Impact Character

folding paper cranes ⭐
Oct 8, 2018
Hidden Ginnels of Concrete City
MBTI
inconcrete
Enneagram
Hey everyone!

I found a topic I would like to share with you. It's not necessarily one of those favourite topics but nontheless it might be worth to look at..

Many people think of themselves as being "very lucky" in life which is often connected to their "readiness" to take up opportunities. So my questions are:

1. What it is like when sudden opportunities present themselves to you?
  2. How would you describe an ability to create opportunities?
  3. Edit: And how about creating "sudden opportunities"?

Thank you for reading. :)

Last edited:
Great topic :D
What it is like when sudden opportunities present themselves to you?
I'm not a fan of sudden opportunity for myself. If the opportunity is simple then my decision to take it may take less time to mull over. With life changing opportunities I prefer to "sleep" on it for a few days before acting. The only draw back from reacting in this way is that I've had many opportunities pass me by because the window of time had closed.

How would you describe an ability to create opportunities?
To extrapolate on my mention of 'timing' ... opportunity is wrapped up in timing.
In creating opportunity it takes a minute sense of the variables involved in the opportunity.

For myself creating opportunity involves knowing how to use manipulation to a positive advantage. Understanding the parts involved in creating opportunity is the direct path to gaining the advantage over the outcome of said opportunity.

This is where comfort in the introspective processes of INFJ cognition comes into play and opportunities become successful. That inate ability to see the bigger picture, pick up on details, analyze those details and exchange them as needed to 'manipulate' the timing and people involved in creating the opportunity works to build the foundation of that. I've found that a sound foundation or knowing at least three possible outcomes of the opportunity builds the confidence to create the set of events that inturn 'creates' the opportunity and successive opportunities there after.

Many people think of themselves as being "very lucky" in life which is often connected to their "readiness" to take up opportunities.

I'm not sure this clicks with me...but then again, I'm not much of a believer in luck. With the background processing that comes with being an introverted intuitive, many folks having this ability do not recognize that they had been setting the stage for opportunity all along but were unaware of it. ;)

*Perhaps it's age, perhaps a lifetime of sordid experiences, however, I think INxx's have a natural ability to create opportunity. Focused ability, skills or talents will etch out opportunity regardless of type.

The ability to use manipulation to our advantage I believe is the cause of why other personalities think we are a bit shifty and shady, lol :tearsofjoy::blush:

Usually opportunities aren't sudden, in my eyes. I've coordinated certain things to end up in positions where certain things become more likely/inevitable.
If they are more difficult to achieve, it takes more time or relative positioning, usually both. There is never any certainty. No guarantees in life.
You have to be open to taking scary/difficult paths and the resources to follow through. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't.
I'm not built particularly strong in this way, but the circumstances in which I came from have afforded me a lot of ease when I need rest.
You will get somewhere if you try and have a healthy attitude about it. You will fly and fall a lot in short spurts.

See above

And how about creating "sudden opportunities"?

it-is-inevitable.jpg

It really depends on what they are. It's one thing when a chance meeting with an old friend I've not seen for ages leads to a catch-up over an unexpected coffee - it's quite another when a number withheld telephone call offers me a glittering £10,000 investment opportunity in an obscure South American mining company. A most startling one was when I was offered early retirement unexpectedly at the age of 52 when our company was downsizing - I had to think long and hard about that one and turned it down in the end, but I nearly didn't and it was a very difficult decision. It's like @Sandie33 implied - my reaction depends on the scale of the impact. In some ways the life changing sudden opportunities are as hard to deal with as sudden and unexpected problems such as the onset of a serious illness or the loss of a job.

I think this is a skill that all very successful people have, and I doubt it's quite what it seems from the outside for most of them. To explain - someone who has a huge win in a lottery is definitely very lucky indeed, but they do have to enter the game in the first place and buy a ticket. I think this is the way that many opportunities are created, but in games with a much better chance of winning. People who are good at it have a solid idea of how what they have already relates to what they would like to happen. Of course in some cases it's then just a matter of going and getting it - like buying a washing machine for example. But if it's a significant career move, for example, then things are less simple because you need to be capable, the good positions are scarce, and there is competition as you move up the ladder. The people I've seen who are good at it farm their luck - they are realistic about how well they match their aspirations, they prepare themselves in terms of skill and experience, they make themselves known to people of influence - but then above all this they are patient and persistent. New opportunities of the right sort can appear unexpectedly, and these folks are waiting and watching, ready to move quickly when they do - and if they do not succeed on a particular occasion they don't give up but learn from it and keep on looking. From outside it can seem like someone like this is just lucky, but mainly it's because they farm their luck.

