Anyone ever had success with reversing the label of "Anti-social" or "Weirdo" ? | INFJ Forum

Anyone ever had success with reversing the label of "Anti-social" or "Weirdo" ?

Discussion in 'Relationships and Sociology' started by poeticinfp, Apr 7, 2009.

Share This Page

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
More threads by poeticinfp
  1. poeticinfp

poeticinfp Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Yes, I know that being misunderstood comes with the territory of being an INFX type, but...every now and then it starts to get to me. I guess I can't escape the fact that IF PEOPLE ONLY GAVE ME A CHANCE, they'll be pleasantly surprised.

My attempts have largely been unsuccessful in quite a peculiar way. I would try to reach out to people in a way that they are comfortable with. That is, I would smile, start doing small talk, or joking banter, but they always respond to me in such an overly *FORMAL*, overly serious, overly polite way that my attempts at small talk never work.

So has anyone ever been successful with reversing these labels given by co-workers, classmates, roommates, family members etc. ? What did you do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Faye

Faye ^_^
    Staff Member Administrator

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    4w5
    You can't run from yourself. However, hanging out with other "weird" people and social drinking can help. Weird is relative. Otherwise, you just have to open up.

3. OP
    poeticinfp

poeticinfp Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Like I said in my original post, when I try to open up, their response is so formal, and they take me too seriously. I'm asking about reversing the label, which means that these are people I already know, not strangers.

It's actually much easier to let my quirky funny side out around strangers, but when I attempt it with people who've already given me the label like family members, or co-workers they're just too formal with me, and take me too seriously.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. the

the Si master race.
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ISTJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    You should just accept that you are weird. Just be like you are, eventually you will change/ grow like all people do and you will have a whole new list of problems/positive aspects.

5. sumone

sumone down the rabbit hole

Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    One thing I've done is to try and be more aware of what I might be projecting via facial expressions, body language etc. Even if I'm way out there in my mind when someone walks in on me they'll see a pleasant face. It's cut down on people being confused. Before I practiced 'looking normal' people would walk in on me and their first words would be, "What's wrong?!" or "Oh man someone's got the weight of the world ..... "
    Now I don't hear those comments at all.
    Just being introverted makes us weirdos in the eyes of co-workers because they just can't comprehend it as being normal.
    I don't think we can escape the weirdo label completely but we can do things to make it less obvious! hehe

6. NaeturVindur

NaeturVindur Cuddlemaster
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    iNfj
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    I just embrace the label, and have fun with it. There are next to no restrictions on how you act if you're already weird. Also, having friends with the same label helps a lot. You learn that what other people think really doesn't matter, and to just be yourself.

7. ceri

Donor

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    6w5 / 5w6
    I've had success with that. I used to be almost completely shy but over the years, i've managed to develop a "normal side". I think most people who know me, know that I have "two aspects" (introverted and "normal") and just accept whatever way/mood i've decided to be in. :m027: So basically, i can hang out with the majority of people when i want :)

I might be successful because i'm in Australia, but oh well.

8. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    You could focus on your secondary function and become an ENFx type. ENFPs and ENFJs are quite social and charismatic.

9. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    This is taken from another of my posts. I think this is why other people sense that we are different

Also, it helps to have an outcome that you are working towards. most people are working towards an outcome when they speak (they're usually not consciously aware of it though), and they're brain automatically chooses words for them that helps them move towards their outcome. If your outcome is to just speak, then that is all you will do, and it won't be interesting.

Notice the times you speak when you just say a single sentence, then have nothing else to say. Thats because your outcome was to say something. You achieved your outcome so your brain congratulated itself and went to sleep.

10. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    The fact of the matter is that you generally have to form your own clique. People are not comfortable with talking with those who are outside their typical group and established cliques are generally resistant to letting new people become involved with them, especially when the new people are introverts. Find a club or activity that is open to anyone, join, and make some friends. Hang out with them outside the club, organize some gatherings, and before you know it you will have your very own clique. It also helps a great deal to keep an eye out for the people who are in the same boat as you and to approach them. Some of my best groups have been formed from the outcasts and rejects of other groups.

