Why Arguing Religion is Pointless | Page 3 | INFJ Forum

Why Arguing Religion is Pointless

"
im not going to explain myself, just believe me because I self attest having great knowledge on the subject. The point is just blindly accept my own belief."

Are you commenting that the OP's point is not supported and you disagree with it (in an inflammatory way), or are you just commenting on the frame of mind of the OP in an insulting way, which is off topic? Either way, it seems your post doesn't belong here. If you disagree, then put up your arguments for I would like to hear them. If you are just being rude, then stop. No one wants that.

Are you commenting that the OP's point is not supported and you disagree with it (in an inflammatory way), or are you just commenting on the frame of mind of the OP in an insulting way, which is off topic? Either way, it seems your post doesn't belong here. If you disagree, then put up your arguments for I would like to hear them. If you are just being rude, then stop. No one wants that.

What im saying is pretty self evident.

One of the many, many, many, many things which reveals why Religion is poisonous and capricious, is because it constantly demands praise for virtues and moralities which does not require faith to act upon and uphold.

Name one moral action or statement committed by a believer that could not be made or uttered by a non-believer.

Appendix question: Name one wicked act committed by a religious-inspired believer: you wouldn't hesitate to respond, would you?

Last edited:
One of the many, many, many, many things which reveals why Religion is poisonous and capricious, is because it constantly demands praise for virtues and moralities which does not require faith to act upon and uphold.

Name one moral action or statement committed by a believer that could not be made or uttered by a non-believer.

I'm confused by what you mean. Are you trying to say that religion teaches a person to expect/demand praise for virtuous acts and (adding this myself) to expect/demand punishment for vicious acts? All virtuous and vicious actions can be taken outside of a religious framework, and so is better? I don't see how that follows, can you please elaborate?

I'm confused by what you mean. Are you trying to say that religion teaches a person to expect/demand praise for virtuous acts and (adding this myself) to expect/demand punishment for vicious acts? All virtuous and vicious actions can be taken outside of a religious framework, and so is better? I don't see how that follows, can you please elaborate?

The 'non-believers can commit the equally vicious acts' argument believes in a false premise that assumes that non-believers with all of their individual reasons to commit such acts and then lumping them all together. You cannot categorize every non-believer because they hold no personal doctrine which dictates their decisions and personal choices in life. The religiously-inspired terrorist attacks can all be traced to a particular set of ideas based on looking at even the most minimal evidence. I've found more evidence for such attacks than all of the evidence I could possibly have found to prove the existence of God; something of-which all have been unsuccessful in achieving for thousands of years.

Last edited:
dogman6126 said:
On the other hand, the rationality of religious belief is less restrictive! Religious belief per se isn't making a claim at knowledge, and so its rationality is not restricted by truth and more importantly proof. Religious belief may be justified by psychological need, and one may be rational for doing so even if the belief is not true because it isn't knowledge in this sense.

I like your explanation a lot. The ideal gas law example in particular.

I think the gist of my point is that there is such a thing which the eastern spiritual prophets suggest as "absolute" knowledge of God-consciousness, which they suggest a lot of the other organized religious methodologies which are less esoteric try to offer a more practical version of.....similar to how the gas laws may work as a practical model, while hiding a lot of what's going on beneath the surface.
This is why when it comes down to it a more "hardcore" scientific rationalist is dissatisfied with these organized religious methodologies -- because full consistency never was the aim, more like a projection of the insights of the most mystical prophets onto our practical world.

I think for the most hardcore skeptics though, there's no hope but to aim for the more absolute forms of knowledge rather than the more practical ones.

My knowledge is the religious prophets often say though that accepting the practical religious methodologies as absolute is a mistake, and that one should certainly (as with your ideal gas law example) know there's more behind there. Thus, many of them suggest that an extreme adherence to such laws is not advisable, and even suggest that it leads to superstition....and that even if they believe there's great things to come of God-knowledge, it is singularly better to be more of a scientific mind than to fall into superstition. They'd also argue that true "faith" only comes from God-knowledge in a more absolute sense, not through practical religion---parallel to us saying memorizing the laws you said were limited and of a more practical use isn't ultimately an enlightened view of science, even if it has its uses.

