Would Dreams Lie to You?

bickelz

BOINK
Jan 1, 2011
MBTI
infj
Enneagram
4w5
Alright, so its been said that dreams are the window into ones subconscious and I think that holds true. When you are asleep, your conscious is at the mercy of the subconscious.

The subconscious speaks symbolically in a language that is unique to you. Yet, there are universal dreams and symbols that seem to have a universal meaning. Such as a well lit room or a bright, sunny day meaning that you're thinking clearly about something in your waking life.

Some interpretations of symbols aren't entirely correct. At least, that is my assumption when researching the meanings of my dreams on the internet.

My question to you: Do you think that your dreams or subconscious would lie to you about how you really feel in your waking life? Another way of putting it might be, does the conscious know your deepest desires better than your subconscious?

2nd Line of Questioning: Can the conscious mind, while awake, put ideas into it's own subconscious and then make the subconscious believe that it is the way the organism really is? Would this inception cause the subconscious to reassure the conscious into being something that it is not?

Or...
Is the subconscious always true to itself? Never straying from it's true wants ad desires.

The reason I bring this up i because I have been trying to interpret my dreams lately to see how my subconscious feels about me being gay or not. I just wanted to tap into my feelings at their deepest level. Now, the interpretations I have came across say that I am thinking clearly about the subject.

If my conscious mind came to the realization that I am gay, theoretically, my dreams would go two separate ways. Either it would say that I think clearly and am right about being gay or not. But if the conscious were to accept the fact, would the subconscious tell me I am thinking clearly even if I am wrong about it?

Just food for thought. I am about 99% sure I'm straight up gay but I've been through relapses before where I just try to deny it. I thought that looking into my subconscious would tell me for certain but I just wondered about this last night.

The Unconscious (according to Jungians) performs a compensatory function. If the conscious mind were to repress a feeling, desire, emotion, way of being or perceiving(....and bunches of other stuff) then the unconscious would allow the energy of the repressed...whatever...to enter consciousness by another means. As a dream, or a sudden slip of the tongue, or a moment of doing something while not fully aware of it, a bizarre coincidence, an outburst......

In a dream, the unconscious's use of imagery and language can take on the aspect of poetry and abstract art, it can pun, it can be sarcastic, ironic, inane. Usually the conscious part of the mind has no idea what the unconscious part of the mind is trying to convey, and the unconscious part speaks from a state of non consciousness which in itself is alien to consciousness.

Knowing you self ("your deepest desires") is bringing the repressed stuff (all of it) into the full light of conscious thought, dreams are only one path that stuff has to the conscious eye.

that said, I could be totally wrong.

Don't think of the subconscious as necessarily separate from the conscious. Your subconscious is an extension of your conscious mind so to speak.

Do you believe yourself to be gay in your conscious mind?

Alright, so its been said that dreams are the window into ones subconscious and I think that holds true. When you are asleep, your conscious is at the mercy of the subconscious.

The subconscious speaks symbolically in a language that is unique to you. Yet, there are universal dreams and symbols that seem to have a universal meaning. Such as a well lit room or a bright, sunny day meaning that you're thinking clearly about something in your waking life.

Some interpretations of symbols aren't entirely correct. At least, that is my assumption when researching the meanings of my dreams on the internet.

My question to you: Do you think that your dreams or subconscious would lie to you about how you really feel in your waking life? Another way of putting it might be, does the conscious know your deepest desires better than your subconscious?

2nd Line of Questioning: Can the conscious mind, while awake, put ideas into it's own subconscious and then make the subconscious believe that it is the way the organism really is? Would this inception cause the subconscious to reassure the conscious into being something that it is not?

Or...
Is the subconscious always true to itself? Never straying from it's true wants ad desires.

The reason I bring this up i because I have been trying to interpret my dreams lately to see how my subconscious feels about me being gay or not. I just wanted to tap into my feelings at their deepest level. Now, the interpretations I have came across say that I am thinking clearly about the subject.

If my conscious mind came to the realization that I am gay, theoretically, my dreams would go two separate ways. Either it would say that I think clearly and am right about being gay or not. But if the conscious were to accept the fact, would the subconscious tell me I am thinking clearly even if I am wrong about it?

