Why do INFJs and INTPs hate each other so much? | INFJ Forum

Why do INFJs and INTPs hate each other so much?

bluevideogame

Oct 8, 2013
MBTI
intp
Enneagram
Why do INFJs and INTPs hate each other so much?

This is a serious question.
Please help me understand this hateful annoying dynamic.

Reactions: Norton
I know a handful of INTPs and we get along fairly well, so I am not sure the initial assumption stating otherwise is universal. However, I will note that the INFJ-INTP dynamic can have tension at times because of how our respective dominant functions work. Ni processes information from the top down, laying out the plans for a proverbial forest before the individual trees, while Ti processes from the bottom up, building one tree at a time, perfectly composed, until the forest is done. On top of this, Ni works more or less unconsciously and can be extraordinarily abstract, which can also conflict with Ti's insistence on clean, linear logic.

Each function has their merits, they simply must be balanced. Instead of assuming your relationship is indicative of all relationships between our types, perhaps some thorough analysis of your personal situation is in order. Many factors contribute to the interactive chemistry between people - isolate and analyze them all to see what could be going on.

Reactions: Blind Bandit
Do they? I've not met one I really hated as far as I know.... one kind of bugs me because he's confident as sin but.... that's irrelevant.

Thats funny...everything Ive seen suggests they often get on quite well. I know of/have heard of quite a few INFJ - INTP relationships and most INTPs I know have said they usually really like NFJs.

This stereotyping is all bullshit anyway, but thats my answer if we're playing the game.

In part to defend the OP as I see their point as in part correct and add some prospective to this thread. Here is my take on why sometimes INFJs and INTPs do struggle to get along.

NTs, especially those who are not mature make the mistake of thinking their logic is inflatable. Moreover INTPs like many types like to debate and argue and winning these debates can be more important than actually moving the topic forward. Or said INTP may fall into the trap of worrying to much about formal issues (formal logic, grammar, spelling, and other technicalities) that they loose site of the actually issue (Ti).

But we must also address the INFJ is this conversation. INFJs in general don't like conflict and only see conflict as a barrier to the end not a means like some (Fe). Also they don't worry nearly as much about being right but more about moving the topic forward (Ni). But if conflict arises they might revert to wanting to be right (Fe) if it means the conflict will stop, even. They may be good at debate but they would rather discuss something and might struggle with not taking things too personally.

Also I should point out that the less mature each person is the more they will struggle to see eye to eye. I've noticed as I've gotten older Ti doesn't bother me as much. But I still find INTPs to be too worried about detail or technical details that don't matter in a debate unless you care about winning.

I think the frustration is finding INFJs who can't coherently put together an argument. All the while, they think they can, but in reality they are oblivious.

INFJs arguing is like a swarm of metaphorical killer martyr bees who kamikaze ad hominem logic error the enemy, by banning the user. They avoid the argument, maybe they can't fully grasp logical structure, they form a unit of attacking the persons character posing the argument (such as immaturity), they then make the person giving the argument get banned. Due to their hive mind mentality. All the while, the argument has not even been considered, because it hurts their feelings. Seriously INFJs. Do you all argue this way? I know that there is a great possibility of me getting banned, and you completely proving my point. And you will not even notice, that you proved my point, because you are incapable of logical analysis.

I think the frustration is finding INFJs who can't coherently put together an argument. All the while, they think they can, but in reality they are oblivious.

They also get defensive. Watch.

INFJs arguing is like a swarm of metaphorical killer martyr bees who kamikaze ad hominem logic error the enemy, by banning the user. They avoid the argument, maybe they can't fully grasp logical structure, they form a unit of attacking the persons character posing the argument (such as immaturity), they then make the person giving the argument get banned. Due to their hive mind mentality. All the while, the argument has not even been considered, because it hurts their feelings. Seriously INFJs. Do you all argue this way? I know that there is a great possibility of me getting banned, and you completely proving my point. And you will not even notice, that you proved my point, because you are incapable of logical analysis.

And case in point to my post about INTPs and INFJs and why they can't discuss things....

Reactions: Sandie33
Also to [MENTION=9744]bluevideogame[/MENTION], if you here to complain about INFJs your not likely to get a warm reception.

Perhaps you should edit this thread's title just a tad bit? (assuming that's even possible... I never tried) As far as I know, INFJs are usually quite fond of INTPs.

It must be hard for you all, right now.

Perhaps INTPs feel hated because INFJs will often question your principles, methodology and decision-making.

I mean, under pressure INTPs seem to buckle easily and make a lot of mistakes and bad, arbitrary decisions. In a professional setting INTPs can easily lose a lot of respect quickly if they are not careful.

Last edited: