Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief | Page 5 | INFJ Forum

Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief

Banning abortion and removing the teaching of evolution in schools is not based on religious belief?
You must separate the wheat from the chaff. What is your proposed solution? Do people still have abortions? Do people still learn about evolution? Dont be overcome by scare tactics. That is exactly why some people enjoy an increased quality of life when they have religious revelations- the faith. I am not a judge on issues, yet the truth will prevail. A lot of things like abortion and teaching evolution or creationism in school are undecidable for they both have their pros and cons. How about we let them decide after learning about both, rather than oppressing one or the other. Abortion is a separate issue and each case is different, but again, I'm not a judge or knowledgeable enough to make a confident assessment. Accidents happen, but I think preventing unwanted pregnancy is more important than what to do after a life has been conceived.

You must separate the wheat from the chaff. What is your proposed solution? Do people still have abortions? Do people still learn about evolution? Dont be overcome by scare tactics. That is exactly why some people enjoy an increased quality of life when they have religious revelations- the faith. I am not a judge on issues, yet the truth will prevail. A lot of things like abortion and teaching evolution or creationism in school are undecidable for they both have their pros and cons. How about we let them decide after learning about both, rather than oppressing one or the other. Abortion is a separate issue and each case is different, but again, I'm not a judge or knowledgeable enough to make a confident assessment. Accidents happen, but I think preventing unwanted pregnancy is more important than what to do after a life has been conceived.

My solution is to do what I am doing- ridicule religion.

My solution is to do what I am doing- ridicule religion.
That hasnt worked well for people in the past. In a parable, the mockers and the bigots are the ones destroyed. They wrong themselves when they wrong others, so will an equal punishment for them for what they dealt be justice? Really, mocking and berating people is not a way of reformation.

Lol..I forgot about creationists.

There is a lot of evidence that suggests our brains evolved with religion.

Its like you're telling me that we don't need our incisor teeth anymore since we don't need to rip meat like we used to. Your solution is to go around and punch everyone in the mouth to rid them of their needless teeth. If they object and want to keep their teeth, ridicule them.

Reactions: Kmal
That hasnt worked well for people in the past. In a parable, the mockers and the bigots are the ones destroyed. They wrong themselves when they wrong others, so will an equal punishment for them for what they dealt be justice? Really, mocking and berating people is not a way of reformation.
I wholeheartedly disagree. And your source is biased... a parable where the non-believers get destroyed? REALLY?!

Lol..I forgot about creationists.

There is a lot of evidence that suggests our brains evolved with religion.

Its like you're telling me that we don't need our incisor teeth anymore since we don't need to rip meat like we used to. Your solution is to go around and punch everyone in the mouth to rid them of their needless teeth. If they object and want to keep their teeth, ridicule them.
More like people with those kinds of teeth run around biting everyone and then we want to remove them.

I wholeheartedly disagree. And your source is biased... a parable where the non-believers get destroyed? REALLY?!

If you ridicule others, you expect them to return the favor? You want others to step up and be righteous while you are of the mockers? If you are to change something, you must first change it within yourself, and mocking is not reformation but corruption. It is not an upstanding thing to do and don't you want an upstanding society where there is justice? Be the change billy if you are truthful.

If you ridicule others, you expect them to return the favor? You want others to step up and be righteous while you are of the mockers? If you are to change something, you must first change it within yourself, and mocking is not reformation but corruption. It is not an upstanding thing to do and don't you want an upstanding society where there is justice? Be the change billy if you are truthful.

OH NOES! Not corruption! What ever will I do! some random nobody from an obscure internet forum thinks I am corrupted with his subjective personal value system! SCIENCE DAMN YOU! I am not upstanding! Oh the horror of it! Again I strike my chest with my fist! I lament this unfortunate turn of events! Some dude whos fond of circular arguments thinks I am not truthful and I should be *GASP* nice! UGHHHH What can I do? Oh I know... I will post a meme.