Just food for thought. I am about 99% sure I'm straight up gay but I've been through relapses before where I just try to deny it. I thought that looking into my subconscious would tell me for certain but I just wondered about this last night.

Just general comments I want to make.. This topic is interesting.. *Cracks knuckles*

Point A.) I tested whether or not dreams were accurate. I dreamt a few years ago the phildalphia eagles would win the superbowl. I said, alright, well lets see if that comes true. Never happend.

Point B.) First, forget about the conscience and subconscience, people believe these to be so true, including myself, even though it's just a theory.. I view dreams as little organizers and problem solvers, they organize thoughts, the way they do it is they come up with some random f*ing sh*t, I figure sleeping is the best time to come up with random crap, if you did this while awake you'd be hallucinating. But the brain probably knows that this is the most efficient way of organizing things..

Point C.) (In response to question 2) I said forget about the subconscience and conscience already!! Jk. I think you probably can believe a lie, it's a defense mechanism called da nile. But your subconscience is no dummy, it's going to reject things that doesn't make sense at all. You should try it one day though, I heard if you tell yourself something enough you believe it. For instance if you told yourself you were a hellicopter you'd be like.. "f no I'm not a hellicopter". But if you told yourself it a million times, I think you would try putting up your arms and spinning at least once, when nobody is around of course..

Point D.) I wouldn't put a label on this.. you are what you are. The label of gay/strait is causing you mental strain and confusion. Forget about. It.

Point E.) Never listen to a user named donkeybals

Reactions: Nixie
[MENTION=3545]bickelz[/MENTION] do you find yourself more aroused by men, women, both or neither? I understand that you can have arousal to all these but which would you say you find most arousing?

I typed out a bad ass response to this (which was very long, because that's just how I roll) and then I got an error, but now I have to leave. Ultimately my point was that you have control over your conscious thought and your subconscious reflects that, so decide what you want and that will be reflected with positive thinking. :)

PS meditation helps me think clearer when I'm making tough decisions. Maybe try that?

I typed out a bad ass response to this (which was very long, because that's just how I roll) and then I got an error, but now I have to leave. Ultimately my point was that you have control over your conscious thought and your subconscious reflects that, so decide what you want and that will be reflected with positive thinking.

PS meditation helps me think clearer when I'm making tough decisions. Maybe try that?

Haha. This happend to me before. And more than once..

[MENTION=3255]Sali[/MENTION], sorry for not responding. I had to get to class.

I'm aroused by men very rarely by women. Really in the past month or so is when I have been noticing it increasingly. As far back as I can remember, I remember being attracted to guys but I was really repressed socially and sexually as a child by my father (not abused, just repressed). I think about the "attraction" I had to some girls in high school and wonder if I was actually attracted to them or if that was just a manifestation of what I felt I was supposed to be doing rather than how I actually felt.

My struggle with this has come from the shit definition of what attraction is or what it feels like. I did get nervous around some girls but only after I had a period of time to romanticize a potential relationship with them. I never really felt attracted to them, more so to a relationship and I only pursued one like twice in high school. For that to even happen, I needed external approval (not actually approval but the word is slipping my mind). In other words, I would really only start to like a girl after someone else told me that she was pretty/attractive. Then I would romanticize them and then get nervous when they show up. That's not actual attraction.

Attraction is like a pull towards someone that you feel (well duh). I've felt that around many other guys and I do get really nervous around a few in particular.

Well, I wasn't really planning on spilling this on this thread but rather on my blog. I'll go into it deeper in the coming weeks. If you think I'm mad or something cause I'm stopping, I'm not. I just need to organize and think about this more.

I was just wondering if your conscious mind could influence your subconscious or if your subconscious always knows your true desires.

I'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on your blog when you get them more organized and laid out. (Not that I think they aren't clear now). I do find it interesting that you frame attraction in the stance of nervousness. Because for me attraction is usually initially sexual. However you could possibly be pansexual or demisexual, I don't understand exactly why it is that you need a label for it though, couldn't you just go after who you feel attracted to regardless of gender?

as for the conscious and the subconscious, they are more supportive of each other than separate.

