Your desired wage | INFJ Forum

Your desired wage

Soulful

life is good
Nov 18, 2008
MBTI
What would you say is a comfortable living wage for a single person without dependents and free of debt? What currency is this in/geographical area?

What is your desired living wage, whatever your life circumstances?

What do you define as a "comfortable" or "desired" living wage? How does life look with that amount of money?

How much would you spend on basic living vs. hobbies and extras?

How much would you be hoping to save annually?

I am asking this because I will be going out into the work world soon, and am trying to gain an idea of what people think about money with regard to the questions I asked, and also hoping to establish some of my own ideas along the way.

Last edited:
$80,000 is the point where I'd be comfortable. That is probably the point I decide that I will put off asking for raises in exchange for more days off or something.

$80,000 is the point where I'd be comfortable. That is probably the point I decide that I will put off asking for raises in exchange for more days off or something.

$80,000 just for yourself with no one else to support. Did I get that right?

Reactions: the
@UBERROGO
Thanks.
Along with the idea of earning $80,000 per year, how much would you be hoping to save monthly or annually?

If I made 80k a year I would be able to pay off my student loan debt in two years and save 10k each year if I continued to live the same lifestyle I do now--which is comfortable though not extravagant. Meaning I spend enough on food I like, possibly an outfit each month and a night or two a week having dinner/drinks with friends. Then after I paid my student loan debt, I would save 50k a year to invest or possibly use as start up for my own business, for I am shrewd like the rat.
Oh but I can dream...

Reactions: the
@UBERROGO
Thanks.
Along with the idea of earning $80,000 per year, how much would you be hoping to save monthly or annually?
Save about $2000 a month probably. Saving in the form of stocks, bonds, CDs, etc of course.

Reactions: Soulful
[video=youtube;P64ikwUSs0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64ikwUSs0A[/video]

£50,000/year would be sweet. That's if I had a family too I suppose. It would be amazing to have in my current situation.

What would you say is a comfortable living wage for a single person without dependents and free of debt? What currency is this in/geographical area?
- honestly, depends on standard of living, and the standard of living is getting higher down south. I'd say "comfortable" is relative depending on the lifestyle you want. If you're free of debt, then US$50k could work. I mean, if I was free of debt, even 35k would be fine. I've always said I'd be rich if I didn't owe financial aid, credit, etc. because any money earned could be used however I want including investments. Although 35k is not high, I could afford a small cozy apartment hopefully in a decent area, and be able to keep up with basic amenities or expenses, and maybe take a small trip or vacation if I wanted without breaking the bank. Again, this is assuming I have no debt.

- 100-150k, because that would cover paying off loans, student debt, credit card debt, and hopefully pay off car and buy a new one if possible, and have more than a good start for an IRA, some stocks/bonds, etc. And have enough left over to start an organization to offer educational services. And of course take a few dream european vacations.

What do you define as a "comfortable" or "desired" living wage? How does life look with that amount of money?
-I would estimate 1,500-2,500/mth for basic living. Really depends on how someone defines "basic." Also depends on where you live. Basic usually includes rent, water, cable, light, groceries and other basic necessities including cleaning and household maintenance. I guess I should add at least 100-300+ for phone and internet services. The above amounts do not include car payment, insurance, and gas which can range from 600-1,500+/mth depending on type of car, area, and how much travel you do per week. This averages around 3500/mth if your salary was average. Add a monthly savings of 500. When I average all this, this would be a comfortable living based on a $50k/yr.

- I would estimate basic living at 1,200/mth and add $250/mth for extras for hobbies and extras for activities would probably include eating out, movies, or shopping for extras such as clothing. So, about 1,500/mth.

-On a basic salarly, it's almost impossible to save if you're living pay check to paycheck, so it could vary from 250/mth or 500/mth if you're lucky which figures $3,000 per year. But ideally I would love to be saving at least 5000/yr (415/mth).

I would be thankful paying my debt and overhead, then some for health issues coming. Wish I could sell what I have for what it is worth, so my overhead could be lowered, or part of it.

Well, I already make a comfortable living wage. I don't live paycheque to paycheque. My debts are almost gone. I bought a car brand new a few years back that's almost paid off. I can reasonably afford my rent, food and other luxuries with no problem what so ever. I don't know how other people NEED to have more than I make (I don't like to tell people who much money I make so with OT and Stats and such I'll just say I am in the 40-50k a year range). This is in downtown Vancouver, BC. One of the most expensive cities in Canada.

What I make now is fine just for myself. When my debt is gone I am going to have an abundance of money that I don't really need.

Life looks like mine - manageable debt payments (soon to be none). Not having to worry about how you are going to cover food. Being able to provide the basics while having some money left over. I don't live lavishly and have zero desire to do so. I don't like to be tied to "things." Over 20 an hour is comfortable to me.

