[INFJ] - any infjs here with hsp(highly sensitive person)? | Page 4 | INFJ Forum

[INFJ] any infjs here with hsp(highly sensitive person)?

Can I watch at least?
Lol

Guess I'll have to close my eyes and use my imagination... again.

Anyway...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Infjente and Ren
As long as it's some variation of 'baby', you're cool with it, right babe? :smirk:

:mf: :m164:

I see that Renette made quite an impression on you!

:openmouth:

I think this means you're married, @Ren, from what I remember of playground law.

You hear, @Infjente? You are now my spouse.

This is pretty exciting :m153:

I claim prima nocta

Can I watch at least?

*elopes with infjente before prima nocta*

any infjs here with hsp(highly sensitive person) and explain what you suffer with most from this thanks?
oh, Hi. I'm an HSP and only recently I gave a name to this thing. My life has been filled with the emotions of others and I often didn't understand why I felt this way. During adolescence, when I was in front of so many people I was often attracted to a particular person. I didn't know why but every time it happened I felt emptiness, as if something was broken in that person. Only lately I'm "learning" to isolate myself from others trying to live my emotions and not theirs. I'm highly sensitive, someone said it's a superpower, I said that's our destruction if you do not know how to control it.

oh, Hi. I'm an HSP and only recently I gave a name to this thing. My life has been filled with the emotions of others and I often didn't understand why I felt this way. During adolescence, when I was in front of so many people I was often attracted to a particular person. I didn't know why but every time it happened I felt emptiness, as if something was broken in that person. Only lately I'm "learning" to isolate myself from others trying to live my emotions and not theirs. I'm highly sensitive, someone said it's a superpower, I said that's our destruction if you do not know how to control it.

learning is key

Been always sensitive, both physically and emotionally. I couldn’t certain kind of clothes since I itch easily. When I was a kid I couldn’t eat tomatoes since the taste was overwhelming.

It has taken many years of hardening and exhaustion before I finally got my own pair of leather gloves. Now I can take distance of that which is not mine and observe my own mind and intuition. People call me as a person reader and I guess I am good at reading people. Met one lady few weeks ago and after 15 minutes I told her how I perceived her. She came back to talk to me after about an hour and told me that what I just had said was her whole life story and something she almost never tells to anyone.

Being highly sensitive doesn’t mean that you are weaker than others. It means that you experience sensations more vividly and that you are aware of more data than those who are not as sensitive as you. When you learn to create some boundaries for yourself, that sensitivity of yours becomes almost like a super power. Your creativity is enhanced and you will notice even the most subtle things in your surroundings, within yourself and in other fellow beings. But it is not always appreciated to be able to see behind others’ masks. Some might freak out. But some will warmly welcome you for there are those who have been searching for someone who sees and hears them as they truly are.

Best luck!

Oops. Sorry guys for not getting back to this sooner.
Warning: Information overload.

Do you have the references to this? Kind of interested in the ratio.
I do.
http://www.hsperson.com/pdf/JPSP_Aron_and_Aron_97_Sensitivity_vs_I_and_N.pdf
This article touches upon personality traits (introversion, extraversion, openness to experience and neuroticism) and the underlying biology.

https://hsperson.com/introversion-extroversion-and-the-highly-sensitive-person/
This article touches upon introversion, extraversion and even the MBTI.
The same information can be found in the Highly Sensitive Person book. I would give you the page, but a friend borrowed my copy. :sweat:

Hmm, so would the 'extroverts' actually enjoy being overstimulated in this case? Seems contradictory to me, but I suppose we're getting definitions confused at this point.
https://hsperson.com/the-highly-sensitive-person-who-is-also-a-high-sensation-seeker/
You're close. The extraverts need more stimulation, but don't enjoy being overstimulated. The HPS extraverts are called 'High Sensation Seeker'. The article equates it to a car-model, with a gas pedal and a break. HSP introverts have a low gas pedal and a high break. HSP extraverts have a high gas pedal and a high break.
(I would assume then that 'normal' extraverts simply have a high gas pedal and a low break, and 'normal' introverts a low gas pedal and a low break? The article doesn't say that, but logic dictates it.)

Also, according to the article I linked above, you're not getting your definitions confused at all.

I don't get HSP. It doesn't make sense to say that half the population is highly sensitive (or even 20 percent), unless the other half is highly insensitive.
Deleted member 16771 already pulled out the normal distribution. That is interesting because I remember reading that the cut-off for HSP was set at 15-20%. (That's not unusual. If a trait is normally distributed, in order to make it categorical, you have to set a cut-off value.) Again, I don't have the copy of my book so I can't pull it up, but it's in there.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41...MJDj7TBxW42dDpcN8ew0_ttbCXO_-tZ8I2XLQr_4H4Q==
This article goes into the distribution of trait sensitivity (low, medium, high) across the population.

https://scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-co...oc-Psychol-Rev-2012-Aron-1088868311434213.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/public...sitivity_and_the_5-HTTLPR_ShortShort_Genotype
These articles go into the evolutionary biology and genetics regarding trait sensitivity.

The person part makes me cringe. Any condition should be considered something a person has not something a person is.
You're right. HSP is the popularized name for the condition. The official scientific term is sensory processing sensitivity.