My general point is only the most fundamental God-knowledge is something one can it seems plausibly argue falls in the realm of faith--- an "irrational" factor. Whenever one speaks of how to live one's life practically, that falls in the overlap between what religion may offer suggestions on and what science and non-religious philosophy may suggest things about. My own personal bias is to go with science and non-religious philosophy for such things hands down, and leave religion for discovery of that irrational factor (irrational in Jung's sense, not in the sense of nonsense!)

Last edited:
Well then I'm clueless. Please enlighten me.

No, you're just upset that I down voted your post and so you decided to be petty and down vote a post you supposedly don't understand. Grow up.

Religion is to the religious, as is science to the scientists.

Arguing, criticizing and constructive debates are fine, you can take faith from a different perspective, like a concept and that's conceivable and has been done multiple times, i don't see how that couldn't be debated. I'm not one who knows that much about theology anyway.
There's a difference between debate and constant preachiness, zealotry, bar fight like stupidity. Going from both sides religion is shit vs yall going to hell it's just not worth time imo.

Flavus, your empiricist is showing ;). Why is the value or importance of a topic entirely dependent on its provability? If the only things you consider to be meaningful are those things that are absolutely undeniable, then you are reduced to only one thing that has meaning. The concept that you exist. All else can be denied, for even science requires assumptions that themselves cannot be proven. For example, there being an external world.
Third time lucky?

There's no point arguing about theism/atheism because there is no conclusive proof for either.

Most times those that run down religion or spirituality couldn't write a thesis on it in the first place.

I tend to enjoy the company of Christians. Christians tend to be moral and considerate. There's normally no need to change these people.

Muslims on the other hand..

Last edited:
The 'non-believers can commit the equally vicious acts' argument believes in a false premise that assumes that non-believers with all of their individual reasons to commit such acts and then lumping them all together. You cannot categorize every non-believer because they hold no personal doctrine which dictates their decisions and personal choices in life. The religiously-inspired terrorist attacks can all be traced to a particular set of ideas based on looking at even the most minimal evidence. I've found more evidence for such attacks than all of the evidence I could possibly have found to prove the existence of God; something of-which all have been unsuccessful in achieving for thousands of years.

If I am understanding you correctly, then I disagree. To say equally vicious acts isn't to say identical acts. For example, murdering someone for an objectively pointless religious exercise seems equally vicious as murdering someone for a perverse pleasure. If not equal, then I would say that they are both so extreme that to categorize one over the other is pointless (limiting to the one example). Notice that most homicides that occur are not religiously inspired. If anything, the war on drugs has cost more lives in America than supposedly religiously driven violence. Further, notice that you must consider scale. the majority of the population is religious, but only a minimal fraction of the crime (including, but not limited to terrorism) committed can be traced back to religious motivation. It seems clear there isn't a strong correlation between religion in general and crime in general.

Further, you seem not to consider the good acts of religion, of which there are so many. It isn't seen on a global scale (usually) the way that the terrorist actions are, but this permeate religious communities. People who are religious tend to be more altruistic or forgiving. Actually, I just thought of St Jude's cancer research hospital. That is a religiously affiliated hospital leading the way to successful cancer research and treatment.

I would even deny the argument that religion is the primary motivator for most supposedly religious conflicts. While those in power might use religion as a rallying cry to their banner, it isn't the primary motivator. Many such conflicts can be traced to political issues. Disputes over land, resources, personal greed, pride, etc. To condemn religion the way you seem to do seems far to harsh.

Third time lucky?

There's no point arguing about theism/atheism because there is no conclusive proof for either.

We debate things without conclusive proof for either all the time. That is how progress is made. Lack of discussion will stall progress. There are several perspectives that I have gained from debating religion that apply to other notions in philosophy. Definitions of truth and knowledge, or epistemic limits. Even my concept of rationality and reason have been informed by religious debate. The end doesn't have to be truth. The end might be wisdom.