250870_325718024169356_89673798_n.jpg

Reactions: Kgal
attachment.php

[MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION] It is easy to see how mocking only destroys and doesn't build up. Certain behaviors yield different results, some good, some bad. Have you considered that what you put out, you get? Increase in your understanding of life billy.

Hahaha I knew about that study too, and there's more related, but posting things like the original post to dishearten and demean others is their tactic. This is the internet. If everyone ignores them, they'll have no one to bully.

And I suppose that the purpose of the entire study is to make you feel bad, right? The original article says absolutely nothing about intelligence, the inherent superiority of reason over intuition, OR your precious sense of self-worth.

There is nothing personally offensive about the idea that autistic people might find atheism appealing... it was explained in the article (which I actually read) that this is because they're comforted by things that are concrete and are also less likely to enjoy or participate in social gatherings. Posting that link with the intention of 'sticking it to the atheists', apart from being a fallacy, is also derogatory... and also missing the point because atheists can be religious.

Last edited:
I think the only think Jack did here was not get my mental deviance joke...he thought I was posting the link to "stick it to the atheists" because of my comment not because of the link...which I was in play, but it wasn't with any real malice.

Sorry.

I was dead serious about NPD tho

Last edited:
This is a bit too simplistic, isn't it?

First, as for the initial topic; I think it's yes and no. Yes, analytic thinking will make someone less prone to propaganda / blind faith, but when someone's actual thoughts lead to faith, or God, or a religious institution; a stronger, harder to break faith will surface. And this time, you've got not (only) religious dogma, but reasoning to back them up. For better or worse.

Next..
Saying religion has not done wrong is a complete lie. But saying all (or given [MENTION=1451]Billy[/MENTION]'s location, I'm going to assume it's Judeo-Christian religions with emphasis on conservative Christianity) needs to be banished is denying the goods. :|

I do agreed that quite a significant number held religion as too important a place in their lives, but religions themselves are, to a certain degree, important, to humanity's lives on whole. :|

Reactions: barbad0s
[MENTION=4871]CindyLou[/MENTION]

I probably should have expected this to happen, but some of the responses are pretty amazing especially when you consider what the 'N' in INFJ stands for.

My philosophy goes farther than earthly things, by some standards. I'm a lot more of a cosmic sorta guy, you know? So I'm more inclined to believe deep down inside, that humanity is very special, and very likely to be just one species of many, on one planet out of many that host life in it's seemingly alien possibilities. I think we are all interwoven with the universe by a very deep, considerably mystical, valley of looove bebeeeeee.

Basically, we are all starstuff* - Carl Sagan - and reality is a beautiful dream. Well developed people have inner worlds that regularity take part in their lives, sometimes much more powerful than reality has ever been (and this trait is an NF NT, and Fe trait - for me - in my opinion). I suppose as someone (?) once said, every system in existence, whether planetary, galactic, mathematical, emotional, other internal (eternal) , external, social, the universe as a whole, higher modes of dimensional expressions of love, and all that hippie garbage. To sum it all up, we are the Mind of GOD. We are in between two infinite eternities, past and future, in our dimensional context. The present through Earth's eyes, is a gift with strings attachmed. These strings are pain, trust, contempt, happiness, and all other emotions, most if not all of which I find to be a double-edged blade....for some it is a sword composed of only blade, that makes the user's hand bleed.