I've used career here as an example, but with all sorts of modifications the process of farming your luck fits many other sorts of opportunity, such as finding the right home or the right partner, or the right social club. Even the right place to shop for food and other less significant opportunities.

I think a big factor in farming your luck is bound up closely with how you handle risk and what will happen if things go pear-shaped. People who don't like taking some risks will be less blessed with luck than those who are OK with it - on the other hand the risk-takers have to accept that sometimes things won't work out and they'll have to deal with the fall-out. I took far bigger risks with my career when i was young and had no dependents than when I was older and had other people who relied on me.

Edit: And how about creating "sudden opportunities"?
I don't like the thought of life-changing sudden opportunities LOL - they can be extremely stressful! For instance - you have 24 hours to decide whether to be a nature warden on a remote Scottish island a 2 hour boat journey from the mainland and with only 5 other people living there,

There's something really wonderful about those sudden opportunities that break up the routine on a small scale and freshen up the world and keep us young. When I was working, things like that were a sudden decision to go and deal with a problem overseas in two days time, or a realisation that we could sort something out better by hacking it over the next weekend when no-one else was around. These things can be a drag, but mostly they were more like a refreshing adventure. It's good when families do things like this - a sudden unexpected short holiday, etc.

1. What is like when sudden opportunities present themselves to you?

It's exciting, and I'll give it consideration, while preemptively trying to stall for time.

2. How would you describe an ability to create opportunities?

Studying a particular area carefully identifying "pinch points", which limit opportunities, or increase risk, then brainstorming for ways to circumvent those pinch points. For example, to buy a property, some pinch points might include: the maximum and minimum prices possible for the property on the market, the costs (time, money, opportunity cost, etc) involved with various possible prices, the knowledge of potential sellers, the future zoning plans for the area, etc. I actually bought my house almost 50% below market value, by approaching what appeared to be hoarders' houses, and negotiating to buy "as is". I avoided both over-optimistic seller expectations, and competition against other potential buyers. The work involved to get the house livable wasn't costly to me, because I was able to do most of it myself during my free time, and even call upon new neighbours to help.

3. And how about creating "sudden opportunities"?
See above. I knew exactly what would count as a worthwhile opportunity to get a home, without getting into debt. I then went looking for an opportunity, armed with knowledge, and a willingness to make it easier for potential sellers to sell to me, than to the open market. (I offered to help and pay for moving any wanted belongings, and to dispose of unwanted belongings).

@Sandie33 @Wyote @John K @Sometimes Yeah Thank you so much for taking your time to write out your thoughts and sharing your honest views. I very appreaciate it. :)

Especially to you, @Sandie33 because you were the first to write, and I'm grateful for your female sensitivity and especially how you mentioned the part of accepting that many opportunities are also passing by.

Wether it is sleeping on it or stalling for time, it's basically not a natural fight-reaction, but maybe more of a flight reaction like the need to withdraw to process everything around it, wether it is things-ressources or people-ressources.
Maybe if the decission is too diffcult or a life-changer it could be compared with one that moves more into a freeze-reaction, like trouble making decissions or more need of time to process thoroughly all parts of the decission making process while the clock is ticking. So sometimes it has the right timing, the foundation was layed out or the preparations were made beforehand (skills and experience aquired, knowledge and ressources gathered, strategy and decission made..) and sometimes it isn't and wasn't yet. Or at least that is the inner consensus about if it feels enough. (Some other people have the tendecy to dive in and do/learn/gather/aquire on the fly. Some others are yet building up confidence beforehand wether it is realistically not enough or it realistically actually is enough.)

I like how it can be a natural "fight attitude" though in the sense that nervousness is pushed into excitement when presented to an opportunity. And with that I mean consideration over saying No, even if it might be sudden or perhaps pushy and connected to still needing to have time to process. And I guess this is easier the more you have already made the decission beforehand (i.e. needing a new washing machine that includes thoughts about xy), while deciding also gets easier when there is urgency (i.e. decide to get a new washing machine when the old one already stopped functioning on all levels.)