Not a lot. Ideally half (or less than half if possible) of my monthly income would go to necessities, the rest would go to whatever I wanted.

Based on a budget I made out up until mid 2015 I should be able to save 15k a year.

Thanks for your input, @sandra_b . $50,000 is roughly what I am aiming for.
I'm glad to hear it's a reasonable budget, esp. for someone living in Vancouver.

Thanks for your input, @sandra_b . $50,000 is roughly what I am aiming for.
I'm glad to hear it's a reasonable budget, esp. for someone living in Vancouver.

Oh absolutely. It's hard for me to fathom how anyone needs that amount of money.

Canada-- probably $60k... that's with trips and saving for the future and such. I've heard I'll need a million dollars to retire... considering I'll probably live longer (well, unless I off myself in my old age or go on some kind of wild suicide run that produces a heart attack), and it's going to be extremely difficult to save that much money.

Probably $200k/year... I could retire early, donate to charity, and start up my own projects instead of nervously budgeting everything on a constant basis and being a mostly selfish douche. I'd also want to avoid tax implications for the higher earners... though it's never been an issue for me so far so I'm not completely sure what happens if you make that much.

Comfortable would be enough to provide a middle class standard of living equal to that enjoyed by my parents, into retirement and death, and then leaving behind assets and savings for children. Desired would be enough to do all of that while also splurging on something luxurious two or three times a year.

If I made that much, basic living probably not much-- maybe 15-20k. My hobbies are pretty cheap, but I do take trips so probably slightly less than 10k/year on trips.

With my dream salary probably most of it-- I'd have a million in a few years. With my current salary I save a little more than half. Not having any debts is pretty nice. I have to admit I'm not uncomfortable right now, but I am pretty paranoid about not having enough money later on and getting fired/downsized, and also I'd like to start my own business later on so I feel like I need to be saving more and will probably cut out the trips.

I quit my job to do a college course 2 years ago and the shock of paying out a lot of money while suddenly not having any income and being forced to live on almost nothing after having a steady income was really awful... if I do lose my job or if something serious happens where I can't work, I don't want to be forced to compromise my current lifestyle... and I do really want to start up my own business...

I am asking this because I will be going out into the work world soon, and am trying to gain an idea of what people think about money with regard to the questions I asked, and also hoping to establish some of my own ideas along the way.

Hello! Seeing as how you are just starting out, this is probably a really good time to think about more than just "wage". Think of other ways to generate income, meaning, small businesses, rental property, investments in 401ks, etc. etc. etc. I don't want a wage, I want to be independently wealthy, and work when I feel like it, for people or groups I deem worthy of the time and energy I invest.

Well... the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want and how much things cost. And let me tell you, a "typical" middle-class lifestyle is waaaaaay more expensive than you might think. Shockingly.

For instance, you can easily spend 5,000 - 7,000 a year on groceries for a family of four! That's a lot, isn't it?

Housing, you figure should cost about 25% of your income -- for a $50,000 a year income, that would be 12,500 a year, which is a $1041 monthly mortgage payment or rent. Depending on the area, you can get a modest home or nicer, 2 bedroom apartment for that amount. (It varies widely). But there you have for housing and food, $18,500 a year, straight off the bat -- not cheap, right?

Depending on transportation options available, you may need a car or a bike, or to pay for parking or subway or bus fees. A decent used car can cost you $10,000, which, if you can't pay cash (and you should!) winds up being about 2,500 a year for 4 years, plus you've got to pay insurance and gas.... so yeah. It adds up fast! So it is worth it to really consider what your actual needs and priorities are.

Utilities, oh... electricity, gas, phone, gosh.. it varies, but that's another several thousand a year, if you like things like hot showers. So, what are we up to? Ballpark, $30,000 a year, and that's before taxes and without a lot of "Extras"

You need to Plan and A Budget. (Capital lettters and bold are intentional)

To answer your main question, I think if it was just me, I could live quite comfortably on about $50 k a year, in a 1 or 2 bedroom townhouse or condo, with a dependable used car for transportation, cooking most meals myself, not doing a whole lot of entertainment, and taking modest vacations maybe once a year. Clothes would be from thrift stores, groceries, tightly planned and budgeted, home, nice & clean but not very large. You could probably save about 15% of your pre-tax wage that way. You will not be living in an apartment overlooking Central Park, having interior decorators and personal trainers, and going to concerts every weekend on that income, nor will you have the newest and nicest of everything, nor will you be partying all over the place. But you can live in a reasonably safe and aesthitically pleasing suburban or urban area on that in most parts of the US on $50,000 a year. (not southern califonia or New York.) It will be decidedly un-flashy, but comfortable.

