Working hard vs. working smart | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Working hard vs. working smart

I'd agree. I am a disorganized procrastinator..
But I am also very resourceful and that is the root of my achievements.

Ugh. disorganization = soulful's method? check. procrastination = ...well, I'm sure you get the idea. (insert a non-self pitying sad face)

I need to learn to work smarter. Otherwise, well, I'd rather not think of it.

I'd agree. I am a disorganized procrastinator..
But I am also very resourceful and that is the root of my achievements.

I engineering circles we polite proclaim this as 'successful turd polishing'.

Its the secret of staying sane under pressure.

Working hard is working smart.

To me working smarter means figuring out how the overall system works. It is figuring out that paying 20 people to move cinder blocks for a 3rd party interest and taking a cut off the top of the labor costs is more beneficial financially than moving those blocks yourself. It also unties your hands and allows you to do this with 100 more 3rd parties that need a similar service received. You move away from the hard physical work aspect of the business and more into the business of marketing to your consumers and generating interest in the service in general.

I've always thought that was a rather stupid saying. Unless you're the luckiest person on Earth there are times when working smart isn't enough and you'll have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty to do the "hard work". I suppose I learned this attitude in school where I majored in the most difficult engineering field (Chemical Engineering) and although I'm quite intelligent and smart, there were many times where I struggled due to the sheer difficulty of the course material. At those times I was seriously kicking myself for not majoring in something easier like Aeronautical Engineering or just take a 24/7 vacay and major in Business. lol

Amen.

I used to focus on the former at the cost of my health. I've smartened up since then.

I really believe that when I first start something new (whether it be paid work or not) working hard is a good base to build from. It helps develop habits quicker, shows dedication, and helps some of the simpler aspects of the job become routine and second nature. After a while though I think it is very important to start moving in the "working smarter" side of the scale... Eventually if you don't start using sensible short-cuts then you will be the one left behind working your tail off.