There is a bit of both.. inevitable and sudden/"lucky" opportunities. When things are out of your control (not in your manipulating circumstances or coordination area) they appear a lot more "lucky and sudden". Even though you can see how the likelihood came about when you get the information, as in a retrospective or by intuitive feel beforehand. Then there is the area of influence, which is not necessarily control nor not control, like the law of attraction which can hold a lot of passive moves, for a lack of a better word. And well.. that control zone that @John K pointed out even up to the pathological risk-takers and opportunity-farmers. :D

Thank you, @Wyote for pointing out the part about no guarantees and certainty, although the answers about the topic were very "high control" in a way. I feel it is easier when the goal or achievement is not massively specific but has a rough form for direction/orientation. It keeps a bit of flexibility and can keep attachment to future outcomes at bay. Plus the overcoming of resistance and courageously facing perceived risks, and embracing failure as part of learning. (More fighter attitude!)

I feel you @Sandie33 @John K about stressful sudden life changing opportunities. lol The lottery comment reminds me of that joke.

It's interesting to me to see the variables here in your, John's/Sands and in @Sometimes Yeah 's posts. One side is more strongly focused on the impact on people and the other one is more focused on working together with people.
It reads wonderfully how you go for an "opportunity exchange" in your story about the house, @Sometimes Yeah but with an effectiveness spin. That's a really cool skill. It focuses more on the ressources as numbers less on the emotions of reaching something collectively satisfying, by meeting needs or being ethical. Thank you for that additional perspective.

I need to confess something:
This is a topic taken from an Se perspective. I'm currently reading a bit about the Magic Diamond by Dario Nardi who does some research and lots on brain scans. He pointed out that the brain of Se Doms can be illustrated by a basketball player who is keeping himself physically in momentum, stay in alertness and readiness to catch opportunities. I think this was worded out beautifully in John's observations about some other folks around him!
Anyhow, Nardi's symbol of the Magic Diamond is all about the Transcendent Function and his attempts in coaching involves the paths less taken, neglected or disliked to be blended with the path that comes easy, natural and automated in order to integrate all parts an functions.

So again I want to thank you for exploring this topic a bit. Although it's a bit irky at some point. :)

thanos-avengers.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Impact Character
Hmmm. In my experience, sudden opportunities are about people trying to put my energy into their projects. It derails me. If the project is a good fit and aligns with my focus and goals I'll take it. If you're on a path and people offer opportunities on that path, take them. Or, if you don't know what you want to do, take opportunities to help you figure out what you want, or help you gain traction.

We definitely need to know when to go for it and be spontaneous when we're offered a good opportunity, but part of that "luck" is being able to filter the opportunities that are a good fit and ignore the rest. If you take opportunities that aren't a good fit, it will clutter your path and you'll be busy or distracted when good opportunities arrive, or worse, a poor fit will discourage other offers.

With career opportunities*, one needs foresight and a filter. I used to say "yes" to a lot of work that cluttered up my time and ultimately didn't help my portfolio or resume.

Go for what you really want. The worst thing that will happen is hearing, "No." It is far more important to remember that you don't need to wait to seek goals and accomplishments. You deserve to try now. Seek opportunities and go for the ones you really want now. Keep building experience, and try again if the answer was "no" the first time (if it is still a goal). Don't listen to people who say you can't.

When we're young, opportunities seem endless. Everything is wide open, people see youthful energy and offer paths, and if young people aren't careful, they'll think that is how life is always going to be. When you're young, green, and fresh-faced (and pretty/cute/handsome) people enjoy throwing opportunities your way. When you are older you may still be beautiful/handsome, but people will expect more from you. They also won't offer you as many "starter" opportunities, nor should you be looking for them.

There is also a line between opportunity and using people, and being used. When you're young there is more of a chance that the person giving the opportunity is trying to use you (because they see you as naive and innocent, and they want to take advantage of that.) I regularly receive "opportunities" with not-so-hidden ulterior motives from (usually, not always) men. Vacations, jobs, exciting adventures, acting, modeling, you name it. One of the most obvious is when someone offers to be a patron -- ie, fund a young artist's career. Who is using who? Maybe both people are using each other. Even if I were single, I couldn't use a man to get a vacation or a job. I have many friends who take these opportunities and they seem lucky. One of my "luckiest" friends has been earning six figures since we were in our early twenties. She told me she lies on her resume and inevitably gets fired, but then has the experience to put that job she wasn't qualified for on her resume. She also accepts opportunities from men looking for sex/relationships and then later kicks those men to the curb. Lucky? It isn't luck. It's a choice. It's a valid choice, but not the right choice for everyone.

