Are all men pigs? Or are women secret swines as well? | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Are all men pigs? Or are women secret swines as well?

Well, I think you kind of have to take culture into account. There's nothing innately sexual about most of the things that we associate with sex, but in the context of our society and culture, they become so. It's not that we just percieve them that way, they actually are that way because of how we interact. I think it's very important to try improve culture and move forward, but we can't do that by pretending the present way of things doesn't exist. [/SIZE]
Actually, deciding to ignore present conventions is just how you change the culture. Personally, I refuse to feel bound to dress a certain way because my 'culture' dictates it is more appropriate. I don't want to be packaged.

The attitude of the people judging the way a woman dresses needs to change. It is our body, we'll wear what we want, and won't be made to feel ashamed for it because society at large isn't ready to move out of patriarchism.

Actually, deciding to ignore present conventions is just how you change the culture. Personally, I refuse to feel bound to dress a certain way because my 'culture' dictates it is more appropriate. I don't want to be packaged.

1. Actually, no individual can go about changing culture. Culture is a material thing. Culture changes as the world changes, as social structure changes, etc. If you ignore it, then you're going against the grain and might get some people to think about what's going on, but if everything else stays the same, it's simply not going to catch on. When there are changes in society, both deliberate and nondeliberate, to accompany changes in what individuals do, then it probably will catch on and create a real change in the way things work.

2. Do whatever you want. If I had the power to force everyone to do things a certain way, that would be a different story, but since I don't, trying to force the individuals I interact with wouldn't do me much good. I'm not prescribing morals here.

The attitude of the people judging the way a woman dresses needs to change. It is our body, we'll wear what we want, and won't be made to feel ashamed for it because society at large isn't ready to move out of patriarchism.

I judge the way everyone does everything. Nothing is beyond me critically looking at it. Individualist arguments certainly aren't going to convince me if I'm talking about more than one person, like I am with the way women's clothing is designed and presented.

And actually, it's not even just women who are affected by women's issues. I live in the same society and interact with women, and I'm forced to do so in a patriarchal environment. No one is isolated, and I think I have every right to critically look at all aspects of culture, even if it makes people feel uncomfortable and challenges how they're used to seeing things.

You're reading into this and making me out to say things that I'm not saying. I'm not the other people you've interacted with, or who have put you down, or judged you, or whatever. And I'm not someone who goes around judging or putting other women down. Even if I was, that would be a separate issue from what I'm saying.

1. Actually, no individual can go about changing culture. Culture is a material thing. Culture changes as the world changes, as social structure changes, etc. If you ignore it, then you're going against the grain and might get some people to think about what's going on, but if everything else stays the same, it's simply not going to catch on. When there are changes in society, both deliberate and nondeliberate, to accompany changes in what individuals do, then it probably will catch on and create a real change in the way things work. .
So is that supposed to mean that people who disagree are supposed to accept things just the way they are? Obviously it takes more than one person to change a culture. I thought that was implied when I posted it....

2. Do whatever you want. If I had the power to force everyone to do things a certain way, that would be a different story, but since I don't, trying to force the individuals I interact with wouldn't do me much good. I'm not prescribing morals here. .
This isn't about forcing anyone to do anything. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I'm talking about affording women the right to present themselves anyway they like (and if that means showing some skin, so be it) and then not shaming them into feeling cheap because society likes to leer at them.

And actually, it's not even just women who are affected by women's issues. I live in the same society and interact with women, and I'm forced to do so in a patriarchal environment. No one is isolated, and I think I have every right to critically look at all aspects of culture, even if it makes people feel uncomfortable and challenges how they're used to seeing things.
You're not challenging anything, though. If anything, you're only trying to maintain the establised order.

You're reading into this and making me out to say things that I'm not saying. I'm not the other people you've interacted with, or who have put you down, or judged you, or whatever. And I'm not someone who goes around judging or putting other women down. Even if I was, that would be a separate issue from what I'm saying.
No, you're not. However, maybe you have a difficult time talking with women about women's issues because you don't try to see it from the woman's perspective.

[SIZE=Default]So is that supposed to mean that people who disagree are supposed to accept things just the way they are? Obviously it takes more than one person to change a culture. I thought that was implied when I posted it....
[/SIZE]
I don't think a lifestyle approach has ever changed culture on a large level, even if a counter culture ends up being developed for a while and in small communities. We've had nude beaches for a long time but nudity is still understood sexually by the vast majority of people, for instance.

On the other hand, slavery continued until the contradiction between the fuedalist and industrialist areas of the United States, which resulted in new economic conditions for blacks. This in turn lead to the civil rights movement and to the development of black activists. There were always Blacks opposed to slavery, but Black activisism never caught until the conditions could support it. Likewise, there were always Whites who were opposed to slavery, but they never could convince the slave owners to all give up their slaves (lifestyle approach).

