Would you be a carpenter? | INFJ Forum

Would you be a carpenter?

Would you be a carpenter? (or similar occupation)

• Yes

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • For a limited time

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could be, yes. I quite enjoyed that kind stuff when I was still in school.
So yeah. There is something nice about working with wood like that. Making that piece of dead wood into something useful and beautiful.

I could be, but I'd prefer to do it on the side. I've built cabinets, put up and finished drywall, done some plumbing, and a host of miscellaneous things. I enjoy it, but doing it for a living would leave me little time to enjoy the host of other things I like to do. Some of my family members are carpenters and they often work 12-15 hr days and are physically exhausted at the end of each day.

Last edited:
I don't this is what is meant when people talk about following Jesus.

Reactions: jyrffw54
Would you be a furniture maker, carpenter, or craftsman?
Why? or why not?

I am one. It can be a very fun job. It just depends on what kind of work you want to do. I would recommend that you learn from a lot of different people. That way you can learn the different construction methods. And choose the type that you like and that works for you. Everyone has their own style...

Reactions: rawr
Absolutely! I love to craft things my own way, and build things myself. I've done a great variety of hands-on projects from metal working, to sowing/knitting my own clothes, to growing my vegetables and flowers.

Woodwork is definitely next on my list. I love me some desks and cabinets with lots of secret compartments and drawers. Those, I suspect, would be exciting and fun projects. :)

As far as it being a career/occupation choice, no I wouldn't. It is not lucrative enough these days for what I want for myself and my famiy.

Reactions: Kgal and rawr
I built an airplane once. Rebuilt the entire wing out of Spruce and Mahogany. I did not make a lot of money doing it. I got the satisfaction of knowing it won 1st place at Osh Kosh though. For me the money is nice but not the reason I do this job.

When I was working in DC as a service plumber I got to go into some very nice buildings. You would not believe some of the elevators in these buildings. Birds Eye Maple and Walnut trim. I know they were not cheap to build. And the quality was insane! Those private jets have wood in them. They pay very well to have craftsmen install all the wood in them. If you specialize you will make good money. It's all really up to you and what you can live with as Odyne says...​

I like the idea of working with wood and admire the skill it takes. I've thought working on making small tables or decorate wood furniture, so smaller pieces. I'd love to make miniature furniture or dollhouses if I didn't have to worry about money. But making large pieces and bigger structures? probably not.

NO

i'm too crumsy. i will ruin all my projects and chop my fingers off. also tiny airborne wood particles will enter my lungs and i will die of asthma.

Reactions: Gaze
if i was good at it yes, i enjoy working with my hands. sadly, i'm not too good at that kind of stuff.

voted yes.

I got photos of stuff I have worked on too. Did not want to clog this thread up....

Last edited:
I gotta get back to work. I am taking photos of what I am doing with these hickory tops. I just filled the knot holes and voids with resin. And it is now time to go sand them. I will post some pics if anyone is interested. I am hoping to spray it with lacquer tonight. I made two of them. They really look different with the finish on them....

I absolutely love wood working. I think I prefer working with smaller details than grand ideas. I have a lot of fun working with a sharp micro chisel trying to make that taper look just right. It's really taught me how to appreciate hard, good work.

I wouldn't want to, but I admire those who are talented in that manner.

I would much rather design for one.

Also note that carpentry is good for the environment provided that trees are harvested correctly.

Making things out of wood is one of the best ways to sequester carbon out of the air. This is because a forest that achieves equilibrium in its growth does not sequester any more carbon - only expanding forests do that.

Why though? Because if a forest has equilibrium where new trees only replace dead trees, the net level of carbon stays the same because dead trees decay and release all the carbon they were holding. This however does not happen if that wood never decays - if you build something with it and keep it around.

i have a list of jobs that i would totally do if i were a guy... woodworking/construction would be on that list... as well as auto mechanic and/or garbage man...

i have a list of jobs that i would totally do if i were a guy... woodworking/construction would be on that list... as well as auto mechanic and/or garbage man...

I don't think you have to be a guy, but I guess in some cases it can help a little.

I never bought into gender role personally. I do what I damn well set my mind to. :p This has included working on cars, building stuff, and even working in a factory.

I actually like cars in a being fascinated by machines sense. But I dislike them in a too many of them driving by my house and being obnoxious sense.

Yes absolutely, craftsmanship is a lot of fun. I could see myself finding it a really fulfilling job especially if I was able to get into a design niche and rack up a good clientele.

I have done some wood carving in the past and that was really fun, although it can be an expensive hobby.