To really live very comfortably, and to support two children, and have newer and nicer things, I think $100 k a year is a reasonable figure.

Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Soulful
Honestly, I wasn't sure if my estimates were correct, but CAN$50,000 seems to be a good working figure based on what everyone has said. But many people in the US can only dream of that kind of starting salary even with a degree. Especially with the economy, many with a degree are working with a 24,000/yr starting salary if they get a full time job. If you're getting 28,000-30,000/yr to start, you're lucky. Many work for years before getting that kind of salary. And anyone working 30k+ is usually working two or more jobs to make that kind of salary. They usually expect a couple years of work experience to deserve a mid 30k salary or higher.

So, it really varies.

Honestly, I wasn't sure if my estimates were correct, but CAN$50,000 seems to be a good working figure based on what everyone has said. But many people in the US can only dream of that kind of starting salary even with a degree. Especially with the economy, many with a degree are working with a 24,000/yr starting salary if they get a full time job. If you're getting 28,000-30,000/yr to start, you're lucky. Many work for years before getting that kind of salary. And anyone working 30k+ is usually working two or more jobs to make that kind of salary. They usually expect a couple years of work experience to deserve a mid 30k salary or higher.

So, it really varies.

Trust me I did not start at the wage I'm at lol. It took me almost five years and a few promotions... But doubling your wage in 5 years isn't typical either. Most people are not immediately going to jump into a 50k salary with zero experience no matter what country you live in.

Hello! Seeing as how you are just starting out, this is probably a really good time to think about more than just "wage". Think of other ways to generate income, meaning, small businesses, rental property, investments in 401ks, etc. etc. etc. I don't want a wage, I want to be independently wealthy, and work when I feel like it, for people or groups I deem worthy of the time and energy I invest.

Well... the first thing you need to do is figure out what you want and how much things cost. And let me tell you, a "typical" middle-class lifestyle is waaaaaay more expensive than you might think. Shockingly.

For instance, you can easily spend 5,000 - 7,000 a year on groceries for a family of four! That's a lot, isn't it?

Housing, you figure should cost about 25% of your income -- for a $50,000 a year income, that would be 12,500 a year, which is a $1041 monthly mortgage payment or rent. Depending on the area, you can get a modest home or nicer, 2 bedroom apartment for that amount. (It varies widely). But there you have for housing and food, $18,500 a year, straight off the bat -- not cheap, right?

Depending on transportation options available, you may need a car or a bike, or to pay for parking or subway or bus fees. A decent used car can cost you $10,000, which, if you can't pay cash (and you should!) winds up being about 2,500 a year for 4 years, plus you've got to pay insurance and gas.... so yeah. It adds up fast! So it is worth it to really consider what your actual needs and priorities are.

Utilities, oh... electricity, gas, phone, gosh.. it varies, but that's another several thousand a year, if you like things like hot showers. So, what are we up to? Ballpark, $30,000 a year, and that's before taxes and without a lot of "Extras"

You need to Plan and A Budget. (Capital lettters and bold are intentional)

To answer your main question, I think if it was just me, I could live quite comfortably on about $50 k a year, in a 1 or 2 bedroom townhouse or condo, with a dependable used car for transportation, cooking most meals myself, not doing a whole lot of entertainment, and taking modest vacations maybe once a year. Clothes would be from thrift stores, groceries, tightly planned and budgeted, home, nice & clean but not very large. You could probably save about 15% of your pre-tax wage that way. You will not be living in an apartment overlooking Central Park, having interior decorators and personal trainers, and going to concerts every weekend on that income, nor will you have the newest and nicest of everything, nor will you be partying all over the place. But you can live in a reasonably safe and aesthitically pleasing suburban or urban area on that in most parts of the US on $50,000 a year. (not southern califonia or New York.) It will be decidedly un-flashy, but comfortable.

To really live very comfortably, and to support two children, and have newer and nicer things, I think $100 k a year is a reasonable figure.

Hope this helps! :)

Great post.

The only thing you forgot in there was healthcare. Also, sometimes that affordable townhome or condo is only affordable because it is in a bad school district which means you will have to send your child to private school or move where rent or the cost of homes are more expensive.

Is that 100k per person or household?

Thanks! :D I meant $100K for a family of 4, in a "good" (i.e. not slummy, but not a country club) area with good public schools... schools are a huge issue, and you're totally right, housing in areas with the best public schools are expensive. Also, I should note that we're not currently needing day care or after school care, which you'll definitely need for younger children -- that can be $12,000 a year, easy. Health care costs vary -- we've got the cheap "catastrophic" insurance, and have saved up money to cover costs. If you've got babies, the cheap catastrophic insurance is not going to cover it, and you need to plan fotr those costs, or pay more for cushier insurance... bleah....

But $100K per person would also work! :D