Your desired wage | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Your desired wage

60k without OT is comfortable. More than that is very comfortable.

I can't imagine getting a first job that pays 60k. I've always worked my way up into it.

My point about the 50k was that it varies by country and region. The fact that many have mentioned 50k by 20s/early 30s is quite remarkable because that's not the case in many parts of the US. And of course, most would have to work for a few years and have experience to get a higher salary. Point is, even with experience after a few years (about 5-7), most are not making anywhere near $50k. They are more likely to make 28-35k and possibly 40k if they're lucky. There are many who are not earning anywhere near 45-50k even after 10-15 years experience.

My point about the 50k was that it varies by country and region. The fact that many have mentioned 50k by 20s/early 30s is quite remarkable because that's not the case in many parts of the US. And of course, most would have to work for a few years and have experience to get a higher salary. Point is, even with experience after a few years (about 5-7), most are not making anywhere near $50k. They are more likely to make 28-35k and possibly 40k if they're lucky. There are many who are not earning anywhere near 45-50k even after 10-15 years experience.

I hear what you are saying, but I think (at least in Canada) it depends on the profession. It is not unusual for certain professionals to make that amount at entry-level.
It may definitely be more difficult to make that amount without belonging to a professional group.
Then there are, of course, particular areas of work such as medicine, law, dentistry, and so on, that (I imagine/from what I've read) can yield a tremendous salary right off the bat. But that level of financial prestige indeed seems more rare (to my uninformed mind, at least).

ETA: And this isn't meant to contradict your point. I think it's incredibly sad that so many people make so little money. If I was debt free, I could survive on about $20,000 myself. If I had a family, I'd need much more of course. And I know I wouldn't be content with that in the long-term. Yet so many people end up feeling they have to make do with what they have, which of course isn't much. We should all be able to have our basic necessities, and then a little for pleasure, met. And I mean globally, not because we exploit other nations and peoples for our own profit.

Last edited:
Hello! Me again. This is a helpful website where you can compare the cost of living in various US cities and towns, and you see how much it varies:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

A salary of $100,000 in Weston, Connecticut could decrease to $39,642 in Tucson, Arizona, for instance. Big difference! Also, I know when my husband and I were just starting out, we had roommates, so the housing and utilities were significantly reduced -- and that's how people typically make do on a low salary. The budget I was thinking about assumed you lived alone, and it would be pretty challenging to live alone on 30,000 a year, in most situations. Agree with your previous post, too.