*Can't help singing The Clash.

It's interesting how English deals with the word luck. It is far more oriented towards "good things happening by chance not by own efforts and ability" as in good fortune..
In German we have the word Glück. It's usually the outcome of favourable circumstances that work for you. And(!) also describes a inner state of high spirits, joy or inner sense of satisfaction.

A decission relatively easy to make that works wonderfully for you and makes you happy. That is "luck" for me.

I love when you let out this side of you lol You make me curious!
To avoid a long winded response...that optimistic playfulness is always my MO, until life hands me numerous responsibilities ... what is it that sparked your curiosity?

Impact Character said:
'One side is more strongly focused on the impact on people and the other one is more focused on working together with people.'

This sincerely sent my antenae all a twitter. I am working on a deeper understanding of why my astrological structures lead to destiny being "on working together with people " ... I am independent to the extreme and often lose out in opportunities with working on things with others. Incorporating the trauma responses and triggers over a life time with my contra-independent ideologies...well, do you see how what others in this thread said has sparked an aha moment for me when it comes to my perspective of opportunity and collaboration with others.

It has given me pause to think of how I can hone my want for interdependence with others and how that relates to my knee-jerk response to offers. Instead I could find a way to do a quick yet valid assessment and return spontaneity to my life. ;)

To avoid a long winded response...that optimistic playfulness is always my MO, until life hands me numerous responsibilities ... what is it that sparked your curiosity?
Just that. You have a charming way of communicating these things in subtle ways. And you just gave me the impression that magic was happening over there. I'm really happy. :D

I read once that birds are suspicious by nature. It is a Native American belief from Black Elk Speaks about people being like birds.

I don't embrace "opportunities" as well as I could because I tend to move forward cautiously.

However, I can generally assess a situation and recognize the possibilities that are unspoken or likely to occur quite easily

*Can't help singing The Clash.
haha, that's neat! :D

Hmmm. In my experience, sudden opportunities are about people trying to put my energy into their projects. It derails me. If the project is a good fit and aligns with my focus and goals I'll take it. If you're on a path and people offer opportunities on that path, take them. Or, if you don't know what you want to do, take opportunities to help you figure out what you want, or help you gain traction.

We definitely need to know when to go for it and be spontaneous when we're offered a good opportunity, but part of that "luck" is being able to filter the opportunities that are a good fit and ignore the rest. If you take opportunities that aren't a good fit, it will clutter your path and you'll be busy or distracted when good opportunities arrive, or worse, a poor fit will discourage other offers.

With career opportunities*, one needs foresight and a filter. I used to say "yes" to a lot of work that cluttered up my time and ultimately didn't help my portfolio or resume.

Go for what you really want. The worst thing that will happen is hearing, "No." It is far more important to remember that you don't need to wait to seek goals and accomplishments. You deserve to try now. Seek opportunities and go for the ones you really want now. Keep building experience, and try again if the answer was "no" the first time (if it is still a goal). Don't listen to people who say you can't.

When we're young, opportunities seem endless. Everything is wide open, people see youthful energy and offer paths, and if young people aren't careful, they'll think that is how life is always going to be. When you're young, green, and fresh-faced (and pretty/cute/handsome) people enjoy throwing opportunities your way. When you are older you may still be beautiful/handsome, but people will expect more from you. They also won't offer you as many "starter" opportunities, nor should you be looking for them.

There is also a line between opportunity and using people, and being used. When you're young there is more of a chance that the person giving the opportunity is trying to use you (because they see you as naive and innocent, and they want to take advantage of that.) I regularly receive "opportunities" with not-so-hidden ulterior motives from (usually, not always) men. Vacations, jobs, exciting adventures, acting, modeling, you name it. One of the most obvious is when someone offers to be a patron -- ie, fund a young artist's career. Who is using who? Maybe both people are using each other. Even if I were single, I couldn't use a man to get a vacation or a job. I have many friends who take these opportunities and they seem lucky. One of my "luckiest" friends has been earning six figures since we were in our early twenties. She told me she lies on her resume and inevitably gets fired, but then has the experience to put that job she wasn't qualified for on her resume. She also accepts opportunities from men looking for sex/relationships and then later kicks those men to the curb. Lucky? It isn't luck. It's a choice. It's a valid choice, but not the right choice for everyone.

