Your views on CHRISTMAS | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Your views on CHRISTMAS

Where does the guilt come from?

Unless you're into some Boko Haram/ISIS/Al-Qaeda type activities, I think it's safe to say that you deserve nice things from yourself or from others :)

I have to keep a constant reality check on how objects are not all that important because I have a tendency to obsess over things in an all-consuming manner.

If I let myself it gets to a point where I can't stop thinking about things that I want to such an extent that it interferes with important things like doing work. Because I'm wishing I had whatever it is and wondering what I can beg, borrow or steal in order to get it. Then I break down and get it and at least half the time it doesn't make me nearly as happy as I thought it would.

Reactions: cvp12gh5
Christmas is great. Its the one time of year where we can say, see everything is better, the worlds really not so bad after all.

If people really believed whats preached about at Christmas "good will toward man" the world would be a much different place.

The Greek quote is "peace on Earth to men of Good will"

I only note this this because I think it's an interesting point in the history of God's people and the relationship between God and his people. It's been five hundred years since the last prophet of the old testament walked the earth, five hundred years of captivity for the Jewish people, five hundred years of waiting, five hundred years of silence. And for those who were faithful, for those who waited, God spoke and peace is on earth. It's God way of saying thank you for waiting.

So I spot another person who isn't quite the yule-tider as well! me too

Naaahh I was trying to be creepy and weird! XD

I like Christmas but it's becoming super-stressful cause my family just double-and-a-halfed in size cause of in-laws. I still enjoy seeing my family and friends though not too keene on running around trying to find perfect gifts.

Last edited:
As everyone knows Christmas is coming up and fa la la la. The lights, the commercials, the sales, but it all feels superficial to me...and its getting a little old.
Why can't people be kind to others year round?
Why does it take a slew of lights and an intruder in a red suit to get people excited?
Is celebrating holidays more of a sensor-thing?
All views celebrated!

I think Christmas has a pretty deep meaning if you are religious. Maybe a little less if you are simple "spiritual". What's so superficial about it?

I find it troubling that people assume that because there is a Christmas that's means people are only kind during this time of year. During many holidays people are encouraged to be kind (which there's really a lot of holidays). If it was announced that you must be kind every day then it would become meaningless background noise.

People get excited by lights and magic. Should people just be excited all day long? How draining.

People get excited by lights and magic.

Christmas lights are to people as laser pointers are to derpy cats apparently.

Edit: there's two things I never understood since childhood. Fireworks and Christmas lights. I've been dragged out to see both many times and I never really liked it. But that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I'm apparently not allowed to not like them. That there's some kind of wrong with me if I don't. That pisses me off and makes me not like them even more out of spite.

Last edited:
Christmas lights are to people as laser pointers are to derpy cats apparently.

Edit: there's two things I never understood since childhood. Fireworks and Christmas lights. I've been dragged out to see both many times and I never really liked it. But that's not what bothers me. What bothers me is that I'm apparently not allowed to not like them. That there's some kind of wrong with me if I don't. That pisses me off and makes me not like them even more out of spite.

why can't smart people like Christmas lights? That's what your analogy implies.

why can't smart people like Christmas lights? That's what your analogy implies.

It has less to do with intelligence and more to do with how compulsive/impulsive it seems.

And besides, I find it ironic that people keep saying it isn't superficial yet defend it by giving examples of things that are superficial (e.g. 'lights and magic')

[MENTION=731]the[/MENTION]

Moreover there's a lot of trivial holidays but Christmas is the most cult-like and controversial of them all, where if you're not in the "Christmas spirit" then you're a grinch and so much material flogs this stereotype that some of us grinches start to resent it.

Don't fricking judge unless you want to be judged back.

It has less to do with intelligence and more to do with how compulsive/impulsive it seems.

And besides, I find it ironic that people keep saying it isn't superficial yet defend it by giving examples of things that are superficial (e.g. 'lights and magic')

@the

Moreover there's a lot of trivial holidays but Christmas is the most cult-like and controversial of them all, where if you're not in the "Christmas spirit" then you're a grinch and so much material flogs this stereotype that some of us grinches start to resent it.

Don't fricking judge unless you want to be judged back.

im not sure the religious aspects of Christmas really need explaining or defending. THey are pretty common knowledge you either believe in the stories or you don't. People who don't participate are going to be shamed by those who do, that's just anything.

Dont judge me is a pretty childish sentiment.

edit: I forgot to agree with you that Christmas is very cult like - it was created by a cult.

Last edited:
im not sure the religious aspects of Christmas really need explaining or defending. THey are pretty common knowledge you either believe in the stories or you don't. People who don't participate are going to be shamed by those who do, that's just anything.

From where I sit the religious aspect almost never gets in to begin with. I could grant you that if it did, but the way I see it the religious aspect is the LAST thing on people's minds (if at all)

Edit:
And it's not entirely a childish statement given the religious ties and the existence of the Christian household where if you are raised in it you MUST go along with the traditions. In that case if you differ, judgement is a real thing.

Edit edit:
Additionally, in many cases people are conditioned with this from a very young age. It's ingrained. It's acceptable to enjoy Christmas and in many cases it is practically required. To such an extent that I'm sure many have potential concerns which are not voiced because it is inappropriate to do so and they catch flak for it. Like here.

Last edited:
[MENTION=731]the[/MENTION]
Moreover trees and lights and Santa Claus and presents have nothing to do with Jesus at all. You don't need those to believe Jesus was born, but you can have them and yet NOT believe Jesus was born. Christmas tradition is a nonsensical mishmash of random sensational stuff, a lot of it pagan to begin with. When I say Christmas, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Jesus birthday which is a separate idea to me.

Additionally it was bad enough that Catholics and Protestants fought over it in the Protestant Reformation.

If it weren't for people like Martin Luther, we probably wouldn't be having Christmas at all. At least not the same way.

Also to harp on this even more, shamed believers are inauthentic believers. They are superficial. So this is a big stroke against your argument.

It's not "just anything", it's just wrong.

Christmas itself doesn't bug me too much. I just don't like having to travel to see my family- and it's never been the whole family. It's always one person or another. Christmas is just a big fat reminder of how things that should be nice are actually fucked up broken and dysfunctional.

Add to that how much I hate to fly, how stressed and crowded it is and superficial...i would just assume do away with it altogether.

Also to harp on this even more, shamed believers are inauthentic believers. They are superficial. So this is a big stroke against your argument.

It's not "just anything", it's just wrong.

Why are shamed believers inauthentic believers.?

Why are shamed believers inauthentic believers.?

Because if one says they believe something to stop being shamed then they're ultimately doing it to avoid discomfort rather than doing it because they actually believed it - if they really believed it there'd be no need to shame them in the first place.

Or in other words, they're only doing it to fit in, and might be likely to believe anything else if they could be shamed into it enough. Essentially the belief is not a true belief if it arises only out of comfort.

Reactions: the
Also, I'm not a fan of those times that says you should be happy when you aren't necessarily so. It puts a lot of stress on people,to be fake. Then if you're not happy they aren't happy, making me unhappy.

What a waste of time and energy.