Why is INFJ the rarest type? | Page 2 | INFJ Forum

Why is INFJ the rarest type?

Underdog was far superior to Mighty Mouse.

(John started it)

Love this one too, played a game that was kind of a ripoff called Wonder Dog which was also cool

I see your Underdog and raise the pot by one Catweasel :tearsofjoy:

(They never showed Underdog on our TV when I was a kid, nor when my own kids were that sort of age - two generations deprived :screamcat::screamcat:)
Oh, you missed out. I had a daily routine of watching Underdog while eating my lunch and then heading off to afternoon kindergarten.

Loved the sweet, lovable shoeshine boy persona of underdog and how he'd always be there for Polly Purebred, who somehow always ended up in the clutches of the bad guy.

I think in some way INFJs see themselves as that quiet superhero. We could thrive on attention, but don't ask for it and when it's given we blush and hide. We need to be private.

Mighty mouse was too... loud. I'll take Mickey.

Looked up Catweasel and not finding much (your video is blocked for the US to view.)

Last edited:
I think in some way INFJs see themselves as that quiet superhero. We could thrive on attention, but don't ask for it. We need to be private.
Definitely. It’s more Yoda than Batman with us though. Norns and Istari instead of the Seven Samurai.

It’s a shame you can’t see the Catweazle clip. Here’s a Wikipedia link
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catweazle

Who ate all the pizza? I gotta stop showing up late.

Quiet Superhero makes sense. solving the world's problems without the want of the spotlight makes sense. One problem would be remembering where I put the super suit. That inferior Se can be fun.

I think Ni is a weird function. I feel at times like I'm living in reverse. When I speak and think I jump around with tangents that some get very lost following. Explaining my thinking takes a long time and usually explaining 1-2 extra concepts as a basis for understanding.

I'm glad the link between INFJ type and shamanism was brought up(thank you @John K).

My thoughts are along similar lines. I think the INFJ type specifically would have been the most likely to be the shaman or "medicine man" in ancient tribal cultures. They were often, from what I can remember, the "outcast" or the "reject" in their early life who was sent away, abandoned in the wild, or sent to die. The archetype of the shaman is heroic, because they end up not dying but discovering the hidden secrets mysterious aspects of reality, which saves the shaman from death. The shaman, assumed to be dead, returns to the tribe with medicine, knowledge, magic, visions, and stories that in the end edifies the tribe.

I think, however dominant intuitives in general would fall into the Ayruvedic type(dosha) vatta. The vatta constitution in traditional Indian medicine links the personality to the "elements" of the earth, like wind, water, fire, and soil. Vatta types are associated with "wind" and "water"; they are the "messengers" who have a "dry" and "cerebral" personality, and whose physical constitution determines their preferences and purpose(s). Imo, dominant intuitives are strong in vatta and are generally a lot alike and are motivated similarly. MBTI, imo, makes further distinctions to match traits as can be observed in modern cultures.

Not the full scene that I wanted to share as no one uploaded it to YT but this will do.

This thread lol....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Let's face it, we are the rarest type because we are the recipients of an incredible gift from the creator, and the source of endless envy from the more common types out there. I speak of any type above 1.5% of the population.

If we were a precious stone we would be a diamond; if we were a natural light display in the sky, we would be aurora borealis. We are a miracle!

I love these replies.

I also concede that it takes a certain kind of personality to take the test, and take further interest thereafter. Is it even still employed as a tool in the US regularly? If so, it would only take into account the US populace and less so the rest of the world.

There could even be hidden INFJs in the population that have taken the test, but since the test is inherently flawed, it doesn't give them the right result. Same the other way around, although I can't fathom why someone would want to be one of us (on the other had, I couldn't bear being anyone but myself).

There is also the conspiracy theory that INFJs are made, because it's rare that any one of us isn't in some way damaged because of our experiences. I have yet to properly meet a stable thoroughbred INFJ.

Hi there...now you have met one ;)

Let's face it, we are the rarest type because we are the recipients of an incredible gift from the creator, and the source of endless envy from the more common types out there. I speak of any type above 1.5% of the population.

If we were a precious stone we would be a diamond; if we were a natural light display in the sky, we would be aurora borealis. We are a miracle!
giphy.gif

In literal speaking it could be one of few things.
1. Statistically speaking, it is a sign that the combinations of answers to equate to an INFJ typing are not common.
2. Not enough INFJs actually take the test so they are underrepresented.

Now in joke speech, INFJs are the faeries of the MBTI world so only a special breed can find them..

Not enough INFJs actually take the test so they are underrepresented.

This is very unlikely. IN types love taking tests / exploring personality traits. I don't think there are grounds for assuming consistent under-representation.

There is also the conspiracy theory that INFJs are made, because it's rare that any one of us isn't in some way damaged because of our experiences. I have yet to properly meet a stable thoroughbred INFJ.

I haven't either, all the ones I've really gotten to know in person are pretty neurotic in some way and have been through a tremendous amount of shit. I've got a lot of admiration though that most of them haven't really let it stopped them from having some great character that shows in adverse situations.

2. Not enough INFJs actually take the test so they are underrepresented.

I'm doubtful, if anything I kinda think it's the opposite. Most INFJs I know feel pretty weird with themselves and tend to do a lot of self exploration which can often lead to MBTI.

This is very unlikely. IN types love taking tests / exploring personality traits. I don't think there are grounds for assuming consistent under-representation.

I haven't either, all the ones I've really gotten to know in person are pretty neurotic in some way and have been through a tremendous amount of shit. I've got a lot of admiration though that most of them haven't really let it stopped them from having some great character that shows in adverse situations.

I'm doubtful, if anything I kinda think it's the opposite. Most INFJs I know feel pretty weird with themselves and tend to do a lot of self exploration which can often lead to MBTI.

I think it's more likely the opposite - that the figures overestimate the number of INFJs because they are more likely to pursue MBTI with more energy than many other types. I also think quite a few of these are probably mistyped, because Ni isn't easy to grasp - the narrative descriptions of it are not always very good.

Being grossly misunderstood in childhood is very bad for anyone's stability. Those of us who had one or both parents as NFs were incredibly lucky in the lottery of life - because we don't get any mercy from other kids our own age. Most INFJ children had problems fitting in at home as well as with their peer group.

I agree with all of this^. Especially the trauma / neurosis part & the resilience and refinement of character bit.

I agree with all of this^. Especially the trauma / neurosis part & the resilience and refinement of character bit.
I'd rather not have the problems than have the character.

INFJ: Hey y'all better look at what's coming up behind you.
Everyone else: We're fine, that's not a problem
INFJ: You sure you don't just want to give that a second look?
EE: No. Sit down and stay out of this.
INFJ: But...
EE: Stop.
INFJ: sigh

*steamroller starts to decimate the project*

EE: Run away! Run away! Save yourselves!
INFJ: Fine. I got this.

*takes keys out of steamroller*

EE: Wow, you really handled that back there.

*two days later*

EE: It's all the INFJ's fault.​

I'd rather not have the problems than have the character.

INFJ: Hey y'all better look at what's coming up behind you.
Everyone else: We're fine, that's not a problem
INFJ: You sure you don't just want to give that a second look?
EE: No. Sit down and stay out of this.
INFJ: But...
EE: Stop.
INFJ: sigh

*steamroller starts to decimate the project*

EE: Run away! Run away! Save yourselves!
INFJ: Fine. I got this.

*takes keys out of steamroller*

EE: Wow, you really handled that back there.

*two days later*

EE: It's all the INFJ's fault.​
INFJ: I'm not giving you idiots the keys back.