These are heavily career-oriented thoughts. (Nothing wrong with that!) It's interesting how your post with notes on possible threats and fallouts feels more in conflict with the people-world than the posts of the others.

What about other non-career related and more daily/mundane opportunities , Asa?

I read once that birds are suspicious by nature. It is a Native American belief from Black Elk Speaks about people being like birds.

I don't embrace "opportunities" as well as I could because I tend to move forward cautiously.
The bird symbology is really sweet. ^^

However, I can generally assess a situation and recognize the possibilities that are unspoken or likely to occur quite easily
Is that your Ne power you speak of?

Reactions: aeon and John K
sudden opportunities

My photography is full of sudden opportunities, and it's one of the things that attracts me to it.

Take this image:

20210929_093247_DxO4.jpg

This was a typical example. I was out for a walk with my camera while on holiday last autumn and on my way back down the track, I noticed these spectacular clouds had developed. A few minutes later they no longer made such an attractive set of shapes, and a cloud covered the sun putting the landscape into shadow. It's not as simple as the opportunity presenting itself - I needed to actually see it and realise there was a good image there full of emotion; I had to have a camera with me that could deal with the intense contrast of the scene; and I had to set it correctly, knowing I'd be able to render it OK back on the computer.

So there's a big element of chance, combined with the means of spotting and taking advantage of the opportunity.

It's interesting to see how the equation has changed over the years because there is quite a high failure rate with this kind of image, because they are not so easy. Film is expensive, so I was less willing in the old days to take as many chances with it as with a digital camera, where there is no high cost per image. There is a positive feedback of course - the more of these riskier photos I take, the more I learn and the more able I become at spotting them and making a good image out of them. There is still quite a high failure rate, but that doesn't matter as long as some of them work.

My photography is full of sudden opportunities, and it's one of the things that attracts me to it.

Take this image:

View attachment 87060

This was a typical example. I was out for a walk with my camera while on holiday last autumn and on my way back down the track, I noticed these spectacular clouds had developed. A few minutes later they no longer made such an attractive set of shapes, and a cloud covered the sun putting the landscape into shadow. It's not as simple as the opportunity presenting itself - I needed to actually see it and realise there was a good image there full of emotion; I had to have a camera with me that could deal with the intense contrast of the scene; and I had to set it correctly, knowing I'd be able to render it OK back on the computer.

So there's a big element of chance, combined with the means of spotting and taking advantage of the opportunity.

It's interesting to see how the equation has changed over the years because there is quite a high failure rate with this kind of image, because they are not so easy. Film is expensive, so I was less willing in the old days to take as many chances with it as with a digital camera, where there is no high cost per image. There is a positive feedback of course - the more of these riskier photos I take, the more I learn and the more able I become at spotting them and making a good image out of them. There is still quite a high failure rate, but that doesn't matter as long as some of them work.

Oh, thank you John. That is a great example for sudden opportunities!

Yeah, yeah! You were also present in a way that you noticed the clouds and their potential as well as their short-life.
I suppose the prework of flow, and flow itself are also helpful when it is about spontaneity and readiness.
In the means of that you know and exercised the basics (how to use your tools, the camera with all details to concider and make creative use of, general image composition, contrast, light etc.) so that you are not occupied with finding the right button when the perfect cloud appears. :)

Hmh, the relation between ressources/costs and failrate do surely influence readiness. Except for someone who is by nature a sweat and toil person xD

Opportunities in life will always come and go. Finding out what I value and whether it’s truly valuable is the difficulty.

Yeah, hmh I guess it's easier to be more certain of wether something is valuable after having dipped the toe in some way, especially for completely new things or situation you have no inner frame of reference for yet.

That faith in opportunity sounds very peaceful. <3 Would you mind elaborating on this?

Yeah, hmh I guess it's easier to be more certain of wether something is valuable after having dipped the toe in some way, especially for completely new things or situation you have no inner frame of reference for yet.

That faith in opportunity sounds very peaceful. <3 Would you mind elaborating on this?

Agreed. It depends upon the situation. My idea of an opportunity in something is different from another’s and not something I’d share with simply anyone.

there are personal values and there’s social ones. This isn’t particularly where I would choose to do that and same as the town that I live in, as much as I enjoy participating. Thank you for the invitation. <3

Last edited: