Would Dreams Lie to You? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Would Dreams Lie to You?

In the end, it's up to the conscious mind to reflect and react to the dreams the unconscious mind produces

Yeah, but there is the theory that what the unconscious mind produces at night corresponds to something that is happening to the conscious mind when awake.

Yeah, but there is the theory that what the unconscious mind produces at night corresponds to something that is happening to the conscious mind when awake.

Maybe, but the mind is a difficult thing to study especially the subconscious. There are no controls and too many variables change at once.

Also the symbolism is supposed to only be relevant to your personal interpretation of symbols. At least according to Jung.

Last edited:

More or less I was commenting on the relevance of the idea whether dreams lie to you or not. Regardless of the answer to the question, it seems irrelevant if the dreamer refuses to acknowledge the dreams with anything more than "oh, it was just a dream." It's a difficult topic to discuss, I think, because of how capable people are to lying to themselves on a day-to-day basis. If someone doesn't like what they dream of, chances are they'll convince themselves that it means nothing (unless they live on Elm Street, in which case other people will try to convince them of that...). If they dream of themselves as a person who possesses traits they dislike, I'd think they'd discount the dream. On the flip side of the coin, if they like the dream, they'll try to derive a conscious, real world meaning from it.

I just want it to go on record that I don't mean to disrespect the topic at all by calling it irrelevant. I find the dreams of others, especially non-lucid dreamers, to be fascinating, and this idea had me thinking a lot about the subject. However, like I said before, it is up to the individual to respond to their dreams and either accept or deny them through a 'rational' approach. If they accept or deny the dream really doesn't affect, I think, the truthfulness of the person. Rather, it reflects what the person sees to be true.