Why the Enneagram is negative | INFJ Forum

Why the Enneagram is negative

Discussion in 'Enneagram' started by KazeCraven, Aug 11, 2010.

Share This Page

More threads by KazeCraven
  1. KazeCraven

KazeCraven Graduated from Typology : May 2011
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    In case you haven't already been made aware:

Above is a quote from an author who has written at least a couple of books about the Enneagram.

[​IMG]

Above is an image from here: http://www.enneagraminstitute.com/extendedsample.asp?flash

The enneagram institute shows that at the highest level of development we self-actualize and stop identifying with our type-specific self-image. This one still sounds like our most developed level is type influenced, but it is clear that we must overcome most of our personality to get there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    the likes this.
  2. TinyBubbles

TinyBubbles anarchist

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    ^.^
    Enneagram:
    which, from the perspective of the true, or spiritual, self, are nine illusions about life; and that illusion is the natural starting place for both psychological and spiritual growth.

woah, that's fascinating. i knew the enneagram had an insubstantial basis, but i didn't realize to what extent. that description makes it sound almost like a religion.

then again, the MBTI isn't exactly concrete science either.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NeverAmI

NeverAmI Satisclassifaction
    Retired Staff

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFP
    Enneagram:
    5w4
    Moved to enneagram subforum.

4. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Enneagram is based on inherent fears. That's of course going to be a negative starting point. However, how people handle, compensate for, and overcome those fears is also the basis for Enneagram, so it's essentially a negative to positive system.

Enneagram is also based on a volume of conjecture and assumption with very little scientific evidence, so it's easy to equate it to religion. MBTI is similar, in that there is a lot of conjecture and assumption, but there is much more scientific evidence supporting the MBTI as well as a scientific approach to the system which includes acknowledgment of the possibility of error for a multitude of reasons. I'm not saying MBTI is perfectly valid by any means, just that it's more scientific in approach, while agreeing that Enneagram is more 'religion' in approach.

5. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    Yeah, I don't really care for the Enneagram anymore. All I know is that the path of a type 4 seems the most motivating to me, so I learned to actively seek depth and intensity (both of emotion and experience). Whether or not I am actually a type 4 is unimportant to me, especially considering the goal is transcendence of type anyway.

6. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    Exactly what I was thinking about today. The best feature of the Enneagram was to get me to analyze my motivations. I'm motivated by a need to be loved, a refusal to be controlled, and a deep core of idealism. It doesn't matter which of these is the most affecting, nor if it fits neatly into any of the boxes. The benefit is having taken a deeper look into a part of myself that I don't normally notice.

7. Gaze

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    INFPishy
    Of course, we are not types. We are people, far more complicated than personality descriptions. I think many here already know that. We are simply using it as a tool to get a better understanding of ourselves - take what we find useful and then figure out how it can help us improve and develop.

i mean, it doesn't have to be all or nothing you know. :)

8. VH

VH Variable Hybrid

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    NFJedi
    Enneagram:
    268 sx/so
    my dumb ass seems to keep forgetting this every time I hyperfocus on the details. hehe

9. OP
    KazeCraven

Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    IEI
    Enneagram:
    6w5 sp/sx
    +1

10. Billy

Billy Contents Under Pressure
    Donor

Threads:
    Featured Threads:
    MBTI:
    infj
    Enneagram:
    People certainly seem to use it like religion, thats for sure.