I am very stoned right now, thought it would be a good time to get deep, let out the energy after a long day. I will praise existence as much as possible ASAP BYOB TBA BTW bebeeeeeeees <3, hlthis attitude brings me peace of mind, be in touch with me "vibes," good and bad, also: confidence, patience, and searching for "The Truth" helps me keep my assholish judgmentalism within, but voicing my thoughts when I feel like it, and also to help me stay "in-tune" with my body and it's sensory needs... I forget to eat for days sometimes which is not good while bodybuilding - another nice hobby. I'm building mass and will in a later date cut myself into leaner shape, so that I can live to my maximum potential lololololol
I'm learning to speak Mandarin and picking up cursive writing (was taught during early childhood, abandoned it for typing, supposedly really good for cognition and preventing Alzheimer's and dementia). For now, it's easy to learn because my brain is plastic, but will likely peak in my 20's. I, during phases of my life - the Ni-Fe emotional rollercoaster during development - led me to the moral conclusion that I cannot be truly moral and financially successful at the same time. I have since managed to wrap my mind around this internal-issue, leading me to a worldview that accepts for me to work within the system, and avoid temptation to do evil. But the path is EXTREMELY HARD, and I have to spread love in everything I do, never hurt. Accepted what I can't change, and all that Gandhi-Jesus bullshiznazadoodle....maaaaan.

May you crazy folks stay connected to the universe, keep in tune with the goal, to make it through these pivotal times, in which our knowledge for reality grows, we see that the study of the cosmos: space, time, and texture is revealing it's true nature at a miraculously basic, extremely deep and often unimaginably cerebrally wearing... so much so that it is often impossible to represent in the minds eye.

To to conclude the whole post I had a pretty severe existential crisis which involved itself in my life in many different ways. Then my friend gave me some mushrooms and I learned to ignore it and live on spite of the fact that everything which has existed in the external world, and the internal worlds, is going to be forgotten, and that in my life time I will simply be unable to experience the infinite amount of beautiful things and eventually join the Mind of God. The unconscious purely logical universe ...pretty much everything, ever, is full of miracles (miracles in our eyes are not necessarily miracles in the eyes of the Mind of God, but I think that everything is a miracle, the fact that the universe...is. I imagine it's sort of like reality itself, that possibly every system that can every be and are... really are greater than the sum of their parts. I think Jesus was an INFJs who became a God to humanity, there is no distinguishing the difference between Jesus and God's Mind. Jesus didn't manipulate the middle-eastern world with psychotic claims that he was God, because he intuitively knew that he was connected to God's mind. It makes sense to me that Jesus is the earthly divine being of our time, who was intimately connected to the Mind of God through the Holy Spirit.

I was raised Roman Catholic, there are many things in the Bible that I disagree with, and even more that I find contradictory and irrelevant ...but as a whole, I won't lie... it has taught me out with a few helpful lessons about the human condition. Also mushrooms... look up the "Christian Cult of Mushrooms" on Google.

...and excuse the drawn out and long-winded post. Take care y'all keep your Ni in control, let it guide you well, guard it from corruption, use your gifts. And don't forget to like, chill out sometimes, man...you guys think too much if you're like me.....can prevent you from being motivated. Good luck with life naggas! :) hehehehaAAHAHA

.....my "religion" is based on science. The two are compatible in my worldview, and I admire the cold, disconnected world that comes naturally to T types especially NTPs and TJs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quiet and Kmal
And I suppose that the purpose of the entire study is to make you feel bad, right? The original article says absolutely nothing about intelligence, the inherent superiority of reason over intuition, OR your precious sense of self-worth.

There is nothing personally offensive about the idea that autistic people might find atheism appealing... it was explained in the article (which I actually read) that this is because they're comforted by things that are concrete and are also less likely to enjoy or participate in social gatherings. Posting that link with the intention of 'sticking it to the atheists', apart from being a fallacy, is also derogatory... and also missing the point because atheists can be religious.

I'm pretty secure in my sense of self worth, and in my intelligence and schooling for that matter. It is the nature of the post(s) in question to which I was responding.

[MENTION=6014]dudemanbro[/MENTION]

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I've met very intelligent people who hold tightly onto their religion. I guess it's hard for them to admit the idea they base their entire worldview on, is wrong. It's too shocking for their minds to admit, and thus keep believing in their doctrine.

Analytic minds will compare the evidence from multiple sources and take their biases into account. I can tell from experience there is a LOT of crap out there about how invalid science is. A mind who wants to know the truth will continue digging into the evidence, and uncover the truth. And that truth, is atheism.