~~
In looking for references I stumbled across this article that looks at how Jung conceived of HSP that may be of interest to some people here. :wink:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/files/attachments/36190/japaronjune04sensitiveness.pdf

Yes. HSP. Empath.

When I was younger I was constantly overwhelmed and anxious. Now I understand myself better.

Once I spend time alone daily, I'm okay. Activities such as meditation, journaling, walking in nature help a lot.

You found me! Lol. I have EXTREME HSP. Like if you look up qigong and Shaolin monks conrtolling qi to do extraordinary things, I know that naturally and have been able to do that and more for as long as I can remember. I can read minds and mind control. I have lightly tested mind control, though it's FAR beyond my morality to even fathom trying to fully do this to anyone but the most scum of the Earth. I usually use it lightly to prevent people from hurting themselves/others/getting angry when it would cause harm or when it's unwarranted. I've mastered what I dubbed Soul Traveling, which is basically willful Astral Projection while awake. about a decade ago, when I was 11, I could only use it when my body was still, but I've been able to make it so I can act normally in my body while doing so, and seamlessly at that,which is exciting :) I don't wanna sound like I'm bragging or anything pretentious like that, I'm just happy to be able to share this.
Cool! You can actually do cultivation techniques?

Cool! You can actually do cultivation techniques?
What do you mean by cultivation techniques? I'm only getting agriculture advice looking that up on Google. Also, I want to clear things up. I haven't been able to "Soul Travel" since soon after I typed this. Totally lost that ability as far as I know. And to clarify, my mind "control" is more like mind influencing. I can't puppet someone nor would I if I could, but I can influence people using a similar technique. I usually do this solely when people need help and I'm not getting through to them. The qigong stuff is just that. It's weird to me how I can just up and do it, but it is what it is. Also, any "abilities" I do have are heavily dependent on my mood. If I'm depressed, which I have been for quite some time now, they're very weak. If I'm not depressed, I can do some decently cool stuff.

Totally HSP.

Basically low latent inhibition with hsp and empathy is a bit of a hard time, particularly when you work in a barrierless open plan office.

I struggle with sensory overload more of less all the time at work, with sensory shutdowns (times when I become physically unable to interact with the world and my senses go low-focus on everything) typically once a week.

I also struggle when everybody is on edge.
What do you mean by cultivation techniques? I'm only getting agriculture advice looking that up on Google. Also, I want to clear things up. I haven't been able to "Soul Travel" since soon after I typed this. Totally lost that ability as far as I know. And to clarify, my mind "control" is more like mind influencing. I can't puppet someone nor would I if I could, but I can influence people using a similar technique. I usually do this solely when people need help and I'm not getting through to them. The qigong stuff is just that. It's weird to me how I can just up and do it, but it is what it is. Also, any "abilities" I do have are heavily dependent on my mood. If I'm depressed, which I have been for quite some time now, they're very weak. If I'm not depressed, I can do some decently cool stuff.
Ahh! Sorry! Qigong stuff is also referred to as qi cultivation, and is the most current type of qi cultivation, at least from my albeit flawed understanding (or is a subsection and alongside soul travel sort of the only part of cultivation you're supposed to do without close supervision - also cultivation novels are one of my favorite genre of novel (and more about other types of cultivation, like cultivation towards immortality with meditation, martial arts and sword-fighting, but definitely soul travel is up there too, which fit better into fantasy genres in general and it's nice to read fantasy novels that are neither heavily christian (or with a dichotomy like christianity) nor arthurian). So it's awesome and says a lot about your mental control that you can do soul travel at all, even only once in a while.

Reactions: Truth Eternity
Totally HSP.

Basically low latent inhibition with hsp and empathy is a bit of a hard time, particularly when you work in a barrierless open plan office.

I struggle with sensory overload more of less all the time at work, with sensory shutdowns (times when I become physically unable to interact with the world and my senses go low-focus on everything) typically once a week.

I also struggle when everybody is on edge.

Ahh! Sorry! Qigong stuff is also referred to as qi cultivation, and is the most current type of qi cultivation, at least from my albeit flawed understanding (or is a subsection and alongside soul travel sort of the only part of cultivation you're supposed to do without close supervision - also cultivation novels are one of my favorite genre of novel (and more about other types of cultivation, like cultivation towards immortality with meditation, martial arts and sword-fighting, but definitely soul travel is up there too, which fit better into fantasy genres in general and it's nice to read fantasy novels that are neither heavily christian (or with a dichotomy like christianity) nor arthurian). So it's awesome and says a lot about your mental control that you can do soul travel at all, even only once in a while.

Thanks, maybe we can have some fun converstations about this stuff sometime. Soul Traveling for me is really odd, as I used to be able to ace it, but I'm now shut down. I feel as if it's because all the issues present in my life are just getting worse and worse and spiraling into one another to become one huge issue, and I don't have the mental peace to be able to reliably Soul Travel. To me, that means I've yet to master it, as I wish to be able to use all my abilities in their fullest no matter what the circumstances. If you have any of those book in mind, could you recommend them please? Thank you :)

Reactions: origamipuzzleboxes