Any INFJ teachers on here

Molvas

Regular Poster
Aug 22, 2014
MBTI
INFX
Enneagram
Type 4w5
Im on the border of introvert and extrovert so I think I could pull off and I would love to inspire children and make science interesting to them,i think I would be happier doing that then working in a hospital lab,my other career choice.are there any teachers on here and if so,do you enjoy your job,and think it suits an Infj.

I teach. I think teaching suits some infjs. My main caveat would be that teaching sounds fun, and it is, but it is a huge amount of work, preparation, reflection and effort. I would shadow someone for a day or two to see what you think about the day to day existence. Many people are turned off by the amount of work actually involved and the ridiculous parameters you have to work with. Actually, that is not true everywhere but it is true in the US.

I am a teacher, in a sort of way...

I find contact with kids great but it's all about child protection nowadays...

I love children so don't mind even teens but man you have to have a strong stomach for the things they are going through which may present as barriers to their learning. Some of it is enough to make a person actually spit and I am not prone to spitting. I have cried so hard for them somedays.

Volunteer first.

Overall I am tired of working the 9-5 now (or in my case all the fucking time) so I'm transitioning into designing and making my own unique products and LOVING it!

*Delta dances around her sitting room.

By and large I would advise that these things are a matter usually of opening many doors and often people don't know what they want to do until they hit 30-ish. So, get on with a variety of things.

I can't recommend volunteering enough though..

Oh and look at wages before committing. Teachers get paid like 3 pence per day or something.

I am a teacher, in a sort of way...

I find contact with kids great but it's all about child protection nowadays...

I love children so don't mind even teens but man you have to have a strong stomach for the things they are going through which may present as barriers to their learning. Some of it is enough to make a person actually spit and I am not prone to spitting. I have cried so hard for them somedays.

Volunteer first.

Overall I am tired of working the 9-5 now (or in my case all the fucking time) so I'm transitioning into designing and making my own unique products and LOVING it!

*Delta dances around her sitting room.

By and large I would advise that these things are a matter usually of opening many doors and often people don't know what they want to do until they hit 30-ish. So, get on with a variety of things.

I can't recommend volunteering enough though..

Oh and look at wages before committing. Teachers get paid like 3 pence per day or something.
I am going to try to subsutite maybe over my winter break in January and see if I like it science teachers get paid a lot of money over here,at a Halloween party I went to I saw a classmate that said they started out making 50,000$,i want to be a science teacher ,im thinking maybe I could teach at high school level and teach a honors class so the kids are better behaved,i don't think they would get to me though im the oldest in my family and no how to deal with children and teenagers,i want to make the material entertaining.i have a very,very high patience level for people and think I could deal with what ever the kids throw at me and I read in studies that children naturally listen better to male teachers.

I am going to try to subsutite maybe over my winter break in January and see if I like it science teachers get paid a lot of money over here,at a Halloween party I went to I saw a classmate that said they started out making 50,000$,i want to be a science teacher ,im thinking maybe I could teach at high school level and teach a honors class so the kids are better behaved,i don't think they would get to me though im the oldest in my family and no how to deal with children and teenagers,i want to make the material entertaining.i have a very,very high patience level for people and think I could deal with what ever the kids throw at me and I read in studies that children naturally listen better to male teachers.

I'll have to Google the wage and see how that translates to pounds as I have no idea about such things. Doesn't sound too bad though.

Good plan to be a substitute, don't be too disappointed if the kids mess with you. Did you used to mess around your substitute teachers? We always did, except for a lady named Mrs Sturgeon. Everyone loved her. She was like a celebrity. When she spoke, it was clear and she really connected with us. She had stories she would never completely finish. Bet she is still alive somewhere...

Ah that was a great bit off reminiscing..

Do the substitute thing but don't procrastinate. STFU and do it. As a fellow INFJ, I implore you to simply do it. The thinking time if you don't, man, don't get too much into that pattern. You can start to think all manner of things. Just do it. Then different doors open along the way.

I am glad you have a passion for science. Isn't science amazing? If you can translate science in an interesting way, go try it out. Especially if you are good at explaining.