#10 Satya, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  11. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    I don't think this is the answer. we need to learn to communicate with other types. Not hide away among those few who are similar to us.

12. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    I was referring mostly to making friends. You can't be friends with everyone. Communication is a different matter, and sometimes formal is all you are going to get from a person.

13. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    It is, of course a good way of meeting people. But the majority of the people you would meet by doing this would not be on our wavelength. to make new people into new friends you have to be able to get on many different wavelengths. You can't pick and choose people from different situations and make a new group, or rather, it would be very difficult. it makes more sense to address the problem head on.

14. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    What problem? It's a fact of life that people are going to be formal to one another until they are comfortable enough to be otherwise and people will form presumptions about people until they have had enough time with them to know otherwise. You can't expect a person to be able to form informal relationships with everyone.

15. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    Poeticinfp's question was regarding changing how people he/she already knows behaves towards him/her. What you describe is the opposite of this. You suggest searching new places for new people until you finally manage to get a group of people who understand us.

Edit:
    The problem of us having trouble relating to people, new and old

#15 Poetic Justice, Apr 7, 2009
  16. OP
    poeticinfp

poeticinfp Newbie

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Poetic Justice, I'm a he, by the way.

Your last post indicates that you understand the particular nature of the problem I'm trying to overcome (reversing the label with people who you already know), but I just don't see how any of your advice applies to it.

Can you elaborate please?

17. Flavus Aquila

Flavus Aquila Finding My Place in the Sun
    Banned

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTJ - A
    Enneagram:
    SeraphimKiss: Just don't over-do it. If you move out of what PJ calls 'downtime' too much, you will end up paying for it days/weeks later.

Satya has a point - we don't like hanging out with people like ourselves for the same reason other groups don't like hanging out with us. I think it is better to find someone in a situation similar to our own and then 'give them a chance' and take time to get to know them.

That said, I have seldom met other people like myself. The only INFJ's I have ever met in person, to my knowledge, are my parents.

#17 Flavus Aquila, Apr 7, 2009
  18. arbygil

arbygil Passing through

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFJ
    Enneagram:
    9w1
    (As I attempt to answer the question):

I've often had the label - and it doesn't get easier as I've aged. My S-friends have often employed the sigh, giggle, and shake your head model when talking to me. Or the hated phrase, "Where are you?" when I'm standing next to them (meaning, where am I mentally).

But you know what? It's okay. I know I'm different and it's not a big deal. It was with my last job, though, and it all but broke me. I've never worked in an environment where the majority of my co-workers were ESxJ folks. Thank God for my immediate co-worker/co-supervisor who was an ENFP. Still difficult to communicate with him, but it was better than nothing.

19. Poetic Justice

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INTP
    Enneagram:
    Other people sense that we are different. They don't know what it is, but they know it's something. The difference is that we are paying too much attention to our internal worlds. They are surprised when you speak, because up until you speaking it almost felt as though you weren't really there. Because you were stuck in your head.

following my advice will give you more to say, and it will also make what you say more palatable to most people.

And flavus is right in that it will probably be quite tiring to start with. But you will get used to it and eventually have more energy. I do this myself by the way. it does work.

20. Satya

Satya C'est la vie
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    MBTI:
    INXP
    That is my point. You can't control how other people think, you can only control how you behave.

Frankly, if you are going to want people to understand you better, you have to put in the time and effort to get to know them better. That is the only way to move communication from the formal to the informal. That means forming a relationship with them, and that can be difficult with people who you have known for awhile and with who you already have an established pattern of behavior. It's usually easier to just establish new relationships. However, if you are determined to get others who already know you to get to know the real you, then you need to show genuine interest in them and spend a little time each day getting to know them until they begin to open up to you and realize who you really are. For an INFP, that is going to require a massive investment of energy because it requires them to be outgoing.

I'm simply speaking realistically here.