I'm intrigued to hear your thoughts on your blog when you get them more organized and laid out. (Not that I think they aren't clear now). I do find it interesting that you frame attraction in the stance of nervousness. Because for me attraction is usually initially sexual. However you could possibly be pansexual or demisexual, I don't understand exactly why it is that you need a label for it though, couldn't you just go after who you feel attracted to regardless of gender?

as for the conscious and the subconscious, they are more supportive of each other than separate.

Well, I feel like I need a label. I know that whole "no labels" thing but it won't work in my case. I want my friends and family to know but I have to be sure before I say anything to them since that is one of the questions they may ask me. I have to know why. I was very repressed as a child by my dad so I need things that are uniquely me to be labeled as such.

I'm also the only boy in my generation. I have all sisters and girl cousins. People be wantin' to know why I'm not dating right now.

I'm positive I ain't demisexual or pansexual.

The reason I need a label is for self reassurance that I am me and not my father, essentially.

I guess I was looking for a straight answer to a complicated question. Oh well, I just need to go for it.

Well, I feel like I need a label. I know that whole "no labels" thing but it won't work in my case. I want my friends and family to know but I have to be sure before I say anything to them since that is one of the questions they may ask me. I have to know why. I was very repressed as a child by my dad so I need things that are uniquely me to be labeled as such.

I'm also the only boy in my generation. I have all sisters and girl cousins. People be wantin' to know why I'm not dating right now.

I'm positive I ain't demisexual or pansexual.

The reason I need a label is for self reassurance that I am me and not my father, essentially.

I guess I was looking for a straight answer to a complicated question. Oh well, I just need to go for it.

Well I do understand the need for labels in some people, I personally need the label "heterosexual" because I don't at all identify with being able to be attracted to males although I am somewhat sexually attracted to myself but that's kinda weird XD.

From the sounds of it though you would identify best with the gay label I think and I believe your doubt about it is just because it's not what your family would deem "normal" by what you're saying.

Hope that helps, but it's complicated so idk.

Or...
I don't think subconscious would lie, but we can be mistaken on reading the subconscious itself.

This is just something I thought of my own, so feel free to disagree;
Within deciphering the subconscious, there may be problems in amount, content, and meaning. It depends regarding on how well you know yourself / your subconscious, the complexity of the problem and the complexity of the factors you considered (for instance, your self vs the moral implication & your egoism & your tendencies & your fears & bla bla bla)

When it's something simple like, "I like them." "I dislike them.", "I don't like this.", it would be easier, but when you're thinking of something more complex, "Am I being egoistical, paranoid self-preservative or just plain ignorant if I did A?", and trying to read your own subconscious..the risk of getting mixed messages would be easier. Because for each questions / matters, your subconscious have its/his/her own answers.

I would echo the suggestion for doing meditation; it helps sorting your mind.

As for the second line, I personally think of it as adding a brick during building. It will help creating that, probably even changing the shape a bit, but the original building's still there and there's no changing that

For the last; yes. But be aware that there might have been other desires you don't know (at least consciously.)

Last edited:
You have got to be shitting me.

Do you lie to yourself?
Yes. 'Tis the beauty of the human perspective.
This being the case, yes, your dreams lie to you.

There is always truth in my dreams.

I never look at my dreams literally....because usually (at least in my case, the literal meaning is not the true meaning)

My dreams guide me me in times of stress, and give me warning/insight otherwise. Sometimes it's vague, others it's crystal clear.

To answer your question, I say that it can go both ways, but most of the time, dreams seem to be unrelated to the conscious...unless in times of great stress/heavy mental stimulation

Sometimes they do. I once had a dream where my crush liked me back.

You have got to be shitting me.

Do you lie to yourself?
Yes. 'Tis the beauty of the human perspective.
This being the case, yes, your dreams lie to you.

That would be the concsious mind lying to itself, not the unconscious mind giving the conscious mind false beliefs about what is happening in the waking life. And no, I'm not shitting you.

Well, dreams are usually symbolic. The fact that he liked you back probably means something other than the literal meaning.

To have a dream that a crush likes you back means that you are feeling worthy and esteemed, I believe.

I don't think it matters either way. In the end, it's up to the conscious mind to reflect and react to the dreams the unconscious mind produces (I think, I always lucid dream, so the idea of not being in control of what happens in my dreams is alien to me...).