This may be the opportunity you need to learn to nurture. I read the other post you made and it is clear you missed out. Sorry mate. Hugs. The great thing about teaching in any environmental is it allows us to develop another aspect which can feed into how we think about ourselves and how we self nurture. In not having been adequately nurtured it may be that you command yourself and may be susceptible to a more harsh inner voice. Gosh, I hope you understand what I am saying here...

Nurturing and sharing knowledge with others is a good aim. Be prepared to meet yourself along the way in the people you teach, especially those who aren't doing so well.

Keep posting your journey x

I am an INFJ teaching English in South Korea, and let me tell you - it does work you up a bit, but not to the point where it gives you so much anxiety. Well, I guess I can say this because they don't know English, but you don't really need to be too outgoing, just do your job, and you'll be fine - be nice, and that will compensate from your lack of energy - at least, that's what I think. Children still like me, so. I think I'm doing ok.

I agree with your ambition, [MENTION=12022]Molvas[/MENTION]. I heard a speech by Tim Minchin where he promoted a few life goals. One was being a teacher. I still want to do that sometime, but I don't know where to start. I don't have any degrees in any concrete course, but I know a lot. At least good enough for lower high school: physics, chemistry, biology, math, psychology and philosophy. But I'd rather teach general knowledge, common sense. I want to answer every question a child could have. But I have no clue where to do such a thing. I want to let them think outside the box. I want to teach them to be critical, to think for themselves.

If you have a Bachelors degree or up, you can pretty much teach English anywhere - if you don't have an Education or English degree, you'll have to get a TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA certificate, which is easy to obtain (you can get it online or in an actual class, obviously taking the actual class is infinitely better, but it is more expensive - I'm talking about $1000+). Anyway, my salary teaching is around $26,400 - but this is without paying for housing, so I pretty much live a comfortable lifestyle - save for the language barrier, but hey! :)

I hope you find a way to teach!!! It is pretty eye opening.

I don't know if this counts, but I'm currently an economics tutor and planning to get my PHD to be a professor. With my tutoring job, I love it and wouldn't trade it for any job...except for being a full time professor but that will come with time. I don't really like kids so teaching at any level below the undergraduate would be a nightmare. I'm sure teaching isn't for every INFJ, but for me it's something I really enjoy dispite my introversion (I score about 90% preference on introversion). I guess since economics is a subject I know a lot about and care a lot about, it brings me joy to be able to talk about it in a way that other people can understand what I'm talking about as well.

I scored about 31% introverted which is strange because it's hard for me to open up, and I also get anxious with talking to people - even with a language barrier. I think the fact that I like to hang out with people (and not really open up or contribute to conversations in a meaningful way unless I know the subject at hand) may be the reason why.

Like drummergirlbk, it's probably better to teach in College. I know I've had frustrations with children, myself - AND I LOVE KIDS, but I am also aiming to teach in University after I obtain fluency in Japanese and then go back to the U.S. for a Masters and Ph.D :/

Edit: I'll have to check back to see what my introversion percentage rate is....

Hello guys
I've got lots of questions about teaching abroad

Anyone here to help? ^^ [MENTION=12118]Chalti[/MENTION]?

I've been a teacher for many years but am now considering a career move due to stress. However it's a very rewarding career, I don't regret doing it. I would say go for it!

Pros:
1. Helping children grow intellectually & behaviorally.
2. If you have a dramatic side it's an outlet to"perform".
3. On your feet all day (I don't like sitting for hours).
4. Chance for creativity when planning/delivering lessons.
5. Building relationships with your pupils as a role model. It's a vocation & a job to be proud of.

Cons:
1. Hard to cope with numerous demands from pupils all day (I teach primary).
2. Your day is ruled by the bell/timetables. It can be hard to eat/go to the toilet etc when you need to. I crave "alone" time to recharge but can't get it at work.
3. Taking work home so home becomes another office rather than a place of rest.
4. Bitchy politics among staff. I like harmony & really struggle with this aspect.
5.Term-time it's ridiculously intense, then you get huge holidays with nothing - two extremes.
6. It's VERY loud!

Obviously not all the cons apply to every teaching context. Choose your age group/school carefully & try to find out what the Head's management style is like. That sets the tone of the whole place. Hope that's helpful!