Would you be a carpenter? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Would you be a carpenter?

Would you be a carpenter? (or similar occupation)

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • For a limited time

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have a list of jobs that i would totally do if i were a guy... woodworking/construction would be on that list... as well as auto mechanic and/or garbage man...

Sexist.

No.

I would rather pay a carpenter, than be one. I guess I like the end product, but not the process involved.

I don't think you have to be a guy, but I guess in some cases it can help a little.

I never bought into gender role personally. I do what I damn well set my mind to. :p This has included working on cars, building stuff, and even working in a factory.

I actually like cars in a being fascinated by machines sense. But I dislike them in a too many of them driving by my house and being obnoxious sense.

yeah, it’s not about gender roles for me personally... i took auto shop in high school and really enjoyed it... one day i would like to buy a classic car that i could fix up and maintain myself...

to be honest, part of it is more about the type of person *generalizing here* i’d be working around and the type of person i know i am... been there done that... i’ve worked in a male dominated industry and shop before and working around a bunch of apes isn’t for me... i’m not saying that all or even most people and situations are like this but it’s not for me... i didn't like the unwanted attention and i didn’t like the lack of communication skills of that particular job... i did like being the underdog and doing well in spite of that...

Reactions: bionic

cos_028_gil_elvgren_the_wrong_nail.jpg

I was given an introduction to woodworking for its practical value. I like being able to fix things around the home on my own, as they come up, rather than pay a service fee for someone else to do it. Knowing what is and is not a good deal when shopping for things beyond my skill level, or even for redecorating, is also useful. I am unsure if I could do it as a career, however; while I have a creative spark for tasks of creation, I have neither the passion nor personal pride to invest for high quality work.

No.

I would rather pay a carpenter, than be one. I guess I like the end product, but not the process involved.

There is a sermon illustration in there somewhere.

No, I don't find that work interesting.

The buzzsaw could come in handy though.

There is a sermon illustration in there somewhere.

Huh?

Different members of a body have different functions: eyes to see, ears to see...etc. Carpenters to build... ?
Or: A carpenter ensures the internal physical structure of a Christian Church is sound; whereas a priest ensures the interior spiritual structure of a Christian carpenter is sound?

Anyhow, I agree with those who said that basic carpentry skills are useful; but practicing the trade would be burdensome.

No, I don't enjoy that sort of thing, and it is very easy to hurt yourself doing it with all the power tools and such. Also, it would probably be very difficult to make money doing it.

Huh?

Different members of a body have different functions: eyes to see, ears to see...etc. Carpenters to build... ?
Or: A carpenter ensures the internal physical structure of a Christian Church is sound; whereas a priest ensures the interior spiritual structure of a Christian carpenter is sound?

Anyhow, I agree with those who said that basic carpentry skills are useful; but practicing the trade would be burdensome.

I was thinking about trying to buy your way into heaven and the reward of hard work.(not saying that you don't work of course)

Hmm and to think that I am nothing more than a useful idiot... Guess I chose the wrong profession....​

My father does it as hobby and I find that I too enjoy working with my hands (and investing time/energy) to create something worthwhile (well.. worthwhile in my own eyes).

If I happened to fall into and I enjoyed it a great deal/loved doing it.. I would, without a doubt, pursue it as a profession.
As it stand now, I have other pursuits that I feel are more worthy of my time and energy... so it doesn't look to be in the cards for me (but it might become a hobby someday).

Reading the comments in this thread makes me realize why this career is not a profitable choice. It seems that it is seen as more of a hobby than an actual craft. Try to make something look good out of a piece of wood some time. It requires a considerable amount of skill to do this job. Problem is people think it is easy or not worth paying for. Eventually when no one wants to do this job you will see the folly of your ways when there is no one to fix or build your stuff. It is happening. I see it around me every day. With each passing year there are less and less people willing to do the work.

When I did plumbing the majority of the workforce was illegal aliens. How do I know? They told me. They are the ones replacing those who no longer choose to work in the trades. That is another job requirement speaking spanish. Your going to need it...​

Hmm and to think that I am nothing more than a useful idiot... Guess I chose the wrong profession....​

It beats being a useless idiot like me.

Anyhow, if one can make a living from what one is good at - or enjoys - he's the winner.

If you had to do the job I do for a week, I think you would be more philosophical about the false benefits of other jobs. You are fortunate to have a job you can enjoy.

Last edited:
I think people vastly underestimate the amount of money you can make from good work. Especially cabinetry, a custom kitchen can run between 7-13k minus about 1k in costs depending on size and materials. That work can be completed in about a month, do the math.

Building guitars can be a very profitable business as well. Jim Olsen builds acoustic guitars. Roughly puts out maybe 40 guitars in 6 months and makes almost $500,000. The rest of the year is spent on vacation.
Michael Greenefield sells guitars at $30,000, Ken Parker makes arch tops with a similar price range. If you put in the work, effort, and make profitable business decisions, you'll gain positive reputation and be able to push your business forward. Carpentry is severely underrated because it just isn't thought of a lot, but wood working can be extremely complex if you need to understand it that deeply.
Here's a photo I took from a book called "Wood as an Engineering Material"
942407_10151348901721836_1673526456_n.jpg

It beats being a useless idiot like me.

Anyhow, if one can make a living from what one is good at - or enjoys - he's the winner.

If you had to do the job I do for a week, I think you would be more philosophical about the false benefits of other jobs. You are fortunate to have a job you can enjoy.

Ahh enjoyment. Sometimes. When I am making people cabinets all they are worried about is the price. The quality of the work is not a major concern. Unless it looks like crap then they will care. Most people are perfectly happy with the modular cabinets they can get. Custom handmade to fit cabinets like I make are no longer the norm. Their are guys doing it though. Although I see a lot of them giving up. Materials have went way up. Problem is we cannot reflect that price increase in our bids. I know it sounds silly but if I increase my price I will be under bid. Remember quality means nothing. Most decisions are based on price. I had a few contractors beat me down on price and then they tell me they expect the same quality and materials. I made wages. Paid the rent and a little labor on the job and that was it.

It is why I decided to get into plumbing. People tend to not care how much it costs as long as they don't have to deal with poo and it's associated sweet smells going through their house. But it was not to be. At least working for my Father in law. Right now I am trying to figure out what I am going to do next. I have tired of giving my work away for what are essentially starting out wages. There are too many jobs to do when you do cabinets. I make face frames doors drawers sand and finish the cabinets and then install them. It's just me and my Dad. So the quality is ours from start to finish. It's a lot of work for two old guys. We have done two jobs this year. And I am living in a travel trailer because of the lack of work. Been here fighting for a year.

So I am thinking furniture. Just cause it is one piece at a time. Start to finish. It's not a whole bunch of boxes with doors. It is art to me. And I would rather be doing that than cabinets. And I have made some pieces over the years. And got paid nicely to do them. That is why I am looking at furniture again. I figure if I can make a piece that is so nice that it will sell it's self for a decent price maybe I can dig myself out of this hole I got thrown into. Al though it's a pretty deep hole. I can barely see daylight some days....

Reactions: Flavus Aquila