Young and idealistic? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Young and idealistic?

I think growing up can make people compromise on their ideals and their causes a bit. Being world weary might persuade some to become more objective when it comes to ideals and causes. Sometimes the ideal way is not the best way.

If you feel strongly about your cause, I would say that you should pursue it with a passion. You can inspire others with that passion, and in a sense you will be the change that you want to see in the world. It all starts with you though.

I think age does make a difference for sure. It depends on what you have lived, and who you surround yourself with also. But often you see people become slightly bitter as life gets in their way, or things don't work out as simply as they had planned, etc. It's not easy to keep believing in your ideal and your sacrifices when things turn out to be much more complicated than you thought.

When you're young everything is possible, you're hungry for living and changing things. But how many people stay that way when they grow older? There are some and those people are very, very precious but overall it's mainly young people you see with that state of mind.
I don't know how it is in America but here in France for example, in general young people vote left, and old people right. To me that says quite a bit about idealism and age.

This said I think INFJs are pretty rational idealists. We will get proper informations and feedback about what it is we want to give or fight for, and try to have a good grasp of the situation and what we can do for it in a more realistic way than other NFs I think. My best friend is an ENFJ and he is so much more idealistic than I am. His main function is a feeling function and he doesn't seem to always grasp all the subtelties of a situation, things to him are rather black and white. Maybe it's better to be like that if you want to change the world. At least you have the will, the revolt in you and you're not going to sit on your ass and wait and pretend it's too complicated.

But by being too idealistic you might have a harder time achieving what you want too, because they people you will have to deal with won't share your point of view, and you won't understand why they can't see it when it's so obvious that it's unfair, etc. Typology here is very helpful.

In the end it's good to have idealism because it's an immense drive, but you have to be able to see that the goal and achievements are more important than the idea of sacrifice and healing the whole world. A dose of realism is necessary. Otherwise you might just achieve nothing by aiming too irrealistically high.

It's funny, Jung talks about the archetype of the sacrificed self at the end of adolescence. Teenagers romanticising self-sacrifice, etc. That fits it very well.

Dying for a cause would be the most an young and in-experienced person can offer to the dream at his current state.

As we grow older that usually changes as we can contribute more to the dream living than dead, hence the change in our decisions upon how to best serve the dream.

I have never wanted to die for a cause, never considered it and I don't think I will.

Dying is for stupid people who wouldn't have been able to contribute with their brains in the first place. (kidding.... but there may be something to that. Just think, when you die who are you leaving the responsibility of the cause to? Can you trust them? Are they just as capable, if at all, without you?)

I'd rather hang around for the outcome and be able to help when needed, etc.
Do I trust people entirely when my back is turned?... no. But that's me.

My experience is that my passion for my causes and my desire to make the world a better place hasn't diminished with age, but my approach may have changed and it started changing fairly early in life. When I was 22, I saw four young people at Kent State shot down and killed during an anti-war demonstration. Though the shockwaves from this event were felt around the world and the shootings led to an increase in violence in the anti-war movement, there's no evidence that I can find that the sacrifice of these four people and the nine others who were wounded did anything to shorten the duration of the Vietnam War.

Though I have been--and still am--involved in several causes (e.g., the disability-rights movement, the movement--if it can be called a movement--to remove the stigma surrounding mental illness), even as a relatively young person, I felt that the pen was mightier than the sword and have devoted my time to educating the world about these issues by writing about them.

I find wisdom, not a diminishment of passion, in both the J.D. Salinger and the Ghandi quotes. In my opinion, it takes much more strength to live for your cause than to die for it.

I felt that the pen was mightier than the sword

This is how I've always felt/what I've had instilled in me. Hence why I will not simply die for a cause but become part of it, implement it's many details and demontrate what it is to embrace and believe in it. Unless planned out and cosidered very carefully I don't think death is the best form of devotion. It's honourable and makes people think, wow, that person really believed in what they stood up for, but it never tells people why. Why you were so willing to give up and devote life for this one matter. Why they should be concerned with a matter so serious it is supported by the souls of it's devotees.
I think death can add estigma to the cause and scare away support that may have otherwise come your way.

Last edited:
Reactions: anica
I found a lot of wisdom here:). Yes I realize that I can achieve a lot more by not lying six feet under but still I am stubborn as hell about my risk taking. I can though find a lot of similarities. Thousands of young people were eager to fight in both World Wars although they were aware of the risks.

Someone mentioned that you don't have many close relations at my age which I find pretty correct. When having a family, you might reevaluate your recklessness:m133:(god I love the monkeys)
I need to contemplate a bit more.