[Film Club] - Worf: A Failure At Everything | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

[Film Club] Worf: A Failure At Everything

Shit, that was the Kevin Sorbo thing, wasn't it?

Jup, that was Hercules.

That said, it sounds like a cool concept. I imagine any number of things could bring about the end of the Federation. DS9 (and Voyager, tangentially) did explore this a bit with the Maquis storyline, i.e. a sect of individuals rebelling against a Federation directive. It would be interesting to see a series based around a non-Starfleet perspective.

They could do that instead of Star Trek Discovery. Or Amazon could do that and they can battle one another directly, just like Marvel and DC (tbh that's not really a battle).

They could do that instead of Star Trek Discovery. Or Amazon could do that and they can battle one another directly, just like Marvel and DC (tbh that's not really a battle).

I actually think it would go over well. The overwhelming majority of Trek people wanted the new spinoff to be set in or around the latter-day Trek canon.

I actually think it would go over well. The overwhelming majority of Trek people wanted the new spinoff to be set in or around the latter-day Trek canon.

It leaves much more things open, since you aren't constricted by a certain frame of reference. Well, dumb decisions. We'll watch it anyway, and they keep making bad decisions. I like the idea of a stream-provider war better :smilingimp:

I don't wish to drive you against me, I just saw this and thought it might be nice to share and discuss this with you, even if it drives us a bit off topic (sorry). Doesn't mean that I necessarily endorse this theory, but it's an interesting perspective.

Long live the Terran Empire!

I can't believe I watched the whole thing, that guy is SO annoying. Interesting theory though. However while I find it interesting I disagree with it for a couple of reasons. It's obviously cherry picked. Not all vessels in the show are either Federation or manned by hostile races. Federation is obviously allied with a bunch of other species that conduct their affairs outside of the Federation, Vulcans being a prominent example (in fact I have seen some theories on YT about how the Vulcans are the ones pulling all the strings in the Federation and acting in ways this guy says Federation does. P'Jem monastery incident anyone?) Although for better or worse, Federation IS the main government body and it does have a far reaching scope, and corruption within of course, despite its purported benevolent nature. But the main reason why I disagree is the fact he bases the majority of his arguments on the 2009 and post movies, which are not canon per se.

Cardassians make more compelling fascists. :p

Worf was a mixed bag for me. His absurd rigidity in adhering to Klingon cultural norms certainly created a lot of comic moments (intentional and otherwise) and a fair share of frustration, yet I always found myself rooting for him because his intentions were always good and yes, honorable.

As with Chief O'Brien I enjoyed Worf's character a lot more on DS9 (except for that atrocious episode where he ruined everyone's vacation on Risa :persevere:) than on TNG.
The best thing about Worf is Michael Dorn, as obvious as it might be to say that. Dorn is a terrific actor and nails the straight man character that Worf was at certain comedic junctures in TNG without it feeling forced or unusual in the slightest. Here's a clip of him (Worf or Dorn, whichever you want to say) getting right to the heart of everything with one word:

Saying it all with one word, reminds me of my ISTJ friend.

Dorn doesn't get nearly enough credit, everyone talks about how great Stewart and Spiner are, but Michael Dorn is fucking fantastic. You also have to keep in mind how much the original series would have sucked without Leonard Nimoy, possibly the best casting for a TV show in recorded human history. Everything we have about Vulcans comes from Nimoy, even the Vulcan salute was his idea. There's a documentary on Netflix about him, I would recommend it to people who don't even like Star Trek it's just... fascinating.

Long live the Terran Empire!

There are two types of people, people who like the mirror universe because it's a nice story-telling device to show how fucked up everything would be if everyone in the future was a greedy, murderous, self-centered jackass. And the other type of people are greedy, murderous, self-centered jackasses who like the mirror universe because it reminds them of themselves.

I'm the former, I hope.

EDIT: I've watched the mirror intro to Enterprise a million times and you've given me an excuse to watch it again, thank you :)

The best thing about Worf is Michael Dorn, as obvious as it might be to say that. Dorn is a terrific actor and nails the straight man character that Worf was at certain comedic junctures in TNG without it feeling forced or unusual in the slightest. Here's a clip of him (Worf or Dorn, whichever you want to say) getting right to the heart of everything with one word:

Saying it all with one word, reminds me of my ISTJ friend.

Dorn doesn't get nearly enough credit, everyone talks about how great Stewart and Spiner are, but Michael Dorn is fucking fantastic. You also have to keep in mind how much the original series would have sucked without Leonard Nimoy, possibly the best casting for a TV show in recorded human history. Everything we have about Vulcans comes from Nimoy, even the Vulcan salute was his idea. There's a documentary on Netflix about him, I would recommend it to people who don't even like Star Trek it's just... fascinating.

Ha, the source of the infamous Picard facepalm image. :grinning: And yes, Michael Dorn was great as Worf. Really all these actors were very convincing in their roles. It's what made the series great.

I do love TNG as a brilliant illustration of MBTI types. Just in that clip you've got - Picard (INTJ), Riker (ESFP), Troi (INFJ), Q (ENTP), Worf (ISxJ, some say F, others T). Nevermind Data, the essential INTP. :blush:

Ha, the source of the infamous Picard facepalm image. :grinning: And yes, Michael Dorn was great as Worf. Really all these actors were very convincing in their roles. It's what made the series great.

I do love TNG as a brilliant illustration of MBTI types. Just in that clip you've got - Picard (INTJ), Riker (ESFP), Troi (INFJ), Q (ENTP), Worf (ISxJ, some say F, others T). Nevermind Data, the essential INTP. :blush:
@infinite dreams let's see if you get this Star Trek reference: whenever i'm listening to one of my friends talk about their problems sometimes I absorb all the information but just have no idea what to say. So in the future i'm considering just saying "I am not programmed to respond in that area"

Reactions: Free
Worf always reminded me of my brother, ISTJ. Everything fell under duty and honor and anything that went against his personal code infuriated him. He was also the kindest, if not the warmest, and caring person when it came to his family, but only when it came to his family. :p

Reactions: Free and Reason