[SIZE=Default]This isn't about forcing anyone to do anything. I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I'm talking about affording women the right to present themselves anyway they like (and if that means showing some skin, so be it) and then not shaming them into feeling cheap because society likes to leer at them.
[/SIZE]
I believe I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure you understand how I am actually approaching this. You are not likely to hear me talking about anyone having the "right" to do anything, past political rights ("right to a lawyer" for instance) that can be granted or taken away depending on what the government wants. So it's not that I don't understand that you're talking about an individual right, it's just that I don't analyze things that way because of the reasons I've been saying.

At this point, I'm afraid we're just being contrary.

"Sometimes when people meet, we argue and we miss each other. We miss each other because, in the first place, we think we're having a contradiction when we're only being contrary. For example, I would say the wall is ten feet tall and you would say the wall is red, and we would argue all day thinking we're having a contradiction when actually we're being contrary. When people argue, when one offers a thesis and the other offers an antithesis, we say there's a contradiction, and we hope that if we argue long enough, provided that we agree on one first premise, that probably we hope that we can have some kind of synthesis. "
-Huey Newton (Edit: Actually, I read this in a book, "The Huey P Newton Reader," but it was published in this newspaper too)

I certainly don't object in principle to a person (not just a woman btw) being able to dress how they want.

[SIZE=Default]You're not challenging anything, though. If anything, you're only trying to maintain the establised order.[/SIZE]
Pretty far from that.

No, you're not. However, maybe you have a difficult time talking with women about women's issues because you don't try to see it from the woman's perspective.
I do try to be able to see it from a woman's perspective, which is a big part of why I talk to women about it in the first place, but I don't try to adopt the perspective of a mainstream woman in order to get a better reaction.

Women aren't the only people I upset, by the way. I'd like to hold hands with everyone and sing about tolerance, but god didn't make me a hippie, so I have to accept that people aren't going to like some of the things I think. A situation where I upset a group even more consistently than I do when talking with women about women's issues is when I talk about drug issues with drug users. They want me to say that they have the right to do whatever they want with their own body too, but I won't, and they get so defensive, even though I'm not telling them to change what they do in their personal lives. I don't want to upset them, but I'm not going to change or muddle my viewpoint to avoid upsetting them.

Last edited:
So knowingly allowing something is different from provoking? If somebody provokes another person, are they at all to blame or is it still the other person's fault for being provoked? And if they are to blame for provoking, isn't "allowing" it a form of provocation?

It seems to be an equal balance for both sides.
Yes it is. Provoking is actively targeting someone to solicit a response. Dressing a certain way may solicit a response but it's not active or targeted, its passive.

Think of it this way. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a bus for white people. She knew it would get her in trouble. You could even have called it a provocation. Does that mean she deserved to be arrested? Was it right to begin with that she was asked to stand up? Same principle.

Reactions: pogo_<3
I would rep you Eniko, but alas, I've already repped you too much..

The worthy can never be repped too much!

Reactions: Bored Now
Cheers to that Madam, and guilt trip ahoy in my heart. I'm going to go waste some reps now so I can come back and rep you for reals.

I think that things should be more even between the sexes...I think each should be treated with respect, regardless. Objectifying is a horrible thing, whether done to women or men. However, I also believe that that's up to the individual -- a person knows what they are getting themselves into, and thus a portion of it is in their hands. I don't think men mind as much because, quite frankly, normally they would enjoy the attention more -- women have more to worry about from unwanted sexual attractions. It'd be hard to change that aspect of things.

But one last comment: If I walked around the mall in a police uniform, I wouldn't get pissed if people thought I was a police officer. Likewise, if you wear a shirt where your boobs hang out and shorts that barely cover your ass, you can't get pissed when people think you're easy or want certain things looked at. Jest sayin'

A police officer's uniform is much different.. it's a designated position within society. It represents authority.

A woman's body shouldn't automatically represent sexual intercourse. It does, because women are confined by their sex. Who knows. Maybe someday we'll get to a point where we don't live in a society with such rigid sexual mores. A less confining place. That'd be nice.

Last edited:
A woman's body shouldn't automatically represent sexual intercourse. It does, because women are confined by their sex. Who knows. Maybe someday we'll get to a point where we don't live in a society with such rigid sexual mores. A less confining place. That'd be nice.

You know, I almost could have written that post myself, except that my "shoulds" are mostly about forward motion from where we're standing, rather than laying out a society that hasn't existed yet.

. I do "blame" women who consistently dress in a way they know will get a certain reaction from men, and then complain about men when they consistently get that reaction. To me. When the hell did I stalk you from my car while beeping my car horn? Yes, that's messed up, no, it's not all men, and you could take more steps to prevent it. Still I try to look at all of this as being more than an individual issue, and to accomdate the people around me.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] Just for my own clarification here, are you saying that a responsible woman needs to tailor her way of dressing her own body on the hypothetical reaction of strange men she doesn

Reactions: acd
Just for my own clarification here, are you saying that a responsible woman needs to tailor her way of dressing her own body on the hypothetical reaction of strange men she doesn’t know? Just in case one of those men might react or judge her with the little information he has. Because god forbid a man should know a person before making assumptions about them or their motives without any real information or insight.

