a bit narcissistic). So yep...INFJ all the way. In fact, all four Kennedy brothers are INFJs.

So you are mostly using your own mind to determined that it is right in the way it is thinking concerning other peoples personalities. Well, I have to suppose then you are not often disappointed in being wrong.

That’s just your overinflated INFJ sense of being smarter and more intuitive than everyone else (according to you anyhow).
Sorry…but I don’t buy into Socionics and here is why - it was developed to suppress certain groups by Communist Russia.
According to Socionics anyone who is introverted and creative is looked upon in a negative light…so, I know you can find all kinds of negative connotations about INFJs when digging through the Socionic archives…but I disagree.
I am not saying that INFJs are special snowflakes either…because we aren’t…we are all just the same when it comes down to it…we are all talented and hindered in certain arenas.
Perhaps you agree more with Socionics because you were raised with the Eastern European machismo that exists there? I know that both Socionics and Eastern Europe both tend to look down upon a man who is highly sensitive for example.

I think your post here is silly. First of all, you are basically saying you think the Socionics system is faulty simply because it was built for a certain purpose. It doesn't guarantee that the content that was created is invalid, however; that's something you have yet to prove separate from it.

Secondly, you are a) suggesting that people in Eastern Europe look down upon highly sensitive men which implies that you think this view isn't also RAMPANT in most other societies, including modern North American society, and b) you are being presumptuous by bringing up the idea that LucyJr might have been inescapably, naively indoctrinated into this ~irrational evil eastern european machismo~ just from living in that part of the world, which by that virtue is framed as something that one would be unlikely to admit to even if it was the case. The way you come across in your post is ignorant and racist, in my opinion.

Btw @LucyJr , why do you think Winnie the Pooh is an INFJ?? LOL.

Reactions: LucyJr
Probably you are right.

That is true.

I think its correct that Socionics is biased toward more practicaly minded individuals, but it cetainly has many straight points about INFJs. I think the Socionics description of INFJs is much more correct than MBTI description. You can think whatever you want.

Perhaps you are right.
Just so you know, Socionics thinks Russia is being in her very essence INFJ-ish. Now Russia is the second most powerful country after US, if I'm correct. Do you really think Socionics does not know the real value of INFJ? Think again.

So you are mostly using your own mind to determined that it is right in the way it is thinking concerning other peoples personalities. Well, I have to suppose then you are not often disappointed in being wrong.

Yep, you are correct. Now I feel stupid I said that, because I knew the criticism would be this way.
Looks like I'm a crank...Jung was right.

Socionics IS Jung, people. If you think otherwise because of a few poorly translated differences in wording from an entirely different culture with a different style of attitude and discourse, you are just being A-S-S-H-U-R-T. Wake up and smell the ASS OINTMENT.

Before getting caught up over the details, actually attempt to understand the system as a whole and WHY it is the way it is. You'll then realize that Socionics is at least as close to Jung as MBTI is. I will agree that a lot of what Socionics is on the surface is hyperbole which can be disregarded, however.