Placing blame on religion as a whole for mass murder is way off the mark and even silly. I don't see why should i patronize humans for their terrible acts, as if they are brainwashed and deluded with smoke and mirrors, fairy tales and promises of salvation. In many ways that mindset is even less humanistic and more naive. My opinion is that most people are more aware of their acts and motivations than it may seem, many are perpetuators, and pretty far from victims.

I think we've sorted this out on VM now; but FWIW these terms often have multiple meanings in the dictionaries, and I'd say the way to resolve this is to say (note this is not an exhaustive/canonical collection of definitions, just the way I use the words)

- logic is just the formal structure behind reason
- "reasonable" sometimes involves claims that involve reason but are not wholly determined by it -- other times it involves claims wholly determined by it...and the way I was using it is the latter, rather than the former
- "reason" refers to the application of logic to experience to produce a truth claim about this application...there may be many equivalent logical formulations of a reason for something, e.g. many formulations of certain laws of physics, where equivalence involves the ability to stipulate a logic which maps between the two hypothesized equivalent claims.

I think my statements are all true if you interpret in these particular lights. And am very aware of these terms having different meanings, but I didn't want to get into this formal clarification unless someone wanted (which apparently you do).

I read everything you wrote but I cannot give a full response as I am traveling and writing from my phone. My whole point and as wrote, faith by definition exists in the absence of proof. That is not logic or reason. For a long time people logically and rationally believed that men could not fly or that a train traveling at >21 mph would kill everyone on board. Religious individuals as you will say will make logical and/or rational statements about their religion but once challenged can refute any argument on the basis of faith. Its not what or is what they believe. As I said, I am not here to argue the value or merits of that perspective but to identify that it is the reality of debating religion. From my understanding and therefore my rational train of thought, I have no conclusive proof of God or Gods or an afterlife. So to my idea of logic, they can't be said to exist or not exist. Individuals will point to whatever religious text they believe in as proof but that is not evidence in my perspective. But in theirs, it is all the proof they need to support their faith. Blind faith does exist and can be rather dangerous. The point is, faith at its core is not bound by proof which means it cannot be neither fully supported or disputed by logic, reason or evidence. Even if it is an irrational construct of the mind, it is the reality of the individuals perspective. I will not speculate on the value or validity of faith since that is against the point. And perhaps futile is a better word because the arguments result because when it comes to a discussion of faith, the argument enters a possible realm beyond the scope of logic and reason.

And just as a side not. Discussion about religion and faith can be great. Just arguing against or for it is in my perspective pointless

Reactions: Elegant Winter
For myself, a big part of why I think discussing religion isn't pointless is being able to hear people out on their views on it. Regardless if it turns into a battle of people defending their theistic or anti-theistic views, it offers perspective and, for myself, an understanding of why people hold the convictions that they do. The only time I think it's pointless to discuss or debate it is when people refuse to partake in a heavy discussion because of the consequences it will inevitably have. What's the point of a discussion or a debate if we can't hold true to our own convictions, whatever they may be, and defend them, analyze them, discuss them? The problem is, most religious people never want to understand nor have ever cared for my reasons why I hold the views that I do. And I'm sure they can say the same about many non-believers. I myself am a humanist and an anti-theist. I believe religion is a means to control masses. I also dislike the fact that people tie goodness and morality directly into how religious a person is. I could go on for hours. But such things will never be able to be discussed without igniting flames, so therefore let us be placated and complacent and discuss the weather instead, because that isn't pointless, right?

Reactions: Xroads
[MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] why do you think that it can't be discussed without igniting flames?

[MENTION=13729]Free[/MENTION] why do you think that it can't be discussed without igniting flames?

Because when something is said like "religion is poison" - a sentiment that I agree with, it is automatically taken as an attack on said religion. When someone says something like "religion teaches morality" I also take offense to such a sentiment because in how I perceive it, suggesting that to be moral you must be religious. But just because offense is taken does not mean that I don't wish to discuss it further. And if I get my panties in a bunch and reply with a flaming statement of some kind, that is also taken as an attack instead of as a passionate response to a conviction that I hold. I wish we could hold more discussions on these topics. I wish we didn't respond to each other in such flaming ways. I wish each and every one of us took responsibility for what we say and how we act here, but, we are only human.