Before I answer your question, did you read my other posts in this topic? If they're too long and boring I can go through what I wrote and quote myself, because I did try to clarify this and I don't know if I wasn't clear or if you missed it.

Lets cut the crap. We in some point or another think about sex whether it is male or female. Something that we should be proud about? probably not. Well... I take that back. If whoever created us gave us the tools to reproduce and a mind to think about reproducing a.k.a sex than we shouldn't be ashamed of such things. I'm not going to deny it I love sex, I love watching beautiful women go by and that doesn't mean I don't respect them it just means that I am a human being with a strong carnal weakness. It's not the medias fault that people are like that, it's our own impulses that don't know when to stop thinking and behaving a certain way.

Before I answer your question, did you read my other posts in this topic? If they're too long and boring I can go through what I wrote and quote myself, because I did try to clarify this and I don't know if I wasn't clear or if you missed it.

No, I read everything you said. I can eat at the big girl

It's a very slippery slope to say "if she's wearing that then she's asking to be ogled" because it's so easy to get to "if she's wearing that she's asking to be raped". Of course, almost all people who say the former don't like this argument so it usually doesn't get anywhere with them.

And then there are the people who say the latter. They make me wonder if we shouldn't have institutionalized genetic cleansing.
GRR, I hate that crap reasoning. I have a friend (20yo ESFP who is physically disabled and uses an electric wheelchair) that was raped a couple months ago and I was about ready to give some jerks black eyes because they said that she was "asking for it" for being a "flirty attention whore". :mad2:

No, I read everything you said. I can eat at the big girl’s table and use my own knife to cut my meat. Hee. (I'm joking ) But thanks, I know that offer was in the spirit of communication, so I appreciate it. * I’m* just the kind of person who likes to be clear on all the information presented before I engage in dialogue or form a response. I’m all about clarity, which is why I wanted to be sure that I comprehended you statement accurately. And I understand that YOU personally try to judge it on an individual basis. I got that and appreciate that. .

You actually seem very confused about what I'm trying to say, which is why I asked. Clarity is good, I agree.

[qoute]And I understand that YOU personally try to judge it on an individual basis.[/quote]

No, I try to judge it on social (group/system) basis. This means that I end up giving the appearance of being tolerant in my day to day to life, even though I'm not, because I'm NOT judging it on an individual basis. If I think anything, I think "here's someone who sees this differently than me," which doesn't lead me to having negative opinions of them personally, nor does it make me feel personally threatened.

But you also said that a woman shouldn’t complain about your less evolved brethren s’ behavior,

I don't think they should complain about men for the sake of what some of the louder ones or doing. Although frankly this is all heresay to me. I don't act this way towards women, my friends don't act this way towards women, and men don't act this way towards women when I'm with a woman. So there's all this stuff going on that I hear about and believe but never see. So from my perspective, most men aren't doing this, even if they're less noticeable than the ones who are.

behavior that you personally that you don’t agree with, because its within her power to change it by modifying HER conduct. Am I correct?

I think that if people know something will happen if they do something, but want to do it anyway, they need to take responsibility for what happens on a personal level. That doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. If it's important enough to the person, they SHOULD do it, bad results and all. I make decisions where I know will have a cost, but I accept the cost.

What *I* don’t understand why it’s her responsibility to placate the lazy crude fool who shouldn't behave in such a manner. Her mode of dress is not an invitation to anything and it affects no one but her. It’s pretty hard to evolve as a whole when people constant assuage the lowest common denominator. ::shrug:; Anywho, I have fun stuff to do, I'd like to think about this later. I hope this didn't come off snippy

If it was just one person, it wouldn't be her responsibility. If it happens again and again, then she should learn through induction that A implies B. That doesn't mean that I want a to imply b, but a does, in fact, imply b.

That same person could still make an argument that the fact that some men consistently act that way in that situation is a negative and restrictive thing for women, but that should have absolutely nothing to do with how she personally dresses, because how she personally dresses will not stop a from implying b. (Edit: It may be that her experience with how she personally dresses gives her an insight and starts her thinking this way, but the righthinking response is to move into a more system oriented/abstract outlook, and then to apply that system outlook in individual situations. In turn leading to a greater abstract understanding... This is an example of empirical knowledge leading to rational knowledge, and then back to empirical knowledge.)

Last edited:
Best way to get your point across in a discussion is to announce that when your point is argued against, the other person must be confused, eh?

Best way to get your point across in a discussion is to announce that when your point is argued against, the other person must be confused, eh?

When someone thinks my argument is something other than I think it is, then they are confused, although I may be the one who confused them.