Aphantasy | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Aphantasy

How about manipulating what you are imagining? Can you guys view the star in 3D and make it rotate? Add a special texture to it? See it as very big or very small?

Yep. ^-^

- I fall asleep very quickly, usually within 3-5 minutes. It's easier to do when everything is just black and empty lol. My gf is a strong visual type and needs around 40 minutes to fall asleep.

I'm exactly like your girlfriend, and my dad is exactly like you. We live in totally different worlds, it's almost like he has a button he can push to go asleep. If I want a similar result, I have to lower all stimulation an hour or so before going to sleep, then read until my eyelids are heavy, then finally close the lights and go to sleep within a few minutes. If I don't do that, I'll turn around for nearly an hour, and movies will be playing in my mind.

I discussed aphantasia with my dad before, and he can still picture things in his mind, but I suspect it's not a very intrusive mode of thought for him.

- I fall asleep very quickly, usually within 3-5 minutes. It's easier to do when everything is just black and empty lol.
Woah.

I remember being a young child and never being able to fall asleep quickly cause I couldn't stop playing the movie in my head. I asked my dad what to do about that, and he said, what do you mean, just close your eyes and it's black and then you sleep.
That obviously didn't work.

https://aphantasia.com/vviq/
A test/quiz we had posted too, just to see where you fit on the scale.
(It does require an email at the end, if you're interested)

When I was a kid I realized that the way I saw things in my head was very different from other people.
I can completely see every home I've ever been in with high visual acuity.
And same goes for mostly anywhere I've frequented in my lifetime.
Which allows me to re-contextualize and imagine/see new scenarios in my head easily.

I got hyperphantasic.

Ehhhhhh welcome to the cool club. @Wyote also got the same

When I was a kid I realized that the way I saw things in my head was very different from other people.
Which allows me to re-contextualize and imagine/see new scenarios in my head easily.
Yeah the same was with me - I think in retrospect, it was this which particularly made me fall in love with reading fantasy, because I had little issue in recreating the world and scenarios. All we need to do now Wyote is find out how to become subconscious thieves like in Inception, and we can control the world :looninati:

Although I've never had a problem with sleeping, like others here talk of. I'm much like @philostam and just fall asleep in around five minutes
I'm curious as to whether @mintoots is also hyperphantasic due to her being an architect.

All we need to do now Wyote is find out how to become subconscious thieves like in Inception, and we can control the world :looninati:

Who says I haven't already :thonking::looninati:
giphy.gif

Wow, that's more than hyperphantasia, sounds like photographic memory as well.
There is Stephen Wiltshire, a man known for being able to draw landscapes in high detail after seeing them only once, like he did after an helicopter ride over New York City.

nrlItJX.jpg

Is that something you relate to? For example, can you still see what specific objects were on the table in those homes you've been to?

I'm curious as to whether @mintoots is also hyperphantasic due to her being an architect.

Yeah, one wonders how someone with aphantasia would even begin to design a structure. I guess they'd need one of those 3D design software to see if the sizes and dimensions they come up with make sense, or just experience working with the same kinds of sizes.

Is that something you relate to? For example, can you still see what specific objects were on the table in those homes you've been to?

Yes but I have zero artistic ability lol. I can draw up floor plans pretty easily and write in the objects though.
Nothing like that guy, not near the level of detail, but to some lesser extent.

Probably 2 or 3 for me. Okay, fine, 2.

I do occasionally get mental images that are quite vivid but I couldn't will the image of a red star to appear. I could get the colour red, and I could get the vaguest outline of a star but the red star eludes me.

At least I know I'm not a communist.

Wow, that's more than hyperphantasia, sounds like photographic memory as well.
There is Stephen Wiltshire, a man known for being able to draw landscapes in high detail after seeing them only once, like he did after an helicopter ride over New York City.

nrlItJX.jpg

Yeah, one wonders how someone with aphantasia would even begin to design a structure. I guess they'd need one of those 3D design software to see if the sizes and dimensions they come up with make sense, or just experience working with the same kinds of sizes.
I heard about this guy. Truly impressive.

My results:
Screenshot_20201129-074547.png

LOL. When I design, I do need to be in the space. I also prefer walking through it so I can foresee it so if you find me staring at a wall blankly, I am probably designing.

"Close your eyes and imagine a red star"
*imagines Betelgeuse*
1990_betelgeuse-orion.jpg
betelgeuse_block_960.jpg
"Choose the number that best represents what you saw..."
Well, I didn't see any sharp angles, stars are pretty far away and the shapes look kind of fuzzy because of it, so I guess on average the shapes are smoothing out to nothingness rather than these pentagons. So the answer must be 1.
*starts wondering about the nature of perception and nothingness*

Xx5xzEA.png

Hello INFJs,

Are there cases of aphantasia on the forum?
The image says it all. What is your score?
I can't answer this question easily, because I'm not quite sure what it means. What I can't do is to project a red, five pointed star onto the cinema screen of my mind at will, and see it almost as though I were looking at a picture. If I try to do that, I get 1 or 2 at best - except that occasionally I may get a huge 3-dimensional star bursting with light and energy that looks nothing like this image.

My discretionary visual imagination is not like that at all. It's more like the way I see insights with my intuition - which grasps it vividly, but not visually. With my eyes closed, I can feel the star drawing as an archetype with it's pointiness like rose thorns, its redness like a lavender flavoured sweet, its shininess like a Christmas carol, it's prosaicness as a gross simplification. This decomposition isn't accurate though, because these are all blended into a single impression, not discrete awarenesses. I can't see this image, either as it stands, or in my minds eye, without immediately falling into all the associations that come with it: all my childhood Christamases blessed with home-made star garlands .... the inverted devil's star .... the black void of outer space (and inner space) .... the incredible beauty of the parametric equations that can define its shape .... the head, the face the arms .... the stable .....